Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Brian Sutherland

Default Custom Kernel and Swap

Debian (Squeeze) runs with a blank fstab. I am not sure exactly where the magic is on that but when I upgrade my kernel and use make-kpkg --initrd to put it all together I lose my swap. So I know could add it to the fstab to make it work but I am wondering what is set different in my kernel that is not auto activating it. Is it a config option? Something in the initrd? I imagine there is a simple answer but my web searches turned up nil.

Thanks
Brian

Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:14:11 -0400 (EDT), Brian Sutherland wrote:

> Debian (Squeeze) runs with a blank fstab. I am not sure exactly where
> the magic is on that but when I upgrade my kernel and use "make-kpkg --initrd"
> to put it all together I lose my swap. So I know could add it to the fstab
> to make it work but I am wondering what is set different in my kernel that
> is not auto activating it. Is it a config option? Something in the initrd?
> I imagine there is a simple answer but my web searches turned up nil.

Brian,

I run custom kernels generated by make-kpkg on an on-going basis,
but I have never run into the scenario you describe. I definitely
don't recommend running without an /etc/fstab file. Another file
you should check is /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. It should
contain contents something like:

RESUME=UUID=a6948969-2d88-4ec0-93a1-6d2d803ff8b3

where the stuff after the second equal sign is the uuid of the swap
partition which is used for the suspend/resume file. Most computers
only have one swap partition; so that should be the uuid of the
one and only swap partition. If the swap partition was reformatted
recently, the uuids won't match. Chang the file, if necessary,
so that they match. But in any case you should be
using an /etc/fstab file, and the swap partition should be listed
in it. Then run "update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)" to rebuild
your initial RAM file system once you have these files repaired.
Also, the boot loader configuration file should be specifying the
same root partition as is specified in /etc/fstab.

There probably is a kernel configuration option for enabling/disabling
swap file support. Make sure you have it set properly. I never
mess with it, but I seem to remember running across it during
kernel configuration.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:14:11 -0500, Brian Sutherland wrote:

> Debian (Squeeze) runs with a blank fstab.

How is that?!

Mine is full of useful things, like swap mount point, partitions and all
that "useless" stuff ;-)

> I am not sure exactly where the magic is on that but when I upgrade my
> kernel and use make-kpkg --initrd to put it all together I lose my
> swap. So I know could add it to the fstab to make it work but I am
> wondering what is set different in my kernel that is not auto
> activating it. Is it a config option? Something in the initrd? I
> imagine there is a simple answer but my web searches turned up nil.

I cannot reproduce that, at least within Wheezy. I had recently to
compile my own kernel and /swap is still there :-?

"/swap" can be added ondemand (by means of swapon) or by defining an
entry at "/etc/fstab" but if yours was empty then "/swap" won't be
automatically mounted at booting, regardless the kernel in use (Debian's
stock or self-compiled).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> There probably is a kernel configuration option for enabling/disabling
> swap file support. *Make sure you have it set properly. *I never
> mess with it, but I seem to remember running across it during
> kernel configuration.

In menuconfig, "General setup" then "Initial RAM filesystem and RAM
disk (initramfs/initrd) support".

Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Dom

There probably is a kernel configuration option for enabling/disabling
swap file support. Make sure you have it set properly. I never
mess with it, but I seem to remember running across it during
kernel configuration.

In menuconfig, "General setup" then "Initial RAM filesystem and RAM
disk (initramfs/initrd) support".

Which has nothing to do with swap fles.

--
Dom

Archive: 4E8B4026.8010307@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E8B4026.8010307@rpdom.net

Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
> On 04/10/11 17:34, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> In menuconfig, "General setup" then "Initial RAM filesystem and RAM
>> disk (initramfs/initrd) support".
>
> Which has nothing to do with swap fles.

Thanks. Somehow swap got turned into initramfs in my brain... I'm an idiot!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
>> On 04/10/11 17:34, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> In menuconfig, "General setup" then "Initial RAM filesystem and RAM
>>> disk (initramfs/initrd) support".
>>
>> Which has nothing to do with swap fles.
>
> Thanks. Somehow swap got turned into initramfs in my brain... I'm an idiot!

Forgot:

In menuconfig, "General setup" then "Support for paging of anonymous
memory (swap)".