FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Alan Chandler
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3. I have
KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.


I've tried the "Menu Editor" sitting in System Tools, but it doesn't
seem to all you to do anything other than add menu entries to which ever
section it decides.




--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4EAF889D.6070107@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4EAF889D.6070107@chandlerfamily.org.uk
 
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 05:50:21 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

> Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3. I have
> KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.

GNOME3 or gnome-shell?

If it's GNOME3 you can use the usual tool (right-click on the menu and
select "menu editor" to remove items). If you mean "gnome-shell" menu
that's another beast.

> I've tried the "Menu Editor" sitting in System Tools, but it doesn't
> seem to all you to do anything other than add menu entries to which ever
> section it decides.

Ah, the old menu... then it should be easy but tricky :-)

I would try with these steps:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_Tips#Menu_Editing

Given the tutorial is for Archlinux, some of the paths may vary.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.11.01.10.37.23@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.11.01.10.37.23@gmail.com
 
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Alan Chandler
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

On 01/11/11 10:37, Camaleón wrote:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 05:50:21 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:


Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3. I have
KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.


GNOME3 or gnome-shell?


I don't really know which is which. This is the NEW GNOME3 desktop,
with the Full Application Menu covering almost the whole screen. You
can filter into the old menu sections from a bar on the right


I presume that means it is the gnome-shell - its what I got when my
Gnome got updated.


In general I am liking the new shell, in particular the fact that my
second screen workspace remains in place when I switch workspaces on my
primary screen - I just wish it wouldn't shrink those windows as well
when I go to the top left hand corner


The OLD menu editor appears to show things as laid but refuses to work
other than to allow you to add items (and it chooses where to put them)






--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4EB1AF09.7060802@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4EB1AF09.7060802@chandlerfamily.org.uk
 
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Richard
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:58:49 +0000
Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> On 01/11/11 10:37, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 05:50:21 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3. I have
> >> KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.
> >
> > GNOME3 or gnome-shell?
>
> I don't really know which is which. This is the NEW GNOME3 desktop,
> with the Full Application Menu covering almost the whole screen. You
> can filter into the old menu sections from a bar on the right
>
> I presume that means it is the gnome-shell - its what I got when my
> Gnome got updated.
>
> In general I am liking the new shell, in particular the fact that my
> second screen workspace remains in place when I switch workspaces on my
> primary screen - I just wish it wouldn't shrink those windows as well
> when I go to the top left hand corner
>
> The OLD menu editor appears to show things as laid but refuses to work
> other than to allow you to add items (and it chooses where to put them)
>
>
>
>
>

The same question is being asked on other distros with gnome3 and editing the menus.
Alacarte with add but not remove menu items, or move them between categories, when you try
you end up duplicating them.

--
Best wishes / 73
Richard Bown

e-mail: richard@g8jvm.com or richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk

nil carborundum a illegitemis
################################################## ################################
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Debian Wheezy amd64 on a Dual core AMD Athlon 5200, 4 GB RAM
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs mins )
QRV HF + VHF Microwave 23 cms:140W,13 cms:100W,6 cms:10W & 3 cms:5W
################################################## ################################


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111102222824.30f482c9@debian">http://lists.debian.org/20111102222824.30f482c9@debian
 
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:58:49 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 01/11/11 10:37, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 05:50:21 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3. I have
>>> KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.
>>
>> GNOME3 or gnome-shell?
>
> I don't really know which is which.

Gnome3 is used still in wheezy but it uses the old gnome-panel and gnome
menus while gnome-shell is the new GUI of Gnome3 (available on Sid). Both
(gnome-apenl and gnome-shell) provide different paradigms to manage the
desktop.

> This is the NEW GNOME3 desktop, with the Full Application Menu covering
> almost the whole screen. You can filter into the old menu sections
> from a bar on the right
>
> I presume that means it is the gnome-shell - its what I got when my
> Gnome got updated.

Only sid has now gnome-shell so if you are in sid yes, you are talking
about gnome-shell. If you are in wheezy, you have the old GNOME menu.

(...)

> The OLD menu editor appears to show things as laid but refuses to work
> other than to allow you to add items (and it chooses where to put them)

Try with the suggested step. Look at "/usr/share/applications" and edit
the corresponding "kdiff3.desktop" file to fit your needs. I mean, it
should be something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Kdiff3
Icon=preferences-system
Exec=kdiff
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Settings; <<-- watch this!
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;

Notice the "Categories" line, here is where you can change it from the
current "Others" location to whatever place you want it to appears.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.11.03.15.11.27@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.11.03.15.11.27@gmail.com
 
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

El 2011-11-05 a las 14:54 +0000, Alan Chandler escribió:

(sending back to the list)

> On 03/11/11 15:11, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:58:49 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/11/11 10:37, Camaleón wrote:
>>>> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 05:50:21 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Anyone any idea how to edit the applications menu in Gnome3. I have
>>>>> KDiff3 in the "Other" menu and I can't figure out how to move it.
>
>> Try with the suggested step. Look at "/usr/share/applications" and edit
>> the corresponding "kdiff3.desktop" file to fit your needs. I mean, it
>> should be something like:
>>
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Name=Kdiff3
>> Icon=preferences-system
>> Exec=kdiff
>> Terminal=false
>> Type=Application
>> StartupNotify=true
>> Categories=GNOME;GTK;Settings;<<-- watch this!
>> OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
>>
> Can't find a kdiff3.desktop file anywhere. As its actually the
> kdiff3-qt package that is installed I tried combinations of letters
> round this - nothing

Make a full search for all of your ".desktop" files, for instance (as
root):

find / -name *.desktop | grep diff

Mmm, wait... true, package "kdiff3-qt" does not provide a ".desktop" file,
and this can be something worth to report. Anyway, if the file is not
present, you can create that file by your own or download the one for
package kdiff3 and place it there :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111105154413.GA6157@stt008.linux.site">http://lists.debian.org/20111105154413.GA6157@stt008.linux.site
 
Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Alan Chandler
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

On 05/11/11 15:44, Camaleón wrote:

El 2011-11-05 a las 14:54 +0000, Alan Chandler escribió:

(sending back to the list)


Apologies - finger trouble

Make a full search for all of your ".desktop" files, for instance (as
root):


I found them

~/.local/share/applications

there was an original kdiff3.desktop (from when it was installed before)
and two new files called alacarte-made-...


Given that, I suppose it was alacarte that I was using to try and edit
the menus


--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4EB56194.6060408@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4EB56194.6060408@chandlerfamily.org.uk
 
Old 11-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Menu editing on Gnome 3

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:17:24 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 05/11/11 15:44, Camaleón wrote:

>> Make a full search for all of your ".desktop" files, for instance (as
>> root):
>
> I found them
>
> ~/.local/share/applications
>
> there was an original kdiff3.desktop (from when it was installed before)
> and two new files called alacarte-made-...
>
> Given that, I suppose it was alacarte that I was using to try and edit
> the menus

Then try to edit that file and accomodate the "Categories" to your
liking.

Anyway, I still think the package you've mentioned ("kdiff3-qt") should
provide the corresponding ".desktop" file under "/usr/share/
applications/" in the same way "kdiff3" package does :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.11.05.16.30.36@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.11.05.16.30.36@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org