FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Walter Hurry
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:23:45 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> I would like to know if there is a way to get automatically subscribed¹
>> to Debian bugs I report.
>
> Auto-subscribing to Debian bugs I file
> http://madduck.net/blog/2008.06.20:auto-subscribing-to-debian-bugs-I-
file/

404


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: j8hgiq$5e7$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j8hgiq$5e7$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Tom H
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Walter Hurry <walterhurry@lavabit.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:23:45 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>>
>> Auto-subscribing to Debian bugs I file
>> http://madduck.net/blog/2008.06.20:auto-subscribing-to-debian-bugs-I-file/
>
> 404

http://madduck.net/blog/2008.06.20:auto-subscribing-to-debian-bugs-i-file/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=SyOH8Qx5bKraMM-R2o4eGZSbU8CwL9Xkmwx=YA54Y6otg@mail.gmail.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=SyOH8Qx5bKraMM-R2o4eGZSbU8CwL9Xkmwx=YA54Y6otg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

Tom H wrote:
> Walter Hurry wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> >> Auto-subscribing to Debian bugs I file
> >> [redacted the munged URL]
> >
> > 404
>
> http://madduck.net/blog/2008.06.20:auto-subscribing-to-debian-bugs-i-file/

Thanks Tom for the correction. My cut-n-paste ran into my editor
macro for "i"->"I". Walter, Sorry for not catching it before posting.

Bob
 
Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Walter Hurry
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:13:01 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Tom H wrote:
>> Walter Hurry wrote:
>> > Bob Proulx wrote:
>> >> Auto-subscribing to Debian bugs I file [redacted the munged URL]
>> >
>> > 404
>>
>> http://madduck.net/blog/2008.06.20:auto-subscribing-to-debian-bugs-i-
file/
>
> Thanks Tom for the correction. My cut-n-paste ran into my editor macro
> for "i"->"I". Walter, Sorry for not catching it before posting.

Thanks, Bob; no problem. I do think it is laughable that this is
necessary, though.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: j8hjsj$og4$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j8hjsj$og4$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:22:50 -0400 (EDT), Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-10-29 19:00 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I could be wrong, but I believe that you are automatically "subscribed"
>> to bugs that you report yourself.
>
> You are indeed wrong. How did you get that idea?

Based on past behavior of the bug tracking system. I always seemed
to get updates. But maybe it's because the poster CC'd me. I agree
with Walter Hurry, though. This should be the default behavior,
or at least an option when submitting a bug report. It shouldn't be a
manual process. Now I need to find all my own open bug reports and
subscribe to them. Bummer.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1448291256.415212.1319917522577.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1448291256.415212.1319917522577.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Tom H
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:22:50 -0400 (EDT), Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2011-10-29 19:00 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> I could be wrong, but I believe that you are automatically "subscribed"
>>> to bugs that you report yourself.
>>
>> You are indeed wrong. *How did you get that idea?
>
> Based on past behavior of the bug tracking system. I always seemed
> to get updates. But maybe it's because the poster CC'd me. I agree
> with Walter Hurry, though.*This should be the default behavior,
> or at least an option when submitting a bug report. It shouldn't be a
> manual process. Now I need to find all my own open bug reports and
> subscribe to them. Bummer.

I've read in the past a debian-devel thread (I think) about this and
there were developers who were opposed to auto-subscription for bug
reporters because they didn't want them to be "spammed" by every
reply. And, illogically, their response to this problem is that the
bug reported should be cc'd. I don't see why anyone would report a bug
and not want to receive follow-ups but if that's the way that the
BTS's developers want their software to behave, that's the way it's
going to be. You see that across open source - and I'm sure that you'd
see it across closed source if you had access to requests and how
they're dealt with.

The madduck script automates subscribing to the bugs that you've filed
for you. There's no need to do this manually.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=Sw-f9M0mDwTb51yfV-BV2vv4rgFW_8U+ri7JSWYnwQzRA@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=Sw-f9M0mDwTb51yfV-BV2vv4rgFW_8U+ri7JSWYnwQzRA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:35:29 -0400, Tom H wrote:

(...)

