Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Celejar

Default Recommendation for National Public Radio player

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:53:43 -0500
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
> > Iceweasel with Adobe Flash plugin works fine here.
> >
> > Celejar

> Thank you all. So there is some link you guys just hit with iceweasel
> and you start hearing npr public broadcast?

Can you explain what doesn't work for you? Here, I can go to npr.org,
click the 'listen' tab, click on the (e.g.) 'Morning Edition' link, a
new window opens, click on the Flash icon (I'm using NoScript /
Flashblock), then click the 'play' icon on the player that appears, and
it starts.

> Is there some reason this would not work the same in firefox?

Hard to imagine.

Celejar

Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Brian

On Thu 27 Oct 2011 at 14:44:31 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> If you all have about exhausted the faults in my post, can anyone
> advise me what players are capable of connecting to npr USA and in
> particular the Chicago area, USA affiliate `wbez'?

http://www.wbez.org/ --> Listen Live --> iTunes Link in the pop-up window

vlc <link>

Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 28/10/11 07:28, John Hasler wrote:
> Harry Putnam writes:
>> ...can anyone advise me what players are capable of connecting to npr
>> USA and in particular the Chicago area, USA affiliate `wbez'?
>
> The stations are independent organizations that purchase programming
> from (and sell it to) NPR. They are not under central management. What
> works with one won't necessarily work with another. I can listen to
> WGBH and MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) with vlc but it looks like WBEZ
> wants you to use their widget (which works for me on Iceweasel).
> Possibly you could dig out the URL for the stream and feed it to vlc

[*1] http://sc5.ord.llnw.net/stream/wbez_91_5_fm

Works with VLC, Amarok, Kaffeine, and Dragon Player. I'd be surprised if
Miro couldn't play it either.

<snipped>

Curiously they run Apache on a CentOS server and use Drupal to manage
their site...

[*1] http://www.wbez.org/player#live

Cheers

Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Harry Putnam

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:53:43 -0500
> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

>> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> [...]
>>
>> > Iceweasel with Adobe Flash plugin works fine here.
>> >
>> > Celejar
>
>> Thank you all. So there is some link you guys just hit with iceweasel
>> and you start hearing npr public broadcast?
>
> Can you explain what doesn't work for you? Here, I can go to npr.org,
> click the 'listen' tab, click on the (e.g.) 'Morning Edition' link, a
> new window opens, click on the Flash icon (I'm using NoScript /
> Flashblock), then click the 'play' icon on the player that appears, and
> it starts.
>
>> Is there some reason this would not work the same in firefox?
>
> Hard to imagine.

Yes, you are right. I see now, all that was wrong was I wasn't
waiting long enough... I finally say a little sign that said
`buffering' so I know its about to play, and then the numbers start
clicking by.

Apparently I do not have sound working yet... but at first I didn't
see anything at all happening... it took a surprising long time to
start to see things happening.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Bob Proulx

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Apparently I do not have sound working yet... but at first I didn't
> see anything at all happening... it took a surprising long time to
> start to see things happening.

The most common problem people run into is that sound is muted by
default. That is the safe program default. If you haven't used sound
previously then almost certainly you will need to unmute it. Bring up
alsamixer in a terminal or click on your sound gui and ensure that
sound is not muted and set to a reasonable volume. I always test that
I can play something local and known good first.

There are audio files installed by various programs at
/usr/share/sounds/* that you could try playing first as a test of your
sound system.

Bob

Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Harry Putnam

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Apparently I do not have sound working yet... but at first I didn't
>> see anything at all happening... it took a surprising long time to
>> start to see things happening.
>
> The most common problem people run into is that sound is muted by
> default. That is the safe program default. If you haven't used sound
> previously then almost certainly you will need to unmute it. Bring up
> alsamixer in a terminal or click on your sound gui and ensure that
> sound is not muted and set to a reasonable volume. I always test that
> I can play something local and known good first.

Yup, that was the problem... I now remember the `off by default'
setting from yrs ago.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Iceweasel with Adobe Flash plugin works fine here.

Celejar

Thank you all. So there is some link you guys just hit with iceweasel
and you start hearing npr public broadcast?

Can you explain what doesn't work for you? Here, I can go to npr.org,
click the 'listen' tab, click on the (e.g.) 'Morning Edition' link, a
new window opens, click on the Flash icon (I'm using NoScript /
Flashblock), then click the 'play' icon on the player that appears, and
it starts.

After clicking on "Morning Edition" in Squeeze and Iceweasel with Gnash
as flashplayer I get a blank window.

In Squeeze with google-chrome-stable I also get a blank window.
In Squeeze with google-chrome-beta I get a window that is filled in with
data but it is "darkened out" i.e. it is rendered dark and nothing can
be selected.

Any suggestions?

Hugo

Archive: j8h8if$kt6$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j8h8if$kt6$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Bob Proulx

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> After clicking on "Morning Edition" in Squeeze and Iceweasel with
> Gnash as flashplayer I get a blank window.
> In Squeeze with google-chrome-stable I also get a blank window.
> In Squeeze with google-chrome-beta I get a window that is filled in
> with data but it is "darkened out" i.e. it is rendered dark and
> nothing can be selected.

As noted previously in this thread the GNU Flash player 'gnash' does
not (yet) work with the Flash used on the www.npr.org site. That is
the nature of the problem with Flash. FLOSS versions will always be
chasing the closed versions.

> Any suggestions?

1. Participate in the advocacy for free protocols. We should not be
caught in traps like this.

2. Work with the GNU Flash team to improve gnash until it does work in
all cases.

3. Obviously if you are using a platform for which there is the closed
source proprietary version such as a 32-bit x86 platform then you
could install the Adobe Flash player for it. I can't recommend
doing this but it does work with that combination.

Bob

Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Bob Proulx wrote:

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob. Suddenly success with Iceweasel 7.0.1 and Adobe Flash
10.3d162 in Sid arch. amd64.
Upon selecting "Listen" and "24hr news" I get the window that first
shows "Loading..." then text + buttons and "Buffering" then sound starts
without needing to take action. Wow.

Hugo

Archive: j8hhfo$bjq$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j8hhfo$bjq$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Bob Proulx

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >3. Obviously if you are using a platform for which there is the closed
> > source proprietary version such as a 32-bit x86 platform then you
> > could install the Adobe Flash player for it. I can't recommend
> > doing this but it does work with that combination.
>
> Thanks Bob. Suddenly success with Iceweasel 7.0.1 and Adobe Flash
> 10.3d162 in Sid arch. amd64.
> Upon selecting "Listen" and "24hr news" I get the window that first
> shows "Loading..." then text + buttons and "Buffering" then sound
> starts without needing to take action. Wow.

Yeah. Glad to hear that you have it working for you.

Bob