Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Alternatives to Iceape Display Problems?

My system is squeeze. For years I have used the iceape mail which
automaticaly transfers url links in received emails to the iceape
browser. Convenient but the browser is not alway able to display images
in the linked url sites, not even some utube videos. This problem has
gotten worse since squeeze became stable. A partial solution is to
install google chrome, copy the links in the emails (iceape mail has a
have received emails with included images with no links and iceape mail
is unable to display the email images.

What to do? I have tried to install other email clients - evolution and
balsa - but am having trouble setting up the server links (iceape
provides a much more detailed server link setup) so I don't know if
these email clients could display the email image contents.

I am still working on the email setup problems while unsure that success
will solve the image display problem.

Any relevant experience?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 AM
didier gaumet

Hi,

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_messages_do_not_appear
may be this page will hell you

Old 11-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:33:28 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> My system is squeeze. For years I have used the iceape mail which
> automaticaly transfers url links in received emails to the iceape
> browser. Convenient but the browser is not alway able to display images
> in the linked url sites, not even some utube videos. This problem has
> gotten worse since squeeze became stable. A partial solution is to
> install google chrome, copy the links in the emails (iceape mail has a

You mean Iceape browser is not displaying images nor flash player videos
at all? For this problem, I would take a look into this KB:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_do_not_load

I have never experienced such issues in Firefox but I have installed the
latest version available from Mozilla :-?

> Lately I have received emails with included images with no links and
> iceape mail is unable to display the email images.

Didier already sent you another KB for this problem but I would also
review the raw code for the message, just to discard the MIME part it is
bad encoded or has any problem.

> What to do? I have tried to install other email clients - evolution and
> balsa - but am having trouble setting up the server links (iceape
> provides a much more detailed server link setup) so I don't know if
> these email clients could display the email image contents.

But of course :-)

Any hmtl cabaple e-mail reader should be able to display embedded images
when reading e-mails (for instance, Thunderbird -cousin of Iceape- it
does) and I would also expect that Iceape is able to do it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2011, 01:28 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 09:44:41AM +0100, didier gaumet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_messages_do_not_appear
> may be this page will hell you

I checked out this reference. The iceape preference settings are the
recommended settings.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:01:20AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:33:28 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > My system is squeeze. For years I have used the iceape mail which
> > automaticaly transfers url links in received emails to the iceape
> > browser. Convenient but the browser is not alway able to display images
> > in the linked url sites, not even some utube videos. This problem has
> > gotten worse since squeeze became stable. A partial solution is to
> > install google chrome, copy the links in the emails (iceape mail has a
>
> You mean Iceape browser is not displaying images nor flash player videos
> at all? For this problem, I would take a look into this KB:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_do_not_load

I checked out this reference too. The iceape settings are as
recommended except that one setting regarding navigation does not exist
in the iceape preferences. The reference also notes that flash problems
are discussed in a separate article Video_or_audio_does_not_play. This
page is blank.

I believe the flash plugin is the problem. I started using the Google
Chrome browser because it included the latest version of flash.
Checking the plugins in iceape I found three versions of Shockwave Flash
installed, each in a different directory:

dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125816 Sep 29 13:50 /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 275072 Sep 12 2010 /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so

dragon:~# ll /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 10606256 Mar 11 2011 /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

The September 29 date is consistent with the start of iceape browser
becoming very sluggish with messages about problems reading scripts. I
run dist-upgrade from time to time so an update may have been run at
that time.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:55:26 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:01:20AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> You mean Iceape browser is not displaying images nor flash player
>> videos at all? For this problem, I would take a look into this KB:
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_do_not_load
>
> I checked out this reference too. The iceape settings are as
> recommended except that one setting regarding navigation does not exist
> in the iceape preferences. The reference also notes that flash problems
> are discussed in a separate article Video_or_audio_does_not_play. This
> page is blank.

Try with this URI:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Video%20or%20audio%20does%20not%20play

> I believe the flash plugin is the problem. I started using the Google
> Chrome browser because it included the latest version of flash. Checking
> the plugins in iceape I found three versions of Shockwave Flash
> installed, each in a different directory:
>

> dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125816 Sep 29 13:50 /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

This is the wrapper file. Nowadays it should not be needed anymore, just leave
it as is.

> dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 275072 Sep 12 2010 /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so

This is the Gnash flash plugin. Some sites can reject loading flash content if
they don't detect the Adobe Flash Player plugins installed. Sad but true :-(

> dragon:~# ll /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
> -rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 10606256 Mar 11 2011 /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

(...)

And this is the Adobe Flash player plugin. Because it is located in your home,
it takes preference over system wide plugin folder at "/usr/lib[64]/mozilla/plugins/".

To ensure what flash plugin your browser sees, you can:

1/ Open Iceape browser and type "aboutlugins"
2/ Go to Adobe Flash test site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

And put here the results :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 04:44:06PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:55:26 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:01:20AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> You mean Iceape browser is not displaying images nor flash player
> >> videos at all? For this problem, I would take a look into this KB:
> >>
> >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_do_not_load
> >
> > I checked out this reference too. The iceape settings are as
> > recommended except that one setting regarding navigation does not exist
> > in the iceape preferences. The reference also notes that flash problems
> > are discussed in a separate article Video_or_audio_does_not_play. This
> > page is blank.
>
> Try with this URI:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Video%20or%20audio%20does%20not%20play
>
> > I believe the flash plugin is the problem. I started using the Google
> > Chrome browser because it included the latest version of flash. Checking
> > the plugins in iceape I found three versions of Shockwave Flash
> > installed, each in a different directory:
> >

> > dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125816 Sep 29 13:50 /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>
> This is the wrapper file. Nowadays it should not be needed anymore, just leave
> it as is.
>
> > dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 275072 Sep 12 2010 /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
>
> This is the Gnash flash plugin. Some sites can reject loading flash content if
> they don't detect the Adobe Flash Player plugins installed. Sad but true :-(
>
> > dragon:~# ll /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 10606256 Mar 11 2011 /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> (...)
>
> And this is the Adobe Flash player plugin. Because it is located in your home,
> it takes preference over system wide plugin folder at "/usr/lib[64]/mozilla/plugins/".
>
> To ensure what flash plugin your browser sees, you can:
>
> 1/ Open Iceape browser and type "aboutlugins"

This is how I found where the different versions of flash were
installed.

> 2/ Go to Adobe Flash test site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

There are no linkds to the Adobe test site in the iceape aboutlugins
listing. (Other plugings, VLC Multimedia Plugin for example, do include
url's)

> And put here the results :-)

Went to the Adobe site, downloaded and installed the latest version of
the plugin. The site lists Chrome as the appropriate browser for flash.

Finally, my apologies for not immediately following your earlier advice
to read the raw html code. I find I was forwarded a message which
failed to contain the jpeg images called in the html code.

Sorry I wasted our time by not checking this immediately.

Tom

Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:39:07 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 04:44:06PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> To ensure what flash plugin your browser sees, you can:
>>
>> 1/ Open Iceape browser and type "aboutlugins"
>
> This is how I found where the different versions of flash were
> installed.

It is fine to have several versions of the plugin. I also have Gnash
(installed system-wide) and Adobe's Flash installed in my mozilla home
folder, this way I can see how both work: Firefox uses Adobe flash while
Epiphany loads Gnash :-)

>> 2/ Go to Adobe Flash test site:
>> http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
>
> There are no linkds to the Adobe test site in the iceape aboutlugins
> listing. (Other plugings, VLC Multimedia Plugin for example, do include
> url's)

X-)

No, of course, you have to manually copy/paste the above URI into
Iceape's location bar and wait for the results. It's a flash player test
page for your browser.

>> And put here the results :-)
>
> Went to the Adobe site, downloaded and installed the latest version of
> the plugin. The site lists Chrome as the appropriate browser for flash.

But that will not solve your Iceape's problem with flash player and video
plugins :-?

> Finally, my apologies for not immediately following your earlier advice
> to read the raw html code. I find I was forwarded a message which
> failed to contain the jpeg images called in the html code.
>
> Sorry I wasted our time by not checking this immediately.

Don't worry, I wish all the errors were like that ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón