-   -   portable driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/582628-portable-driver.html)

lina 10-02-2011 02:47 PM

portable driver

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:17:41 +0800, lina wrote:

> My graphic driver has not been installed,

You mean your VGA driver?

> so I access from console,

> but in /media

> there is none such portable driver.

And what kind of relation we must see between the VGA driver and your

portable drive? Kindly explain :-)

> I want to use it to transfer large files (more than 100G). use network

> really slow.

> But before when the graphic driver works, I can find it in /media.

!?

I still don't see any relation between these two (VGA driver and /media

mount point) as you don't even need a DE nor a graphical driver to mount

your external disk. You can always do it manually by connecting the

external drive and then type "dmesg" to find out where the disk has been

detected, then mount it with "mount" by passing it the right parameters

for perms.

Greetings,

sorry, don't know how to copy screen and use email in console,

just typed something it popped up:

[8038.643316] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] No Caching mode page present
[8038.643403] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

I used to find it in the /media, but now none.

I checked dmesg
it showed USB Mass Storage support registered.
but I don't know how to mount.

Thanks

*

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.10.02.14.27.16@gmail.com

--
Best Regards,

lina

Camaleón 10-02-2011 03:05 PM

portable driver

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:47:00 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > But before when the graphic driver works, I can find it in /media.
>>
>> !?
>>
>> I still don't see any relation between these two (VGA driver and /media
>> mount point) as you don't even need a DE nor a graphical driver to
>> mount your external disk. You can always do it manually by connecting
>> the external drive and then type "dmesg" to find out where the disk has
>> been detected, then mount it with "mount" by passing it the right
>> parameters for perms.
>>

> sorry, don't know how to copy screen and use email in console,

GPM (mouse on console) may help.

> just typed something it popped up:
>
> [8038.643316] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] No Caching mode page present
> [8038.643403] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

Okay, then it's "/dev/sdb" but are you sure? To re-check run "fdisk -l"
as root.

> I used to find it in the /media, but now none.

Yes, that's usually managed by DE automounter (nowadays policykit based).

> I checked dmesg
> it showed USB Mass Storage support registered. but I don't know how to
> mount.

Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-
as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

P.S. May I ask why you cannot access your DE as usual? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 10-02-2011 04:06 PM

portable driver

On Oct 2, 2011, at 23:05, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:47:00 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)

>>> !?

The fglrx driver was removed last time due to the update of xserver-Xorg-core.

Today tried to downgrade the xserver, which removed the Xorg and etc. So later come back to present xserver.

Still don't know how to install the fglrx-driver. This is another story.

>>> I still don't see any relation between these two (VGA driver and /media
>>> mount point) as you don't even need a DE nor a graphical driver to
What does the DE mean?
>>> mount your external disk. You can always do it manually by connecting
>>> the external drive and then type "dmesg" to find out where the disk has
>>> been detected, then mount it with "mount" by passing it the right
>>> parameters for perms.
>>>

>> sorry, don't know how to copy screen and use email in console,
>
> GPM (mouse on console) may help.

Seems my mouse not be recognized in console. Do I need set up GPM?

>> just typed something it popped up:
>>
>> [8038.643316] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] No Caching mode page present
>> [8038.643403] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
>
> Okay, then it's "/dev/sdb" but are you sure? To re-check run "fdisk -l"
> as root.
Thanks.
Right now my back is pain to hell.
I couldn't bear stay one more minute in front of computer. So now I'm laying in bed use phone. I will check tomorrow.

>> I used to find it in the /media, but now none.
>
> Yes, that's usually managed by DE automounter (nowadays policykit based).
>
>> I checked dmesg
>> it showed USB Mass Storage support registered. but I don't know how to
>> mount.
>
> Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-
> as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):
>
> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
>
> P.S. May I ask why you cannot access your DE as usual? :-?
DE = desktop environment?

