-   -   Hi, how to control the speed of fan? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/594915-hi-how-control-speed-fan.html)

Camaleón 11-05-2011 11:55 AM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:41:58 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

(please, keep the posts that share the same subject in the same thread)

> I searched on the Net, and according to the Wiki of arch, I should first
> install lm_sensors. Then, I ran sensors-detect. After doing that, I ran
> sensors, and got the following output:
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1: +26.8°C (crit = +88.0°C)
>
> radeon-pci-0100
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1: +54.5°C
>
> coretemp-isa-0000
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 0: +46.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
> Core 2: +40.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
>
> As you can see, the result is not complete.

According to that wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_Speed_Control

***
If your output does not display an RPM value for your CPU fan, and you
are positive it is running, you need to increase the fan divisor. If your
fan speed is shown and higher than 0, skip the next step.
***

> My laptop is dell studio 1458, and the cpu is i3. I am supposed to
> modify the sensors.conf to add something so as to make sensors show the
> rpm of my fan. But the problem is I don't know my chip's name. I guess
> my chip's name should be coretemp, but there is no coretemp in the conf.

I would also look at lm-sensors documentation:

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Documentation

> My final purpose is to control down the fan, and I am in wheezy. What
> should I do?

There is also good feedback in this forum post:

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Jörg-Volker Peetz 11-05-2011 11:57 AM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

Maybe you could try to play with /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method (look
for "KMS Power Management Options" and "dynpm" on
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature).
Also, did you try the powertop command (from the powertop package) for power
management informations and adjustments?
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

shiyao ma 11-05-2011 01:09 PM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

You guys are nice guys. But I have one more question, what's the proper way to reply to this subject? I am now using gmail with browser, should I click the reply to all?
If I click reply to all, then the receiver will be :

To: xxx@xxx.com
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org

seems a little strange

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/j93br5$3i2$1@dough.gmane.org

--
My gpg pubring is available via: gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys
307CF736

--
Eddie --- A Foolish Guy

Student Of Department Of Computer Science & Technology
Tsinghua University
Beijing* P.R.China

shiyao ma 11-05-2011 01:14 PM

Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

Oh, it is such a coincidence.
My nick name is Introom, and the post :https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117784 was posted by me month ago.
Camaleón, how did you find that?

You guys are nice guys. But I have one more question, what's the proper way to reply to this subject? I am now using gmail with browser, should I click the reply to all?
If I click reply to all, then the receiver will be :

To: xxx@xxx.com
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org

seems a little strange