Old 11-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default gnome3 now in wheezy?

Hi,

I was under the mistaken impression that wheezy still had a usable
gnome, as opposed to sid which has "upgraded" to gnome3.

So I installed gnome-session on a new wheezy install and got a desktop
with a background with 3 icons on it, computer, home and trash.

But nothing works: there are no applications to select, no settings to
change.

And it seems to be gnome3 because F1 works. It displays a help window
that mentions "gnome3", but of course nothing what it says is true
because nothing is selectable.

Has anybody recently tried installing gnomse-session in wheezy? Is there
a way to "fix" this?

I tried installing gnome-session with "--no-install-recommends" and
without and the results are the same.

I created a mondo backup before installing gnome, so it is trivial to
revert to before the install.

Hugo

Archive: j918ie$u5p$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j918ie$u5p$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

I was under the mistaken impression that wheezy still had a usable
gnome, as opposed to sid which has "upgraded" to gnome3.

So I installed gnome-session on a new wheezy install and got a desktop
with a background with 3 icons on it, computer, home and trash.

But nothing works: there are no applications to select, no settings to
change.

And it seems to be gnome3 because F1 works. It displays a help window
that mentions "gnome3", but of course nothing what it says is true
because nothing is selectable.

Has anybody recently tried installing gnomse-session in wheezy? Is there
a way to "fix" this?

It appears to be "stale" user settings. So I created a new user and then
deleted all the files in my userid that showed up with the new user.

It's running...

Hugo

Archive: j91a6a$9j0$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j91a6a$9j0$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Victor Nitu

[...]

We'll have a lot of bumps these times on Gnome/testing, given the fact
migration

to Gnome 3 is currently happening.

As a temporary solution, I encourage you to head towards XFCE. It
provides the
same level of usability as a stable Gnome environment, and it hasn't
changed a bit,
compared to G. After 20 mins of configuration, you simply won't be able
to tell the

difference

Archive: 4EB42C13.4050908@debian-linux.ro">http://lists.debian.org/4EB42C13.4050908@debian-linux.ro

Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:49:01 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> I was under the mistaken impression that wheezy still had a usable
> gnome, as opposed to sid which has "upgraded" to gnome3.

Please, please.... don't confuse the terms :-)

Repeat with me:

"GNOME3 is not gnome-shell"

(again)

"GNOME3 is not gnome-shell"

(once again)

"GNOME3 is not gnome-shell"

(just joking, of course)

Wheezy has GNOME3 and the old gnome-panel (not gnome-shell), I mean,
wheezy has what you call "an usable GNOME". Sid also has GNOME3 but with
gnome-shell (featuring the new UI). Or at least that's what I have in my
Wheezy that was installed months ago, so this of course could have
changed.

> So I installed gnome-session on a new wheezy install and got a desktop
> with a background with 3 icons on it, computer, home and trash.

Good.

> But nothing works: there are no applications to select, no settings to
> change.
>
> And it seems to be gnome3 because F1 works. It displays a help window
> that mentions "gnome3", but of course nothing what it says is true
> because nothing is selectable.
>
> Has anybody recently tried installing gnomse-session in wheezy? Is there
> a way to "fix" this?

Could it be that you have missed some of the required packages to get a
full GNOME environment? Did you install any GNOME metapackage (e.g.,
"gnome-core" or "gnome-desktop-environment")? :-?

> I tried installing gnome-session with "--no-install-recommends" and
> without and the results are the same.
>
> I created a mondo backup before installing gnome, so it is trivial to
> revert to before the install.

I think we are getting a bit paranoid with the gnome3 and gnome-shell
change that is coming :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

I was under the mistaken impression that wheezy still had a usable
gnome, as opposed to sid which has "upgraded" to gnome3.

Please, please.... don't confuse the terms :-)

Repeat with me:

"GNOME3 is not gnome-shell"

From http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

GNOME Shell is the defining technology of the GNOME 3 user experience.

Hugo

Archive: j91ea7$8ko$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j91ea7$8ko$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Walter Hurry

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 13:27:01 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> GNOME Shell is the defining technology of the GNOME 3 user experience.

That's exactly the problem, and precisely why I have moved on to LXDE.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Walter Hurry wrote:

GNOME Shell is the defining technology of the GNOME 3 user experience.

That's exactly the problem, and precisely why I have moved on to LXDE.

Well, for years I have been using FVWM. It does everything one could
possibly want, except not quite what Compiz does for eyecandy. That was
the reason I moved to Gnome. Will try LXDE and XFCE4, I guess.

Hugo

Archive: j91ktl$nuo$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j91ktl$nuo$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 13:27:01 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:49:01 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>>> I was under the mistaken impression that wheezy still had a usable
>>> gnome, as opposed to sid which has "upgraded" to gnome3.
>>
>> Please, please.... don't confuse the terms :-)
>>
>> Repeat with me:
>>
>> "GNOME3 is not gnome-shell"
>>

> From http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
>
> GNOME Shell is the defining technology of the GNOME 3 user experience.

But they (gnome3 and gnome-shell) both are different and separate things.

GNOME2/3 are a whole DE while "gnome-panel" and "gnome-shell" are just
the UI (user interfaces), meaning that you can have GNOME3 with gnome-
panel, you are not sticked to use the new UI at all (see the fallback
mode).

I hope the concept is more clear now.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

From http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

GNOME Shell is the defining technology of the GNOME 3 user experience.

But they (gnome3 and gnome-shell) both are different and separate things.

GNOME2/3 are a whole DE while "gnome-panel" and "gnome-shell" are just
the UI (user interfaces), meaning that you can have GNOME3 with gnome-
panel, you are not sticked to use the new UI at all (see the fallback
mode).

Right. But the concept of separating the DE and the UI is new with the
"newfangled" Gnome. Even without the new UI the new DE is hard to
swallow, similar to the new GDM (GDM3) which in one swoop eliminated all
the niceties of GDM.

Hugo

Archive: j93iic$e9h$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j93iic$e9h$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:51:55 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> From http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
>>>
>>> GNOME Shell is the defining technology of the GNOME 3 user experience.
>>
>> But they (gnome3 and gnome-shell) both are different and separate
>> things.
>>
>> GNOME2/3 are a whole DE while "gnome-panel" and "gnome-shell" are just
>> the UI (user interfaces), meaning that you can have GNOME3 with gnome-
>> panel, you are not sticked to use the new UI at all (see the fallback
>> mode).
>>

> Right. But the concept of separating the DE and the UI is new with the
> "newfangled" Gnome. Even without the new UI the new DE is hard to
> swallow, similar to the new GDM (GDM3) which in one swoop eliminated all
> the niceties of GDM.

It's not a new thingy, gnome-shell is just a replacement for gnome-panel,
nothing more and nothing less. GNOME2 had also an UI that was called
gnome-panel, it has been always there although we did not notice :-)

Basically, the names of the components can be "permuted" as follows:

GNOME2 → GNOME3
gnome-panel → gnome-shell
metacity → mutter

Greetings,