Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Harry Putnam

Default What is missing for encfs to work?

How can I see my kernel config. Kernel was selected at install, and
must not have been selected for /proc/Config.gz to be available. At
least there is no such file.

I'd like to know if fuse was selected.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Harry Putnam

> How can I see my kernel config. Kernel was selected at install, and
> must not have been selected for /proc/Config.gz to be available. At
> least there is no such file.
>
> I'd like to know if fuse was selected.

Sorry I let that message get away before I'd written most of it.

,----
| uname -r
| 3.0.0-1-686-pae
`----

I just realized I could answer my first question by looking in
/lib/modules.

,----
| find . -name '*.ko'|grep fuse
|
| ./3.0.0-1-686-pae/kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
| ./3.0.0-1-686-pae/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
`----

And I have fuse pkg and encfs installed.

dpkg --list |grep fuse

ii encfs 1.7.4-2.3 encrypted virtual filesystem
ii fuse 2.8.5-5 Filesystem in Userspace
ii fuse-utils 2.8.5-5 Filesystem in Userspace [...]
ii libfuse2 2.8.5-5 Filesystem in Userspace (library)

lsmod |grep fuse
fuse 56331 1

But where I try to mount an encfs encrypted directory I get this error
message.

encfs ~/.dir_raw ~/.dir

EncFS Password:
fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
fuse failed. Common problems:
- fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
- invalid options -- see usage message

Is /dev/fuse something I am supposed to make by hand or should it be
present already?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi,

Harry Putnam wrote:
EncFS Password:
fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

fuse failed. Common problems:
- fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
- invalid options -- see usage message

Is /dev/fuse something I am supposed to make by hand or should it be
present already?

Is it as simple as adding yourself to the fuse group?

"the user name that is running the [in your case encfs] must be a member
of the fuse group"

Give that a try, ie add yourself to the fuse group.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4E8C78A5.5060008@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4E8C78A5.5060008@affinityvision.com.au

Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Harry Putnam

Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> EncFS Password: fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission
>> denied
>> fuse failed. Common problems:
>> - fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
>> - invalid options -- see usage message
>>
>> Is /dev/fuse something I am supposed to make by hand or should it be
>> present already?
>
> Is it as simple as adding yourself to the fuse group?
>
> "the user name that is running the [in your case encfs] must be a
> member of the fuse group"
>
> Give that a try, ie add yourself to the fuse group.

Never occured to me to check that, but yes... that was all it took.
Thanks.