> The madduck script automates subscribing to the bugs that you've filed
> for you. There's no need to do this manually.

If I have correctly read the script, it can be fine for users using
procmail, is that right?

If yes, I'm not such user, I use Mutt and my Gmail IMAP account and from
time to time, I use reportbug and even another computers which do not run
Debian... so I'm afraid the workaround won't be of any help in my case :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.10.30.10.19.15@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.10.30.10.19.15@gmail.com
 
Old 10-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Tom H
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:35:29 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> The madduck script automates subscribing to the bugs that you've filed
>> for you. There's no need to do this manually.
>
> If I have correctly read the script, it can be fine for users using
> procmail, is that right?
>
> If yes, I'm not such user, I use Mutt and my Gmail IMAP account and from
> time to time, I use reportbug and even another computers which do not run
> Debian... so I'm afraid the workaround won't be of any help in my case :-(

I haven't kept the script but I remember a loop with a "sendmail -f
...". You can substitute whatever command is equivalent on your box.

This script and the BTS aren;t tied in to the box from which you
report a script. As long as you have a Debian or Ubuntu or other
Debian derivative box with devscripts installed, you should be able to
auto-subscribe with this script to all the bugs that you've reported.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=Sx=VNgvD2ww_=RXfGEhVO4fXPjJc=ScOdXckzbb9vd-hQ@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=Sx=VNgvD2ww_=RXfGEhVO4fXPjJc=ScOdXckzbb9vd-hQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:53:47 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:35:29 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> The madduck script automates subscribing to the bugs that you've filed
>>> for you. There's no need to do this manually.
>>
>> If I have correctly read the script, it can be fine for users using
>> procmail, is that right?
>>
>> If yes, I'm not such user, I use Mutt and my Gmail IMAP account and
>> from time to time, I use reportbug and even another computers which do
>> not run Debian... so I'm afraid the workaround won't be of any help in
>> my case :-(
>
> I haven't kept the script but I remember a loop with a "sendmail -f
> ...". You can substitute whatever command is equivalent on your box.

Yep, I suppose that command could be replaced by invoking "mutt", instead.

> This script and the BTS aren;t tied in to the box from which you report
> a script. As long as you have a Debian or Ubuntu or other Debian
> derivative box with devscripts installed, you should be able to
> auto-subscribe with this script to all the bugs that you've reported.

As I read it, the script is basically a loop that retrieves the bug
number for all the bugs that have been sent by the reporter and sends
subcription e-mails to the BTS robot... but you still have to manually
reply to the incoming confirmation e-mails, right? And this is when the
Procmail recipe comes into play, I guess, to close the cycle.

It can be useful for mass-susbcriptions and mass-confirmation (when used
alongside Procmail or a similar filter to do the job) but is still too
much work -IMO- for bug reporters that are not using such mailing schema.

I'll wait for better days to come...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.10.30.18.28.57@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.10.30.18.28.57@gmail.com
 
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM
martin f krafft
 
Default Automatic subscription to self-opened bug reports

also sprach Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [2011.10.30.1928 +0100]:
> > This script and the BTS aren;t tied in to the box from which you report
> > a script. As long as you have a Debian or Ubuntu or other Debian
> > derivative box with devscripts installed, you should be able to
> > auto-subscribe with this script to all the bugs that you've reported.
>
> As I read it, the script is basically a loop that retrieves the bug
> number for all the bugs that have been sent by the reporter and sends
> subcription e-mails to the BTS robot... but you still have to manually
> reply to the incoming confirmation e-mails, right? And this is when the
> Procmail recipe comes into play, I guess, to close the cycle.

Sounds about right:

http://madduck.net/blog/2008.06.20:auto-subscribing-to-debian-bugs-i-file/

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

"the question of whether computers can think
is like the question of whether submarines can swim."
-- edsgar w. dijkstra
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org