Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Csanyi Pal

Default Running Password-gorilla on Debian SID after upgraded Debian from Squeeze

Hello Bob,

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> After upgrade to unstable whenever I start Password Gorilla I get
>> message:
>
> Since you are changing to a new topic it is best to post a new message
> to the mailing list and not reply to the older thread. People who
> have decided that they were not interested in the older thread may
> kill that entire thread and never see your new message on this new and
> unrelated topic.

Sorry for my mistake!

>> The Password Gorilla requires the "pwsafe" package. This seems to be an
>> installation problem, as the pwsafe package ought to be part of the
>> Password Gorilla distribution.
>
> I do not see that and cannot recreate your problem.
>
> $ $ apt-cache policy password-gorilla
> 1.5.3.4-1 0
> 500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages

apt-cache policy password-gorilla
password-gorilla:
Installed: 1.5.3.4-1
Candidate: 1.5.3.4-1
Version table:
*** 1.5.3.4-1 0
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> $ apt-cache show password-gorilla | grep Depends:
> Depends: tcl8.5, tk8.5, itcl3, bwidget, tcllib

apt-cache show password-gorilla | grep Depends:
Depends: tcl8.5, tk8.5, itcl3, bwidget, tcllib

> As you can see the password-gorilla in Sid does not require pwsafe.
> Double check your system and verify the package that you are trying to
> install. If you have not run 'apt-get update' after changing your
> sources.list file to other contents then you may be using stale files.
> Run 'apt-get update' to refresh your files.

I had run 'aptitude update'.

I have run 'apt-get update' too, and after that I tried
'apt-get install --reinstall password-gorilla'

and then I run password-gorilla but still get message abowe mentioned.

What can I do now to solve this problem?

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>

Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Csanyi Pal

Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Bob Proulx

Csanyi Pal wrote:
> >> The Password Gorilla requires the "pwsafe" package. This seems to be an
> >> installation problem, as the pwsafe package ought to be part of the
> >> Password Gorilla distribution.
> and then I run password-gorilla but still get message abowe mentioned.

You confused me because you said "The Password Gorilla requires the
"pwsafe" package." and I simply took you at your word. But the
package installs okay. There is no pwsafe package in Debian and the
Debian password-gorilla package does not require one.

I installed password-gorilla and tried it and it runs okay for me. I
traced through the program startup sequence as it it all scripts. The
/usr/bin/password-gorilla is a shell script that simply calls the
/usr/share/password-gorilla/gorilla.tcl script which turns around and
calls itself as a tclsh script which then loads up several tcl
libraries.

Then I see this section of code:

if {[catch {package require pwsafe} oops]} {
wm withdraw .
tk_messageBox -type ok -icon error -default ok
-title "Need PWSafe"
-message "The Password Gorilla requires the "pwsafe" package.
This seems to be an installation problem, as the pwsafe package
ought to be part of the Password Gorilla distribution."
exit
}

Now more becomes clear. Not everything but more. You were not saying
that you had seen that installing password-gorilla failed to install
because it required a pwsafe package. You meant to say that when you
ran password-gorrilla that it produced that message saying the above
text. That is an important different! The message is about a tcl
library that is included with password-gorrilla that it was unable to
load. The files are in the /usr/share/password-gorilla/pwsafe
directory.

So with this information the question is why isn't the tclsh script
able to load those files? In an earlier part of the script it sets a
variable gorillaDir to be the /usr/share/password-gorilla directory.
It then uses that to set the tcl library load path before trying to
load tcl libraries. It then loads a number of tcl libraries. The
pwsafe is after already having loaded several others but apparently is
the first one that fails to load. When it fails to load the tcl
script writes out that message that you are seeing.

It has been a long time since I have done any programming in tcl and
so I am missing some of the fine points that may be leading to trouble
for you. It works for me just fine therefore there must be something
about your environment.

Look for any environment variable that may affect it. Likely
candidates would contain TCL in their name. This command might
produce some clues.

$ env | grep TCL

Try running with a clean environment. The 'env -i' command can do
this by starting off a command with a clean environment.

