Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 AM
rose perry

Default Can I insall from xp partition?

Hello I'm trying to install debian but the debian installer from goodbye microsoft does not work, Becausemy network card requires Firmware.* Nothing seems to work for me.* So Im going to try and dl a cd or 2 to
get it working, And install from XP if this is possible please let me know.* Maybe freeware version of VMware?But I think I remember this was possible without vmware?* As long as you had the data on xp.I have no cd's or dvd's or usb keys.* Im in the hospital with a broken leg and got another month or 2 here.I got other complications too.* So Im looking for a way to install debian the old fashion way.* ButI can't remember how.* Any Advice or any thing would be greatly appreciated.*

need an OS that challenges me.* I'm bored, Extremely bored and sick of xp or wintendo! hehe
desperately yours Tommy.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:59:01 -0700, rose perry wrote:

> Hello I'm trying to install debian but the debian installer from goodbye
> microsoft does not work, Because my network card requires Firmware.*

The installer allows you to put the firmware file into a floppy disk or
USB flash drive and get it from there.

> Nothing seems to work for me.* So Im going to try and dl a cd or 2 to
>
> get it working, And install from XP if this is possible please let me
> know.*

I would go for the usual way to install any linux distribution which is
downloading the ISO image (the first CD or DVD), then burn that file into
an optical media (as a Boot image, nots as usual data) and then boot the
computer from there.

> Maybe freeware version of VMware? But I think I remember this was
> possible without vmware?* As long as you had the data on xp. I have no
> cd's or dvd's or usb keys.* Im in the hospital with a broken leg and got
> another month or 2 here. I got other complications too.* So Im looking
> for a way to install debian the old fashion way.* But I can't remember
> how.* Any Advice or any thing would be greatly appreciated.

(...)

Wow... could be possible that someone in the know can perform the
installation for you? I say this because I'm afraid you are in a
delicated situation/scneario for performing an OS install :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Sian Mountbatten

rose perry wrote:

> Hello I'm trying to install debian but the debian installer from
goodbye
> microsoft does not work, Because my network card requires Firmware.
> Nothing seems to work for me. So Im going to try and dl a cd or 2 to
>
> get it working, And install from XP if this is possible please let me
> know. Maybe freeware version of VMware? But I think I remember this
was
> possible without vmware? As long as you had the data on xp. I have
no
> cd's or dvd's or usb keys. Im in the hospital with a broken leg and
got
> another month or 2 here. I got other complications too. So Im
looking for
> a way to install debian the old fashion way. But I can't remember
how.
> Any Advice or any thing would be greatly appreciated.
>

> I need an OS that challenges me. I'm bored, Extremely bored and sick
of
> xp or wintendo! hehe
>
> desperately yours Tommy.
I tried to load wheezy on my laptop, but the Debian installer
asked for firmware from removable devices and gave floppies or a
USB stick as alternatives.

Well, I popped downstairs and asked my local computer consultant
whether he could sell me a USB stick. He had a small one (yes,
he said it was small) with only 4GB (which to me is vast) for
only £15. I bought it, inserted it into my desktop which had
Ubuntu on a second disk drive, mounted the drive, went to
/lib/firmware and copied the firmware I wanted to the USB
stick. I then removed the stick and stuck it into one of the
USB slots on my laptop. Installed the wheezy DVD-R into the
portable USB DVD-ROM drive, rebooted from the DVD-ROM drive
and the Debian installer installed wheezy onto my laptop
with no problems. It did not even ask for the required
firmware---it must have detected it on the USB stick!

Try wheezy and maybe your problem will disappear.

Regards
--
Sian

Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Brian

On Thu 03 Nov 2011 at 17:29:57 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

> Well, I popped downstairs and asked my local computer consultant
> whether he could sell me a USB stick. He had a small one (yes,
> he said it was small) with only 4GB (which to me is vast) for
> only £15. I bought it, inserted it into my desktop which had

15 GBP!!! You were done. But it's worth the price for getting Debian
installed.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Walter Hurry

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:29:57 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

> USB stick. He had a small one (yes, he said it was
> small) with only 4GB (which to me is vast) for only £15

LOL. A fiver at most.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:02 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

rose perry, 2.11.2011:
> Hello I'm trying to install debian but the debian installer from goodbye microsoft does not work, Because
> my network card requires Firmware.* Nothing seems to work for me.* So Im going to try and dl a cd or 2 to
>
> get it working, And install from XP if this is possible please let me know.* Maybe freeware version of VMware?
> But I think I remember this was possible without vmware?* As long as you had the data on xp.
> I have no cd's or dvd's or usb keys.* Im in the hospital with a broken leg and got another month or 2 here.
> I got other complications too.* So Im looking for a way to install debian the old fashion way.* But
> I can't remember how.* Any Advice or any thing would be greatly appreciated.*

I installed straight from MS Windows for somebody once. It involved
downloading some files to the hard drive (in MS Windows), putting them
in a certain place, and then running an exe file. Can't remember the
exact details since it's been quite a while but AFAICR I just followed
instructions in the Debian installation manual.

Looking around, I see that
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.html.en#boot-win32
has instructions. It sounds like you need to download
an installation image (iso file), which will contain the necessary files
(setup.exe and others). I'm not sure how straightforward it is to get
those files from the iso without writing it to a cd or usb stick, but
somebody else might have suggestions on that.

About the firmware, if you can obtain the necessary files, maybe you can
try copying it to the same place on the the hard drive that you copy
the Debian installation stuff to.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing this with/without vmware.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

(putting your reply back on the list)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Old 11-04-2011, 01:36 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Selim T. Erdogan, 4.11.2011:
> (putting your reply back on the list)
>
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:42:47AM -0700, rose perry wrote:
> > oh vmware used to load the os.

If you mean using vmware somehow to load debian directly onto the hw,
that I don't know about. If you mean installing a virtual machine
like vmware onto windows xp, and then installing debian within this
vm, that's possible. A couple of months ago I installed VirtualBox
(virtualbox.org) on Windows and installed Debian squeeze into it.
(This was MS Windows 7, I think, but it shouldn't be a problem with XP.)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Selim T. Erdogan, 4.11.2011:
> (putting your reply back on the list)
>
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 07:00:48AM -0700, rose perry wrote:
> > I cant run the install.bat from xp.* It dispalys not enough
> > memory.* And its ment fpr 95 and other systems before
> > xp.*

As I said, I don't remember the details because it was long ago, but
I'm pretty sure I did it from XP. Where did you get the install.bat
file from? I thought there was supposed to be a setup.exe file...
(On the web I see reports of people doing it on XP.)