-   -   has network-manager started behaving badly for you too? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/583964-has-network-manager-started-behaving-badly-you-too.html)

Paul Johnson 10-05-2011 04:40 PM

has network-manager started behaving badly for you too?

I've got Debian Wheezy (with a few components from unstable, but not many).

Over the weekend, I noticed an apt update brought in

network-manager 0.9.0-2

and since then my laptop network works badly. There seem to be 2
separate problems

1. Network passwords and configurations saved with the old network
manager have been forgotten. My home network asks me to re-enter the
WEP key every time. The WPA networks I go to require me to re-set
everything.

2. After entering the password information, the time required to
connect is longer, approximately 10 seconds. Before the
network-manager update, my system would usually be connected even
before I finished logging in with gdm.

If I'm the only one who experiences this, it means I've done something
that is unusual to my system and I'll start tracking it down.

On the other hand, if you see it too, then I may need to go file a bug
report with network-manager.

Could I have a show of hands from users of n-m 0.9.0-2?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

"Michael Checca" 10-05-2011 04:47 PM

has network-manager started behaving badly for you too?

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:40:35 -0400, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com>
[...]

I am running sid with network-manager 0.9.0-2. I have experienced your
first problem, all of my passwords/connection info has been saved. I have,
however, noticed a longer connect time also. Which is why I switched to
Wicd :) I've been meaning to take a look at it to see if I could figure
out a solution, but haven't had any time so I just switched to Wicd and
forgot about it. Maybe bring it up to the developers to see if it's a
known issue.

HTH,
--
Michael Checca
echo "complaints" > /dev/null

Archive: op.v2v0wn0g4b8ft1@michael-laptop">http://lists.debian.org/op.v2v0wn0g4b8ft1@michael-laptop

Patrick Wiseman 10-06-2011 02:06 AM

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got Debian Wheezy (with a few components from unstable, but not many).
>
> Over the weekend, I noticed an apt update brought in
>
> network-manager * * * * * * * * * * * *0.9.0-2
>
> and since then my laptop network works badly. *There seem to be 2
> separate problems
>
> 1. Network passwords and configurations saved with the old network
> manager have been forgotten. *My home network asks me to re-enter the
> WEP key every time. *The WPA networks I go to require me to re-set
> everything.
>
> 2. After entering the password information, the time required to
> connect is longer, approximately 10 seconds. *Before the
> network-manager update, my system would usually be connected even
> before I finished logging in with gdm.
>
> If I'm the only one who experiences this, it means I've done something
> that is unusual to my system and I'll start tracking it down.
>
> On the other hand, if you see it too, then I may need to go file a bug
> report with network-manager.
>
> Could I have a show of hands from users of n-m 0.9.0-2?

Just got home to check, and I'm not experiencing either problem on my
up-to-date testing system with n-m 0.9.0-2. Not sure how that helps.

Patrick