Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Sian Mountbatten

Default Can I insall from xp partition?

Brian wrote:

> On Thu 03 Nov 2011 at 17:29:57 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
>
>> Well, I popped downstairs and asked my local computer consultant
>> whether he could sell me a USB stick. He had a small one (yes,
>> he said it was small) with only 4GB (which to me is vast) for
>> only 15. I bought it, inserted it into my desktop which had
>
> 15 GBP!!! You were done. But it's worth the price for getting Debian
> installed.

I must admit that the fact that I was done does rankle somewhat.
It simply means that I shall never buy anything from him again.

However, I now Debian wheezy working on my laptop. No more Ubuntu.

Give me a Debian system any time.
--
Sian

Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

(putting this back on the list)

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:46:18PM -0700, rose perry wrote:
> OkI used the ubuntu windows installer and rebooted to ubuntu,* But it's
> painfully slow.* But they got wireless working.* No need for firmware.*

The slowness could be due to low memory, which you mentioned in an earlier
message. How much memory do you have? If you're using Gnome with little
memory (say, 256MB) you'll be better off using a lighter desktop. (Like
lxde.)

> Now how do I get debian on here?

I haven't tried installing Debian from an existing GNU/Linux installation
but there are instructions at

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.html.en#boot-initrd

Don't know where you should put the firmware files but somebody else
might.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

(putting reply back on the list)

Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Old 11-05-2011, 03:22 PM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Selim T. Erdogan, 5.11.2011:
> (putting reply back on the list)
>
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 08:45:18AM -0700, rose perry wrote:
> > Is there a way to install from a xp partition with out haveing to use
> >
> > a cd?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/11/msg00133.html had a link
to instructions for installing from xp. I don't know any other way.
(Those instructions talk about an iso file that you download onto your
xp partition, but you don't have to make a cd.)