Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Bruce Ward

Default Webcam and GSPCA problem with new kernel partly solved

I am running Lenny and have a Logitech webcam which uses the gspca
driver modules.

Running the standard (for Lenny) 2.6.26 kernel, I added
gspca-modules-2.6.26-2-686 and all is well. Camera is detected as v4l,
and cheese works, even producing video with synchronised audio.

Because later kernels have gspca modules in kernel, I installed the
2.6.32-bpo.5-686 from lenny-backports. Result - webcam does not work
with cheese except for showing the test pattern as seen in
gstreamer-properties with test input.

When cheese is started, the light on the camera blinks on twice and then
stays off - it should be on all the time. The gspca_main and gspca_zc3xx
modules are loaded as is v4l1_compat. But it doesn't work!

I have now installed libv4l-0 from lenny-backports and used LD_PRELOAD
to install the v4l1compat.so module, and have a partly working webcam. I
can at least take photographs with cheese but not a working video (rapid
movement & some audio - unintelligible), and switching from the cheese
desktop loses the picture when I return (although resizing the window
does bring the picture back).

I don't use the webcam much, but I do like to have everything working
properly. I'm not keen to 'upgrade' to squeeze until I can get this
fixed. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks, Bruce