$ env -i PATH=/usr/bin:/bin HOME=$HOME DISPLAY=$DISPLAY password-gorilla

If the above works for you (it does for me) then there is a problem
with an environment variable. Find it and fix it and you won't need
the environment initialization cleaning anymore.

If none of the above work then it would be reasonable to file a bug
report using reportbug.

$ reportbug password-gorilla

That would get the package maintainer involved. But by that point
there may be something that could be improved in the package.

Bob

Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Bob Proulx

Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Since you are changing to a new topic it is best to post a new message
> > to the mailing list and not reply to the older thread. People who
> > have decided that they were not interested in the older thread may
> > kill that entire thread and never see your new message on this new and
> > unrelated topic.
>
> Sorry for my mistake!
> What can I do now to solve this problem?

Sometimes you "can't win for losing". I didn't see this message and
so responded your original message.

Bob

Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Csanyi Pal

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> and then I run password-gorilla but still get message abowe
>> mentioned.

> You confused me because you said "The Password Gorilla requires the
> "pwsafe" package." and I simply took you at your word. But the
> package installs okay. There is no pwsafe package in Debian and the
> Debian password-gorilla package does not require one.

I just wanted to say that that when I run password-gorilla then I get a
message box that gives me this message:

<quoted>
The Password Gorilla requires the "pwsafe" package. This seems to
be an installation problem, as the pwsafe package ought to be part
of the Password Gorilla distribution.
</quoted>

Sorry for this misunderstanding.

> Now more becomes clear. Not everything but more. You were not saying
> that you had seen that installing password-gorilla failed to install
> because it required a pwsafe package. You meant to say that when you
> ran password-gorrilla that it produced that message saying the above
> text. That is an important different!

Yes, I meant to say that.

> Look for any environment variable that may affect it. Likely
> candidates would contain TCL in their name. This command might
> produce some clues.
>
> $ env | grep TCL

This command produce not any message here.

> Try running with a clean environment. The 'env -i' command can do
> this by starting off a command with a clean environment.
>
> $ env -i PATH=/usr/bin:/bin HOME=$HOME DISPLAY=$DISPLAY password-gorilla

With this command I can run password-gorilla successfully.

> If the above works for you (it does for me) then there is a problem
> with an environment variable. Find it and fix it and you won't need
> the environment initialization cleaning anymore.

I shall find and fix it.

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>

Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Bob Proulx

Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Try running with a clean environment. The 'env -i' command can do
> > this by starting off a command with a clean environment.
> >
> > $ env -i PATH=/usr/bin:/bin HOME=$HOME DISPLAY=$DISPLAY password-gorilla
>
> With this command I can run password-gorilla successfully.
>
> > If the above works for you (it does for me) then there is a problem
> > with an environment variable. Find it and fix it and you won't need
> > the environment initialization cleaning anymore.
>
> I shall find and fix it.

Yeah! Getting closer to fixing the problem. Since that is definitely
narrowing in on the problem I will say a few more words about the
envirionment and 'env -i'.

I am sure now that you have an environment variable that is affecting
tclsh and preventing it from operating correctly. The 'env -i'
initiallizes the environment to an clean empty environment. But most
programs need at least one or two variables set. PATH is almost
always required so I always add a reasonable default PATH. I guessed
at the above that it would need HOME since again most commands expect
to have HOME set to the home directory. That may or may not be
needed. And DISPLAY is required because X requires it to find the
display. So those are pretty much the minimum.

It is also possible that PATH itself is a problem. In which case you
can keep your normal environment but just modify PATH. Try this
without the -i option. That won't initialize to a clean environment
but will simply overwrite PATH.

$ env PATH=/usr/bin:/bin password-gorilla

That is almost the same as this next using just the shell but without
env. The difference is that using env is a shell independent and
portable way to ensure that you are running a program instead of an
alias or a shell function.

$ PATH=/usr/bin:/bin password-gorilla

If those work then the problem is in your PATH variable. You may be
overriding some component that is not compatible. If those don't work
then the problem is in some other environment variable.

I have about thirty environment variables set in my environment
without X running and running X adds another twenty. You will need to
inspect those and try to find the problem. But at least you know it
is there somewhere. And then after finding the problem you will then
still need to figure out how to correct it. Because if you are
running a heavy desktop such as GNOME or KDE then those will be
setting a lot of those variables without your direct control.

Good luck!
Bob

Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Csanyi Pal

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Bob Proulx writes:
>> > Try running with a clean environment. The 'env -i' command can do
>> > this by starting off a command with a clean environment.
>> >
>> > $ env -i PATH=/usr/bin:/bin HOME=$HOME DISPLAY=$DISPLAY
>> > password-gorilla
>>
>> With this command I can run password-gorilla successfully.
>>
>> > If the above works for you (it does for me) then there is a problem
>> > with an environment variable. Find it and fix it and you won't
>> > need the environment initialization cleaning anymore.
>>
>> I shall find and fix it.
>
> It is also possible that PATH itself is a problem. In which case you
> can keep your normal environment but just modify PATH. Try this
> without the -i option. That won't initialize to a clean environment
> but will simply overwrite PATH.
>
> $ env PATH=/usr/bin:/bin password-gorilla

With this command I can run password-gorilla successfully too.

> That is almost the same as this next using just the shell but without
> env. The difference is that using env is a shell independent and
> portable way to ensure that you are running a program instead of an
> alias or a shell function.
>
> $ PATH=/usr/bin:/bin password-gorilla

With this command I can run password-gorilla successfully too.

> If those work then the problem is in your PATH variable. You may be
> overriding some component that is not compatible. If those don't work
> then the problem is in some other environment variable.

I shall search for such component.

> I have about thirty environment variables set in my environment
> without X running and running X adds another twenty. You will need to
> inspect those and try to find the problem. But at least you know it
> is there somewhere. And then after finding the problem you will then
> still need to figure out how to correct it. Because if you are
> running a heavy desktop such as GNOME or KDE then those will be
> setting a lot of those variables without your direct control.

I'm running Window Maker but not GNOME nor KDE.

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>

Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Csanyi Pal

Hi Bob,

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Bob Proulx writes:
>> > Try running with a clean environment. The 'env -i' command can do
>> > this by starting off a command with a clean environment.
>> >
>> > $ env -i PATH=/usr/bin:/bin HOME=$HOME DISPLAY=$DISPLAY password-gorilla
>>
>> With this command I can run password-gorilla successfully.
>>
>> > If the above works for you (it does for me) then there is a problem
>> > with an environment variable. Find it and fix it and you won't need
>> > the environment initialization cleaning anymore.
>>
>> I shall find and fix it.
>
> Yeah! Getting closer to fixing the problem. Since that is definitely
> narrowing in on the problem I will say a few more words about the
> envirionment and 'env -i'.
>
> I am sure now that you have an environment variable that is affecting
> tclsh and preventing it from operating correctly. The 'env -i'
> initiallizes the environment to an clean empty environment. But most
> programs need at least one or two variables set. PATH is almost
> always required so I always add a reasonable default PATH. I guessed
> at the above that it would need HOME since again most commands expect
> to have HOME set to the home directory. That may or may not be
> needed. And DISPLAY is required because X requires it to find the
> display. So those are pretty much the minimum.
>
> It is also possible that PATH itself is a problem. In which case you
> can keep your normal environment but just modify PATH. Try this
> without the -i option. That won't initialize to a clean environment
> but will simply overwrite PATH.
>
> $ env PATH=/usr/bin:/bin password-gorilla
>
> That is almost the same as this next using just the shell but without
> env. The difference is that using env is a shell independent and
> portable way to ensure that you are running a program instead of an
> alias or a shell function.
>
> $ PATH=/usr/bin:/bin password-gorilla

As I sed before, this work.

> If those work then the problem is in your PATH variable. You may be
> overriding some component that is not compatible. If those don't work
> then the problem is in some other environment variable.

After I add lines shown bellow and restart X Window,

.xsessionrc
Language=hu_HU.utf8
Layout=hu standard

~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart
Language=hu_HU.utf8
Layout=hu

Password Gorilla run without any problem.
However, I don't know the cause of this success.

--
Regards, Pal
<http://cspl.me>