Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

Default how ssh implements X forwarding

Hello all,

I was wondering exactly how X11 forwarding is implemented on an ssh
tunnel...

can anyone point me to some hands-on/tutorial information on this, and
maybe other useful practical cases using ssh ?

thanks
Joao

Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
kuLa

Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Scott Ferguson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System#Network

> can anyone point me to some hands-on/tutorial information on this, and
> maybe other useful practical cases using ssh ?
>
> thanks
> Joao

A "general" tutorial is unlikely to be useful to you (or you'd figure
out your answers from "man X"). :-)

I suspect you'll find a more specific tutorial helpful.

What Display Manager are you running?
eg. xdm, gdm, kdm etc.

Hint: look in /etc/init.d

What release of Debian are you running?

Cheers

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Joao Ferreira Gmail

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 20:27 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 03/10/11 20:12, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was wondering exactly how X11 forwarding is implemented on an ssh
> > tunnel...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System#Network
>

> > can anyone point me to some hands-on/tutorial information on this, and
> > maybe other useful practical cases using ssh ?
> >
> > thanks
> > Joao
> >

> A "general" tutorial is unlikely to be useful to you (or you'd figure
> out your answers from "man X"). :-)
>
> I suspect you'll find a more specific tutorial helpful.
>
> What Display Manager are you running?
> eg. xdm, gdm, kdm etc.
>
> Hint: look in /etc/init.d
>
> What release of Debian are you running?

Hi,

I'm using gdm on wheezy.

Yes, the manual is a good starting point. I was just wondering how much
can I get from ssh... it's such an incredible tool...

cheers
Joao