Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Stefan Monnier

Default Disable gnome-power-manager?

Am I the only one who finds the gnome-power-manager to be
fundamentally flawed? A power daemon needs intrinsically to be
system-global and not specific to a particular login session.
This becomes obvious when there are several logins active at the same time
(on different virtual consoles), typically with different users.

Now, recent versions of the gnome-desktop-environment depend on
gnome-power-management, so it makes it inconvenient to deinstall the
gnome-power-management package. Is there a way to keep it installed but to
deactivate it?

Stefan

Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Mathias Brodala

Hi Stefan.

Stefan Monnier, 29.07.2007 15:25:
> Now, recent versions of the gnome-desktop-environment depend on
> gnome-power-management, so it makes it inconvenient to deinstall the
> gnome-power-management package. Is there a way to keep it installed but to
> deactivate it?

I don’t have it installed, but maybe
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/gnome-power-manager.conf is of help. It suggest that
gnome-power-manager is launched through DBUS, so you should be able to disable
it that way.

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules

Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Mathias Brodala

Hi again.

Mathias Brodala, 29.07.2007 15:50:
> Hi Stefan.
>
> Stefan Monnier, 29.07.2007 15:25:
>> Now, recent versions of the gnome-desktop-environment depend on
>> gnome-power-management, so it makes it inconvenient to deinstall the
>> gnome-power-management package. Is there a way to keep it installed but to
>> deactivate it?
>
> I don’t have it installed, but maybe
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/gnome-power-manager.conf is of help.

Apparently, it is not. But README.Debian.gz is:

> GNOME Users: Starting GNOME Power Manager with your GNOME Session
> ================================================== ===============
>
> 1) Add yourself to the powerdev group; this group is created by hal
> >= 0.5.6+cvs20060219-1.
> 2) Open System -> Preferences -> Sessions
> 3) In the Startup Programs tab, click Add
> 4) Type "gnome-power-manager", click OK.
> 5) Log out of your gnome session, and log back in again.

You obviously can do the opposite to disable it.

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules

Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Alan Ianson

On Sun July 29 2007 06:25, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Am I the only one who finds the gnome-power-manager to be
> fundamentally flawed? A power daemon needs intrinsically to be
> system-global and not specific to a particular login session.
> This becomes obvious when there are several logins active at the same time
> (on different virtual consoles), typically with different users.
>
> Now, recent versions of the gnome-desktop-environment depend on
> gnome-power-management, so it makes it inconvenient to deinstall the
> gnome-power-management package. Is there a way to keep it installed but to
> deactivate it?

When I install gnome I don't install gnome-desktop-environment. I enter that
in aptitude and pick the items I want from there. gnome-power-management is
recommended by gnome-screen-saver so when I install that I temporarily
disable aptitude from automatically installing recommended packages.

Maybe the long way around but it gets me where I want to be..