Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Xn Nooby

Default debian-user@lists.debian.org

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to remotely re-image a
linux machine that is running. I think the process would be something
like:

- create a ramdisk
- copy system files to ram disk
- change filesystem root to ram disk
- turn off the swap partition
- unmount all drives but ram disk
- run netcat (or ssh+dd) to receive new drive image
- reboot machine
- hope it works

I use dd and Clonezilla for local cloning, but I've never remotely
re-imaged a machine. It seems like something that has probably already
been solved.