Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Jason Heeris

Default USB bluetooth dongle: cannot pair or be detected

System: Debain Wheezy/Sid on a HP Pavilion notebook, Linux
3.0.0-1-amd64; DE is Gnome (with the 2/3 mix that's currently going
through Wheezy/Sid)
Other device: HTC Desire running CyanogenMod 7.1.0 RC1
lsusb indicates that the dongle is:*ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon
Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Basically, I seem unable to get my phone to see, talk to, or be paired
with my PC using a USB bluetooth dongle. The phone pairs up with other
bluetooth phones fine.

The steps I've taken so far are:

1. Plug in dongle (the bluetooth service is already running, and the
bluetooth applet appears in the tray)
2. Run blueman-manager (capturing console output, but there's a lot of
it, so I didn't attach it)
3. Select "Adapter > Preferences..." and set it up to be "Always
Visible" with a friendly name
4. Back to Blueman's main screen, click "Search..."
5. My phone is shown in the list (although not with its assigned name,
just its MAC), so I right click that and select "Setup..."
6. Select "Use Custom Passkey: " and enter 1234, click "Forward".
Blueman attempts to pair with the phone, but no prompt is shown on my
phone and Blueman tells me that pairing failed.
7. I right click on my device in Blueman's list and select "Add...". I
wait a bit, and it fails with a blank error notification (screenshot
attached).
8. I scan for devices with my phone, but no devices are shown.

So my question is: how do I get them to pair up?

dmesg output after plugging in the dongle is:
----
[ *271.808157] usb 6-2: new full speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
[ *272.013520] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0a12, idProduct=0001
[ *272.013529] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ *272.073267] Bluetooth: Generic Bluetooth USB driver ver 0.6
[ *272.073432] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb
----

Packages:
* blueman 1.21-4.1
* bluetooth 4.96-1
gnome-bluetooth 2.30.0-3
(there are others, so if I've missed an important one, let me know)

Cheers,
Jason