Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 AM
wzab

Default Problem with /tmp full due to default mounting on tmpfs in laptop with big RAM

Hi,

I've run into serious problem when moved my FPGA development system to
the new laptop with 8GB of RAM.

The FPGA compilers stopped to work mysteriously.
After some time I've found, that the reason is lack of place in the /tmp
directory.

Investigating it, I've found, that the /tmp is now mounted (in the
/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh script) by default as tmpfs with capacity of
20% of RAM, which was way too small for those tools, which place big
temporary files in /tmp.

As I didn't need to reinstall any of my Debian systems for quite a long
time, I don't know when this behavior has changed.
Anyway, finding of the cause and cure (which was simply setting of
"RAMTMP" to "no" in the /etc/default/rcS ) consumed quite a long time...

WZab

Archive: 4E8953AA.7020401@ise.pw.edu.pl">http://lists.debian.org/4E8953AA.7020401@ise.pw.edu.pl

Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Bob Proulx

wzab wrote:
> Investigating it, I've found, that the /tmp is now mounted (in the
> /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh script) by default as tmpfs with capacity
> of 20% of RAM, which was way too small for those tools, which place
> big temporary files in /tmp.

Interesting. Thank you for pointing this out. I was unaware of the
change as well. However I had not yet been hit by it. The default
seems to have changed in Sid/Wheezy. The Squeeze default is still the
traditional one and does not use tmpfs for /tmp. As I see things by
inspection only a new install of Wheezy will see this behavior.

I think this is a significant enough change that it warrants a
NEWS.Debian item.

I do remember seeing a lot of tmpfs discussion in the debian-devel
mailing list. I am sure that a search there would reveal much
rationale behind this change.

> As I didn't need to reinstall any of my Debian systems for quite a
> long time, I don't know when this behavior has changed.

But if you have not reinstalled then this behavior should not have
changed for you. Up through Squeeze there is no tmpfs for /tmp. Only
in Sid/Wheezy do I see that the default has changed.

The package default file is:

/usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS

In the initscripts.postinst script:

if [ ! -f /etc/default/rcS ]
then
cp -p /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS /etc/default/rcS
fi

That /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS is only used if there isn't
already a /etc/default/rcS file in place. That will be true only
during initial system installation time. A system that is upgrading
from a previous version will already have that file and it won't be
modified. Updates to it would be the responsibility of the local
admin to perform. It shouldn't happen automatically.

> Anyway, finding of the cause and cure (which was simply setting of
> "RAMTMP" to "no" in the /etc/default/rcS ) consumed quite a long
> time...

Thank you again for mentioning this. It would have affected me in the
upcoming Wheezy release. Now that I am warned about it I can look
for it and deal with it.

Bob

Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 03 oct 11, 12:03:36, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I think this is a significant enough change that it warrants a
> NEWS.Debian item.

Most probably it will get a mention in the Release Notes.

Regards,
Andrei