Old 10-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Mark Panen

Default Hard drive failing?

Hi My 1.5 TB WD HDD has 384 bad sectors according to "fsck.ext4 -cvf
/dev/x" Is this bad? Since last year October the HDD has been very
slow to browse the folders.

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Claudius Hubig

Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi My 1.5 TB WD HDD has 384 bad sectors according to "fsck.ext4 -cvf
>/dev/x" Is this bad? Since last year October the HDD has been very
>slow to browse the folders.

Probably, yes. The output of dmesg and smartctl -a /dev/x would be
helpful. In any case, you should quickly backup everything valuable
on that device.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Miller's Slogan:
Lose a few, lose a few.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:44:32 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

> Hi My 1.5 TB WD HDD has 384 bad sectors according to "fsck.ext4 -cvf
> /dev/x" Is this bad? Since last year October the HDD has been very slow
> to browse the folders.

Mmm... hard to tell :-?

Run "smartctl" (long test mode) and send the report to the list.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Mark Panen

On 4 October 2011 17:55, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:44:32 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
>
>> Hi My 1.5 TB WD HDD has 384 bad sectors according to "fsck.ext4 -cvf
>> /dev/x" Is this bad? Since last year October the HDD has been very slow
>> to browse the folders.
>
> Mmm... hard to tell :-?
>
> Run "smartctl" (long test mode) and send the report to the list.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I am running "smartctl -t long /dev/xxx" how do i get the output of
the log file once it's finished? man page is unclear.
--
Cheers
Mark

Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011, Mark Panen wrote:
> I am running "smartctl -t long /dev/xxx" how do i get the output of
> the log file once it's finished? man page is unclear.

smartctl --xall will tell you everything and then some. If it doesn't
work, use smartctl -a.

You probably also want to use "-d sat" on all smartctl commands if it is
an directly attached ATA device (i.e. not USB, and not connected through
a hardware RAID card).

Henrique Holschuh

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Mark Panen

On 4 October 2011 20:00, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011, Mark Panen wrote:
>> I am running "smartctl -t long /dev/xxx" how do i *get the output of
>> the log file once it's finished? man page is unclear.
>
> smartctl --xall will tell you everything and then some. *If it doesn't
> work, use smartctl -a.
>
> You probably also want to use "-d sat" on all smartctl commands if it is
> an directly attached ATA device (i.e. not USB, and not connected through
> a hardware RAID card).
>
> --
> *"One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
> *them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
> *where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
> *Henrique Holschuh

smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc1
smartctl 5.40 2010-07-12 r3124 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining
LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 17291
1019262483
# 2 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 17291
1019262483
# 3 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 17290
1019262483
# 4 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 17267
1019262483
# 5 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 17267
1304384272
# 6 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 17267
1019262483
# 7 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 14560
1019262483
# 8 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 14511
1019262483

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011, Mark Panen wrote:
> # 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 17291
> 1019262483

Get a new disk, transfer all the important data you still can (or
restore from backups), secure erase, and send it in for replacement if
it is still in warranty.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Bob Proulx

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> You probably also want to use "-d sat" on all smartctl commands if it is
> an directly attached ATA device (i.e. not USB, and not connected through
> a hardware RAID card).

Is that "-d sat" needed anymore? I think that these days it is always
automatically detected and so isn't required. If it isn't present it
makes a notation in the log file that it has switched it on as a
debugging aid. But that isn't considered a problem these days. I
expect that a future version will remove the debugging statement.

Bob

Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 PM

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Is that "-d sat" needed anymore? I think that these days it is always

Sometimes it is. I don't recall where I needed it, but I think it was on a
SATA disk connected to a SAS HBA.

Henrique Holschuh