-   -   Searching "Squeeze" on Google (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/583482-searching-squeeze-google.html)

"Alois Mahdal" 10-04-2011 04:19 PM

Searching "Squeeze" on Google

Hi,

sorry for OT--this is probably more about Google, but I find
this quite puzzling *and* somehow Debian-(popularity)-related :)

Why first Debian-related hit in results after searching "squeeze"
on Google is actually Wheezy? Not Squeeze?

Actually (not counting "images/videos/news for..."), Debian Wheezy
was 4th result, Squeeze was 11th.

I always thought that Google gives better score to pages that are
actually related, i.e. "most people who were looking for 'squeeze'
went there and did not come back".

Any ideas?

Thanks,
aL.

--
Alois Mahdal, using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Archive: op.v2t4zeopntcywf@aloism.cz.avg.com">http://lists.debian.org/op.v2t4zeopntcywf@aloism.cz.avg.com

Camaleón 10-04-2011 04:48 PM

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 18:19:52 +0200, Alois Mahdal wrote:

> sorry for OT--this is probably more about Google, but I find this quite
> puzzling *and* somehow Debian-(popularity)-related :)

I wouldn't worry about this. Google's search results varies *a lot*
depending on your location, stored, cookies, browser, IP address, rainy
or sunny day, etc... ;-)

> Why first Debian-related hit in results after searching "squeeze" on
> Google is actually Wheezy? Not Squeeze?

(...)

My first Debian "hit" directs me to Squeeze (current stable). In fact, I
see nothing about Wheezy (at least within the first 10 results).

I run the query using this URI:

***
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en
***

And this is the excerpt I get (#10):

***
Debian -- Debian “squeeze” Release Information
www.debian.org/releases/stable/
Debian “squeeze” Release Information. Debian 6.0.2 was released June
25th, 2011. Debian 6.0.0 was initially released on February 6th, 2011.
The release ...
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"Alois Mahdal" 10-04-2011 05:28 PM

Searching "Squeeze" on Google

sorry for OT--this is probably more about Google, but I find this quite
puzzling *and* somehow Debian-(popularity)-related :)

I wouldn't worry about this. Google's search results varies *a lot*
depending on your location, stored, cookies, browser, IP address, rainy
or sunny day, etc... ;-)

Thanks, I kinda forgot that---trying to see things simple way all day
long. :-)

Just took a glimpse into HTTP headers and I remembered that there's a whole
(beautiful & scary) world between my browser and Google... ;-)

Why first Debian-related hit in results after searching "squeeze" on
Google is actually Wheezy? Not Squeeze?

(...)

My first Debian "hit" directs me to Squeeze (current stable). In fact, I
see nothing about Wheezy (at least within the first 10 results).

...kind of soothing to know, though... :-D

aL.

Ralf Mardorf 10-04-2011 08:43 PM

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 18:19 +0200, Alois Mahdal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for OT--this is probably more about Google, but I find
> this quite puzzling *and* somehow Debian-(popularity)-related :)
>

> Why first Debian-related hit in results after searching "squeeze"
> on Google is actually Wheezy? Not Squeeze?
>
> Actually (not counting "images/videos/news for..."), Debian Wheezy
> was 4th result, Squeeze was 11th.
>

> I always thought that Google gives better score to pages that are
> actually related, i.e. "most people who were looking for 'squeeze'
> went there and did not come back".
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> aL.

With Iceweasel 6.0.2, no add-ons, I got hits for squeeze first. Since
"squeeze" is an English word, http://www.dict.cc/?s=squeeze , you should
search for: debian squeeze

http://www.google.com/ searching for: debian squeeze

About 15,700,000 results (0.06 seconds)

Everything
Images
Maps
Videos
News
Shopping

More
Search Options

Any time
Past hour
Past 24 hours
Past week
Past month
Past year
Custom range...
All results
Sites with images
Related searches

More search tools
Search Results

Debian -- Debian “squeeze” Release Information
www.debian.org/releases/stable/
Debian “squeeze” Release Information. Debian 6.0.2 was released June
25th, 2011. Debian 6.0.0 was initially released on February 6th, 2011.
The release ...
32-bit PC (i386) - AMD64 Port - Installation manual - Errata

Debian -- Debian “wheezy” Release Information
www.debian.org/releases/testing/
The code name for the next major Debian release after squeeze is
wheezy ...
DebianSqueeze - Debian Wiki
wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze
Squeeze is the development codename for Debian 6.0. It is the
current stable ...
Debian -- News -- Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" released
www.debian.org/News/2011/20110205a
6 Feb 2011 – Debian 6.0 Squeeze introduces technical previews of two
new ...
Show more results from debian.org
Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian
Debian 6.0 (squeeze) was released February 6, 2011 after 24 months
of development. For the first time, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD was introduced
with this version ...
The Perfect Desktop - Debian Squeeze | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos ...
8 posts - Last post: 4 Sep
This tutorial shows how you can set up a Debian Squeeze desktop that
is a full-fledged replacement for a Windows desktop, i.e. that has all
the ...
Virtualization With KVM On A Debian Squeeze Server‎ - 14 Jul 2011
The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) With BIND ...‎ - 9
Jun 2011
The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) [ISPConfig 2 ...‎ -
Installing And Using OpenVZ On Debian Squeeze (AMD64)‎ - 15 Feb 2011

