-   -   Hi, how to control the speed of fan? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/594934-hi-how-control-speed-fan.html)

Camaleón 11-05-2011 01:31 PM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:14:06 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

> Oh, it is such a coincidence.
> My nick name is Introom, and the post :
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117784 was posted by me month
> ago.

And what was the result of the suggested tips? Did you try any of them?
Because they're still valid even though you are now running Debian :-)

> Camaleón, how did you find that?

No black magic nor weird enchantments. It is one of the first
Google search results:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#q=%22studio+1458%22+fan+spe ed+control&hl=en&tbo=1&complete=0&site=&output=sea rch&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=gUe1TuboEsKP8gP79 tH-BA&ved=0CAgQpwUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&f p=9d28ca7b8f63830e&biw=1280&bih=888

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

shiyao ma 11-05-2011 02:11 PM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

I tried echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
and the fan began to stop from time to time, however, it comes along with a terrific bad side:

see the result of debug:
root@Eddie-Laptop:/home/eddie# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
default engine clock: 675000 kHz
current engine clock: 156990 kHz
default memory clock: 800000 kHz
current memory clock: 199960 kHz

voltage: 900 mV
PCIE lanes: 16

Now. I am waiting for the catalyst coming out.
Plus, I have already install radeon. How can I totally uninstall it , and install catalyst without conflicts?
Thanks,

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.11.05.14.31.11@gmail.com

Camaleón 11-05-2011 03:07 PM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 23:11:33 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

(please, keep your message at the bottom and avoid html)

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:14:06 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:
>>
>> > Oh, it is such a coincidence.
>> > My nick name is Introom, and the post :
>> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117784 was posted by me
>> > month ago.
>>
>> And what was the result of the suggested tips? Did you try any of them?
>> Because they're still valid even though you are now running Debian :-)

> I tried echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile and the fan
> began to stop from time to time, however, it comes along with a terrific
> bad side:
> see the result of debug:
> root@Eddie-Laptop:/home/eddie# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
> default engine clock: 675000 kHz
> current engine clock: 156990 kHz
> default memory clock: 800000 kHz
> current memory clock: 199960 kHz
> voltage: 900 mV
> PCIE lanes: 16

Are those values bad/wrong? They look a bit high, maybe is that you card is
not capable of running/applying those power savings profiles? :-?

Anyway, you have more info on how to tweak the power settings of the ATI card
(when using KMS and radeon driver) here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

If one method does not work, try with another until you find one that likes you,
but also keep and eye on the temperatute of your notebook.

> Now. I am waiting for the catalyst coming out. Plus, I have already
> install radeon. How can I totally uninstall it , and install catalyst
> without conflicts?

Playing with vga drivers is always risky and the first step for problems to arise.
You will have to evaluate your current situation, if you can afford having the fan
always on then consider trying the ATI drivers.

If you compile upstream drivers, just ensure to disable KMS, maybe that's enough
and you won't need to remove radeon driver at all. If you use Debian stock ATI
closed drivers, they will take care of disabling KMS for you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Dotan Cohen 11-05-2011 05:00 PM

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 13:41, shiyao ma <i@introo.me> wrote:
> I searched on the Net, and according to the Wiki of arch, I should first
> install lm_sensors. Then, I ran sensors-detect. After doing that, I ran
> sensors, and got the following output:
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1:******* +26.8°C* (crit = +88.0°C)
>
> radeon-pci-0100
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1:******* +54.5°C
>
> coretemp-isa-0000
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 0:****** +46.0°C* (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
> Core 2:****** +40.0°C* (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
>
> As you can see, the result is not complete. My laptop is dell studio 1458,
> and the cpu is i3. I am supposed to modify the sensors.conf to add something
> so as to make sensors show the rpm of my fan. But the problem is I don't
> know my chip's name. I guess my chip's name should be coretemp, but there is
> no coretemp in the conf.
> My final purpose is to control down the fan, and I am in wheezy.
> What should I do?
> Thanks

I was using this on my old Inspiron:
http://dellfand.dinglisch.net/

While googling for it just now I found this competing utility:
http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il