Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 AM
yudi v

Default using kernel 3.0.1+

I will be getting a new desktop with intel i5 2500k CPU, it's got an integrated GPU, I would like to install debian but read that the i5 GPU works without any issues only with the latest kernel.

Now I always use the stable version of Debian. I have never used sid. I would like to know how to install Debian stable with the latest kernel.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Alex Mestiashvili

On 11/01/2011 09:44 AM, yudi v wrote:
> I will be getting a new desktop with intel i5 2500k CPU, it's got an
> integrated GPU, I would like to install debian but read that the i5
> GPU works without any issues only with the latest kernel.
>
> Now I always use the stable version of Debian. I have never used sid.
> I would like to know how to install Debian stable with the latest kernel.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Yudi

Hello ,

You still can use debian stable and kernels from
http://backports-master.debian.org/

Or you can try testing , which has already 3.0.1+ kernel , but system is
more stable than sid .

Alex

Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:44:41 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> I will be getting a new desktop with intel i5 2500k CPU, it's got an
> integrated GPU, I would like to install debian but read that the i5 GPU
> works without any issues only with the latest kernel.

I would first try with the stock kernel and see how it goes.

> Now I always use the stable version of Debian. I have never used sid. I
> would like to know how to install Debian stable with the latest kernel.

If you are running the stable branch, you can use a backported kernel or
you can compile a new kernel by your own.

Both things are very easy to achive in Debian but the backported kernel
option won't fit your requirements as now is 2.6.39 so you will have to
compile :-)

I followed these instructions and worked like a charm though I had to do
some "minors" adjustments:

8.6. Compiling a New Kernel
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
deloptes

yudi v wrote:

> I will be getting a new desktop with intel i5 2500k CPU, it's got an
> integrated GPU, I would like to install debian but read that the i5 GPU
> works without any issues only with the latest kernel.
>
> Now I always use the stable version of Debian. I have never used sid. I
> would like to know how to install Debian stable with the latest kernel.

compiling 3.0.1 is not a big issue though. I'm running stable and testing
with 3.0.1 since it came out, without any issues.

regards

Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Sven Hoexter

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 06:44:41PM +1000, yudi v wrote:
> I will be getting a new desktop with intel i5 2500k CPU, it's got an
> integrated GPU, I would like to install debian but read that the i5 GPU
> works without any issues only with the latest kernel.

I've a system with a i5 2520m (Intel Sandybridge) and written down a few
notes about it in the Debian wiki.
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/LatitudeE6420/squeeze

In short, as other people all ready wrote, you'll have to use at least
the kernel from backports (2.6.39 currently) but I guess you'll also
need the X.org backport (thanks to KiBi for providing it).

The most annoying part is the requirement of a new kernel+non-free to get
at least ethernet working. After that it's a lot easier to get the rest
going.

HTH
Sven

Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Chen Wei

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 04:41:22PM +0100, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> I've a system with a i5 2520m (Intel Sandybridge) and written down a few
> notes about it in the Debian wiki.
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/LatitudeE6420/squeeze
>
> In short, as other people all ready wrote, you'll have to use at least
> the kernel from backports (2.6.39 currently) but I guess you'll also
> need the X.org backport (thanks to KiBi for providing it).
>
> The most annoying part is the requirement of a new kernel+non-free to get
> at least ethernet working. After that it's a lot easier to get the rest
> going.

agree.
Squeeze doesn't support Atheros AR8151 NIC on my new system too, I have
to install testing. Besides the 3.x kernel, other utils, lm-sensor for
example, support for i5 cpu better in testing.

--
Chen Wei