More results from howtoforge.com »
Virtualmin on Debian Squeeze for Drupal HOWTO | edin.no-ip.com
edin.no-ip.com/blog/.../virtualmin-debian-squeeze-drupal-howto
8 Sep 2011 – This HOWTO will guide you though the Virtualmin
installation on top of Debian Squeeze, then demonstrate the virtual
hosting functionality by ...
Vaio tips for Debian Squeeze (Shallow Thoughts)
shallowsky.com/blog/linux/laptop/vaio-squeeze-tips.html
27 Aug 2011 – I switched to the current Debian release, "Squeeze",
quite a few months ago on my Sony Vaio laptop. I've found that Squeeze,
with its older ...
Debian "Squeeze" makes key progress toward being a fully free ...
www.fsf.org/.../debian-squeeze-makes-key-progress-toward-being-a-...
8 Feb 2011 – Cheers to the Debian community! With last Saturday's
"Squeeze" release, Debian took an important step towards being a fully
free distribution ...
Debian Squeeze(s) out a new release - Not just for Linux anymore ...

www.internetnews.com/skerner/.../debian-squeezes-out-a-new-rele.ht...
7 Feb 2011 – Over the weekend, Debian 6 - aka - Squeeze, was
officially release after two ... "Debian 6.0 Squeeze introduces
technical previews of two new ...

Searches related to debian squeeze

debian squeeze packages

debian squeeze iso

debian squeeze kde

debian squeeze xen

eve debian squeeze ia32

debian squeeze nvidia

debian squeeze release date

debian squeeze kernel
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

http://www.google.de/#hl=de&cp=8&gs_id=u&xhr=t&q=debian
+squeeze&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=debian
+s&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_g c.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=36b02268695b2fcc&biw=1152&bih=71 9

www.debian.org/releases/stable/ - Diese Seite übersetzen

www.debian.org/releases/testing/ - Diese Seite übersetzen
The code name for the next major Debian release after squeeze is
wheezy ...
DebianSqueeze - Debian Wiki
wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze - Diese Seite übersetzen
See also. Debian Releases: DebianLenny - The previous distribution.
Debian ...
Debian -- Debian "Squeeze" Release-Informationen
www.debian.org/releases/stable/index.de.html
Debian Squeeze Release-Informationen. Debian 6.0.2 wurde am 25. Juni
2011 ...
Weitere Ergebnisse von debian.org
Debian – Wikipedia
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian
Debian basiert seit der 1996 veröffentlichten ersten stabilen
Version 1.1 Buzz bis zur Version 5.0.8 Lenny auf dem Linux-Kernel. Seit
Version 6.0, Squeeze, wird ...
Debian 6.0 »Squeeze« veröffentlicht - Pro-Linux
www.pro-linux.de/news/1/.../debian-60-squeeze-veroeffentlicht.html
6. Febr. 2011 – Nach 24 Monaten intensiver Entwicklungsarbeit hat
das Debian Projekt Debian 6.0 »Squeeze« veröffentlicht.
Erstes Update für Debian "Squeeze" | heise open
20. März 2011 – Das Debian-Projekt hat in Version 6.0.1 zahlreiche
aktualisierte Pakete bereitgestellt, die bekannte Sicherheitslücken
schließen und Fehler ...
Debian Squeeze bringt 10.000 neue Pakete « NEWS « Linux ...
www.linux-magazin.de › NEWS
7. Febr. 2011 – Das Debian-Projekt hat Version 6.0 (Squeeze) seiner
freien Linux-Distribution veröffentlicht.
DEbian Squeeze Sound nach letztem Update weg - Zockertown ...
zockertown.de/s9y/index.php?/archives/1520-DEbian-Squeeze...
vor 5 Tagen – Merkwürdig. Ohne mir ersichtlichen Grund war plötzlich
kein Sound mehr da. Es ist eine ganz normale Debian Squeeze
Installation, ohne extra ...
Debian Squeeze volatile Mirror durch squeeze-updates ersetzt - Linux

www.sysadminslife.com/.../debian-squeeze-volatile-mirror-durch-squ...
15. Febr. 2011 – Wer unter Debian 5 Lenny das volatile Archiv, für
zB.: Spam-Filter oder Virenscanner Updates, in seiner Paketverwaltung
verwendet hat, wird ...

Verwandte Suchanfragen zu debian squeeze

debian squeeze release date

debian squeeze download iso

debian squeeze xen

debian squeeze netinstall

debian squeeze volatile

debian squeeze vmware tools

debian squeeze backports

debian squeeze nvidia
Anzeigen

Debian Squeeze bei eBay
www.ebay.de/Debian+Squeeze
ebay.de ist mit

Bewertung: 4,7 von 5,0

bewertet
Debian squeeze: Reihenweise Angebote
Debian squeeze? Ab zu eBay!

Hier könnte Ihre Anzeige stehen »
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Weiter

Suchtipps Feedback geben Google.com in English
Google-Startseite‎Werben mit
Google‎Unternehmensangebote‎Datenschutz‎Übe r Google‎