Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 PM
"poenikatu@operamail.com"

Default xboing has no sound on squeeze

I have just downloaded xboing and installed it onto Debian squeeze. It
runs, but there is no
sound! The joy of using xboing comes partly from the delicious sounds
which the game
emits. So what has happened to the sound? I checked the sound device
and it works.
This is a serious matter! xboing without sound is not on.

What's happened to xboing?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:30:27 -0700, poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:

> I have just downloaded xboing and installed it onto Debian squeeze. It
> runs, but there is no
> sound! The joy of using xboing comes partly from the delicious sounds
> which the game
> emits. So what has happened to the sound? I checked the sound device and
> it works.
> This is a serious matter! xboing without sound is not on.
>
> What's happened to xboing?

It seems the package is considered to be removed from Debian because it
has not been updated upstream since long time:

As per the sound issue, there is another bug that can be related to that:

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Sian Mountbatten

Camaleón wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:30:27 -0700, poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:

<snip>
>> What's happened to xboing?
>
> It seems the package is considered to be removed from Debian because
it
> has not been updated upstream since long time:

> As per the sound issue, there is another bug that can be related to
that:

I've tried running xboing on wheezy. Still no sound. So I've
purged it from the disk.
--
Sian

Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:57:31 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:30:27 -0700, poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>>> What's happened to xboing?
>>
>> It seems the package is considered to be removed from Debian because it
>> has not been updated upstream since long time:

>> As per the sound issue, there is another bug that can be related to that:

> I've tried running xboing on wheezy. Still no sound. So I've purged it
> from the disk.

If you are interested in the package, you could "ping" xboing developer
and ask for the status of the package. If there is a new version maybe it
could be considered again to be kept in Debian repositories :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Friday 04 November 2011 2:23:38 pm Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:57:31 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> > Camaleón wrote:
> >> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:30:27 -0700, poenikatu@operamail.com wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> It seems the package is considered to be removed from Debian because it
> >> has not been updated upstream since long time:
> >>
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=538731
> >>
> >> As per the sound issue, there is another bug that can be related to
> >> that:
> >>
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=636811
> >
> > I've tried running xboing on wheezy. Still no sound. So I've purged it
> > from the disk.
>
> If you are interested in the package, you could "ping" xboing developer
> and ask for the status of the package. If there is a new version maybe it
> could be considered again to be kept in Debian repositories :-?
>
> Greetings,
Geez....you guys really took me back.
I used to play xboing years ago. I'm now running Mepis (a Debian Squeeze
spinoff). I just installed xboing and xboing has full sound, just like the
good old days. :-) version is 2.4-31 if that helps.

Mark

Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 16:32:00 -0500, Mark Neidorff wrote:

> On Friday 04 November 2011 2:23:38 pm Camaleón wrote:
>> > <snip>

>> > I've tried running xboing on wheezy. Still no sound. So I've purged
>> > it from the disk.
>>
>> If you are interested in the package, you could "ping" xboing developer
>> and ask for the status of the package. If there is a new version maybe
>> it could be considered again to be kept in Debian repositories :-?
>>
> Geez....you guys really took me back. I used to play xboing years ago.
> I'm now running Mepis (a Debian Squeeze spinoff). I just installed
> xboing and xboing has full sound, just like the good old days. :-)
> version is 2.4-31 if that helps.

Who knows... maybe it works with a set of soundcards/chipsets/sound
drivers but fails with others or perhaps Mepis packagers have applied a
patch to solve this :-?

It seems that xboing in wheezy (and lenny and squeeze...) is also 2.4-31,
it seems the package has not been updated since long time. Anyway, isn't
this game like Arkanoid? This can be nowadays played online, neither your
bandwith nor VGA card will even notice the load ;-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón