Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Artifex Maximus

Default linux-headers with GCC 4.6 when

Hello!

I have installed virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-dkms. DKMS needs
linux-headers which depends on gcc-4.5 even I have an already
installed gcc and gcc-4.6. Is it intentional or not? Is gcc 4.6 cannot
compile kernel? I have enough disk space yet but gcc twice is
unnecessary and I just wondering.

Bye,

Old 11-05-2011, 12:20 PM
David Sastre

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 01:39:17PM +0100, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have installed virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-dkms. DKMS needs
> linux-headers which depends on gcc-4.5 even I have an already
> installed gcc and gcc-4.6. Is it intentional or not? Is gcc 4.6 cannot
> compile kernel? I have enough disk space yet but gcc twice is
> unnecessary and I just wondering.

The modules built by dkms must match the gcc version used to compile
the kernel. Install gcc-4.5 and add it to the alternatives system to
select which to use, or export CC for manual compilations.

From my POV, it's not unnecessary to have different versions of some
software (gcc, perl java,...).

--
Huella de clave primaria: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179 60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56

Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Artifex Maximus

Hello!

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM, David Sastre <d.sastre.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 01:39:17PM +0100, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> I have installed virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-dkms. DKMS needs
>> linux-headers which depends on gcc-4.5 even I have an already
>> installed gcc and gcc-4.6. Is it intentional or not? Is gcc 4.6 cannot
>> compile kernel? I have enough disk space yet but gcc twice is
>> unnecessary and I just wondering.
> The modules built by dkms must match the gcc version used to compile
> the kernel. Install gcc-4.5 and add it to the alternatives system to
> select which to use, or export CC for manual compilations.

I see. Thanks for the answer. This means as long as kernel compiled
with gcc 4.5 dkms depends on gcc 4.5.

> From my POV, it's not unnecessary to have different versions of some
> software (gcc, perl java,...).

Different people different needs. :-)