Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 PM
"Eric d'Halibut"

Default Nano in squeeze: fill doesn't work

I just dist-upgraded from lenny to squeeze and find that nano, my
editor-of-choice for use with mutt, no longer honors its .nanorc file:

set autoindent
set cut
set fill 68
set multibuffer
set smarthome
set speller /usr/bin/ispell
set tabsize 4
set tabstospaces
set tempfile

"set fill 68" appears to have no effect. I have to "manually" hit
Ctrl-J to get lines to wrap.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

http://trollboy.thruhere.net:8080/MontyPython/fish.htm

Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 AM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Eric d'Halibut, 4.11.2011:
> I just dist-upgraded from lenny to squeeze and find that nano, my
> editor-of-choice for use with mutt, no longer honors its .nanorc file:
>
> set autoindent
> set cut
> set fill 68
> set multibuffer
> set smarthome
> set speller /usr/bin/ispell
> set tabsize 4
> set tabstospaces
> set tempfile
>
> "set fill 68" appears to have no effect. I have to "manually" hit
> Ctrl-J to get lines to wrap.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

I have the same behavior on sid. It gets "fixed" by adding

unset nowrap

to the .nanorc file.

BTW, I have to thank you because I also use nano in mutt and had been
annoyed by this no-line-wrapping behavior, though not enough to look
around for how to manipulate it.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
"Eric d'Halibut"

On 11/5/11, Selim T. Erdogan <selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> unset nowrap

Ah. Thank you!

Strangely, just overnight too, they seem to have magically modified my
copy of 'man nanorc' to include that dubious option!

:-)