Old 11-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Russell Schoen

Default System randomly booted up in 640x480

So I'm running Debian Squeeze 64-bit, and this morning my computer randomly booted up into 640x480. I have no idea why, my computer was fine last night, it was running at 1440x900. I went to X Server options, and it wouldn't let me raise the res. I'm completely baffled. I wish I could elaborate more, I just can't

Any idea's at all would be appreciated.
--
The cake...

*...is a pie

Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 15:01:51 +0000, Russell Schoen wrote:

> So I'm running Debian Squeeze 64-bit, and this morning my computer
> randomly booted up into 640x480. I have no idea why, my computer was
> fine last night, it was running at 1440x900. I went to X Server options,
> and it wouldn't let me raise the res. I'm completely baffled. I wish I
> could elaborate more, I just can't
>
> Any idea's at all would be appreciated.

I would compare both, current "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" and old "/var/log/
Xorg.0.log.old" and check for the differences.

Have you updated/changed your VGA drivers recently?

What's your VGA card and what driver are you loading?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 16:23:39 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote in message
<pan.2011.11.06.16.23.39@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 15:01:51 +0000, Russell Schoen wrote:
>
> > So I'm running Debian Squeeze 64-bit, and this morning my computer
> > randomly booted up into 640x480. I have no idea why, my computer was
> > fine last night, it was running at 1440x900. I went to X Server
> > options, and it wouldn't let me raise the res. I'm completely
> > baffled. I wish I could elaborate more, I just can't
> >
> > Any idea's at all would be appreciated.
>
> I would compare both, current "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" and old "/var/log/
> Xorg.0.log.old" and check for the differences.
>
> Have you updated/changed your VGA drivers recently?
>
> What's your VGA card and what driver are you loading?
>
> Greetings,

..also chk dmesg for disk read errors, those might serve your
graphics etc hw subtly bad code from good source.
Other WAG might be burned out GPU or cpu, but my bets are
disk read errors or way old bios battery going too low.

..you'll find your story in /var/log/.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: