FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

Sorry to ask the question in such an off the wall manner.

Recommendation for National Public Radio player

But in briefly googling for this topic I started to see that not all
players can get all streams.

I wanted to make sure any suggestions where software that can actually
be made to connect to NPR.

I don't necessarily mean something in debian repos. Just what ever
your own experience can vouch for as a player capable of gettting
internet NPR.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 8739efjuh6.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/8739efjuh6.fsf@newsguy.com
 
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Greg Madden
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

On Wednesday 26 October 2011 13:47:33 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Sorry to ask the question in such an off the wall manner.
>
> Recommendation for National Public Radio player
>
> But in briefly googling for this topic I started to see that not all
> players can get all streams.
>
> I wanted to make sure any suggestions where software that can actually
> be made to connect to NPR.
>
> I don't necessarily mean something in debian repos. Just what ever
> your own experience can vouch for as a player capable of gettting
> internet NPR.

Looks like there are three streaming options from NPR,
1. NPR media player , needs flash, use a browser
2. MP3 stream, lots of player apps there.
3. Windows Media Player ?

I listen to NPR using Iceweasel & flash in stable.


--
Peace,

Greg


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201110261414.23857.gomadtroll@gci.net">http://lists.debian.org/201110261414.23857.gomadtroll@gci.net
 
Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Walter Hurry
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:47:33 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Recommendation for National Public Radio player

National? What nation? Don't bother to answer; I can guess, since you did
not mention one.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: j8a26f$asr$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j8a26f$asr$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 PM
John Hasler
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

Walter Hurry writes:
> National? What nation? Don't bother to answer; I can guess, since you
> did not mention one.

How many nations have an institution named National Public Radio? (note
the caps: it's a name, not a description.)
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 871utz5ore.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org">http://lists.debian.org/871utz5ore.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org
 
Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Celejar
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:47:33 -0500
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Sorry to ask the question in such an off the wall manner.
>
> Recommendation for National Public Radio player
>
> But in briefly googling for this topic I started to see that not all
> players can get all streams.
>
> I wanted to make sure any suggestions where software that can actually
> be made to connect to NPR.
>
> I don't necessarily mean something in debian repos. Just what ever
> your own experience can vouch for as a player capable of gettting
> internet NPR.

Iceweasel with Adobe Flash plugin works fine here.

Celejar
--
foffl.sourceforge.net - Feeds OFFLine, an offline RSS/Atom aggregator
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111026191823.4adf17a02b02bad2bd624bbf@gmail.com" >http://lists.debian.org/20111026191823.4adf17a02b02bad2bd624bbf@gmail.com
 
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Recommendation for National Public Radio player
> ...
> I wanted to make sure any suggestions where software that can actually
> be made to connect to NPR.

The web page? Or something specifically different from their web page?

> I don't necessarily mean something in debian repos. Just what ever
> your own experience can vouch for as a player capable of gettting
> internet NPR.

I will start off by listing what does NOT work with it. It is all
about the Flash content.

I am using Iceweasel (Firefox) 7.0 in Sid with the gnash (GNU flash)
plugin on a 64-bit amd64 desktop. None of the Flash content will play
using the latest gnash. This includes the online streaming audio feed
and all of their Listen links which all use the flash player plugin.
Their audio is available for download as mp3 format and that plays
fine.

Using Stable Squeeze with Iceweasel (Firefox) 7.0 packaged for Debian
from http://mozilla.debian.net/ and the 32-bit nonfree Adobe Flash
plugin works fine and plays the audio and videos without problem.
Everything appears perfectly and I have no problems of any kind.

I mostly listen to NPR by computer not from the www.npr.org site but
by streaming from one of a couple of local radio stations using
mplayer. I do this because when I am not at the computer I can hear
those stations directly by broadcast radio. In any case they make the
content available more easily than the upstream site. You might
investigate your local public radio stations and see if you can access
their site for streaming more easily too.

Bob
 
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

John Hasler wrote:

Walter Hurry writes:

National? What nation? Don't bother to answer; I can guess, since you
did not mention one.


How many nations have an institution named National Public Radio? (note
the caps: it's a name, not a description.)


Well said...

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: j8bu69$bkc$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j8bu69$bkc$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> writes:

> John Hasler wrote:
>> Walter Hurry writes:
>>> National? What nation? Don't bother to answer; I can guess, since you
>>> did not mention one.
>>
>> How many nations have an institution named National Public Radio? (note
>> the caps: it's a name, not a description.)
>
> Well said...

If all have had a jab at my stupid blunder of not specifying npr in USA.

If you all have about exhausted the faults in my post, can anyone
advise me what players are capable of connecting to npr USA and in
particular the Chicago area, USA affiliate `wbez'?

Or maybe there is more fun to be had thrashing this attempt some more?
There is, no doubt, something stupid in this one too.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87ipna6wyo.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/87ipna6wyo.fsf@newsguy.com
 
Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> writes:

[...]

> Looks like there are three streaming options from NPR,
> 1. NPR media player , needs flash, use a browser
> 2. MP3 stream, lots of player apps there.
> 3. Windows Media Player ?
>
> I listen to NPR using Iceweasel & flash in stable.

[...]

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:


[...]

> Iceweasel with Adobe Flash plugin works fine here.
>
> Celejar

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:


[...]

> I will start off by listing what does NOT work with it. It is all
> about the Flash content.
>
> I am using Iceweasel (Firefox) 7.0 in Sid with the gnash (GNU flash)
> plugin on a 64-bit amd64 desktop. None of the Flash content will play
> using the latest gnash. This includes the online streaming audio feed
> and all of their Listen links which all use the flash player plugin.
> Their audio is available for download as mp3 format and that plays
> fine.
>
> Using Stable Squeeze with Iceweasel (Firefox) 7.0 packaged for Debian
> from http://mozilla.debian.net/ and the 32-bit nonfree Adobe Flash
> plugin works fine and plays the audio and videos without problem.
> Everything appears perfectly and I have no problems of any kind.
>

Thank you all. So there is some link you guys just hit with iceweasel
and you start hearing npr public broadcast?

Is there some reason this would not work the same in firefox?

Also is there a guide somewhere how to get that non-free Adobe flash
player installed. I don't recall the details now but I seem to
remember having it fail a time or too in firefox.

Going to try it again right now...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87ehxy6wjc.fsf@newsguy.com">http://lists.debian.org/87ehxy6wjc.fsf@newsguy.com
 
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
John Hasler
 
Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

Harry Putnam writes:
> ...can anyone advise me what players are capable of connecting to npr
> USA and in particular the Chicago area, USA affiliate `wbez'?

The stations are independent organizations that purchase programming
from (and sell it to) NPR. They are not under central management. What
works with one won't necessarily work with another. I can listen to
WGBH and MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) with vlc but it looks like WBEZ
wants you to use their widget (which works for me on Iceweasel).
Possibly you could dig out the URL for the stream and feed it to vlc but
they don't make it easy (and they have nothing I want so I'm not going
to try).
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87sjme41sr.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org">http://lists.debian.org/87sjme41sr.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org