> Greetings,

Thanks. ^_^

Camaleón 10-02-2011 04:44 PM

portable driver

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 00:06:28 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2011, at 23:05, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

> The fglrx driver was removed last time due to the update of
> xserver-Xorg-core.
>
> Today tried to downgrade the xserver, which removed the Xorg and etc. So
> later come back to present xserver.
>
> Still don't know how to install the fglrx-driver. This is another story.

Okay, I read a bit of your odissey but didn't know you finally got xorg
server removed at all... I wonder if using "vesa", "fb" or nouveu driver
would have been enough to bypass the closed nvidia driver transition :-?

> What does the DE mean?

DE = Desktop Environment, usually GNOME, KDE, XFCE...

>>> sorry, don't know how to copy screen and use email in console,
>>
>> GPM (mouse on console) may help.
>
> Seems my mouse not be recognized in console. Do I need set up GPM?

It should be enough with just have it installed and running, here are some
instructions:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-linux-configure-the-mouse-at-a-text-based-terminal-for-copy-and-paste-operation.html

>> Okay, then it's "/dev/sdb" but are you sure? To re-check run "fdisk -l"
>> as root.

> Thanks.
> Right now my back is pain to hell.
> I couldn't bear stay one more minute in front of computer. So now I'm
> laying in bed use phone. I will check tomorrow.

Okay :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 10-02-2011 04:55 PM

portable driver

On Oct 3, 2011, at 0:44, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 00:06:28 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Oct 2, 2011, at 23:05, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> The fglrx driver was removed last time due to the update of
>> xserver-Xorg-core.
>>
>> Today tried to downgrade the xserver, which removed the Xorg and etc. So
>> later come back to present xserver.
>>
>> Still don't know how to install the fglrx-driver. This is another story.
>
> Okay, I read a bit of your odissey but didn't know you finally got xorg
> server removed at all... I wonder if using "vesa", "fb" or nouveu driver
> would have been enough to bypass the closed nvidia driver transition :-?

Haha...

This one is ATI. So use fglrx driver.

The desktop is nvidia one. That story you noticed has an happy ending.
this morning after update. Magically, It's back to normal. Not slow any more.

>> What does the DE mean?
>
> DE = Desktop Environment, usually GNOME, KDE, XFCE...

>>> GPM (mouse on console) may help.
>>
>> Seems my mouse not be recognized in console. Do I need set up GPM?
>
> It should be enough with just have it installed and running, here are some
> instructions:
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-linux-configure-the-mouse-at-a-text-based-terminal-for-copy-and-paste-operation.html

Thanks. I will check tomorrow.

Camaleón 10-02-2011 05:01 PM

portable driver

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 00:55:46 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2011, at 0:44, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> Still don't know how to install the fglrx-driver. This is another
>>> story.
>>
>> Okay, I read a bit of your odissey but didn't know you finally got xorg
>> server removed at all... I wonder if using "vesa", "fb" or nouveu
>> driver would have been enough to bypass the closed nvidia driver
>> transition :-?
>
> Haha...
>
> This one is ATI. So use fglrx driver.

(...)

Oops, sorry. I was having in mind -dunno why- nvidia...

But then you can use "radeon" ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 10-03-2011 02:40 AM

portable driver

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:47:00 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > But before when the graphic driver works, I can find it in /media.

>> !?

>> I still don't see any relation between these two (VGA driver and /media

>> mount point) as you don't even need a DE nor a graphical driver to

>> mount your external disk. You can always do it manually by connecting

>> the external drive and then type "dmesg" to find out where the disk has

>> been detected, then mount it with "mount" by passing it the right

>> parameters for perms.

> sorry, don't know how to copy screen and use email in console,

GPM (mouse on console) may help.

> just typed something it popped up:

> [8038.643316] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] No Caching mode page present

> [8038.643403] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

Okay, then it's "/dev/sdb" but are you sure? To re-check run "fdisk -l"

as root.*

> I used to find it in the /media, but now none.

Yes, that's usually managed by DE automounter (nowadays policykit based).

> I checked dmesg

> it showed USB Mass Storage support registered. but I don't know how to

> mount.

Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-

as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Thanks. it works. just a little question here,

I only have 2 partitions in hard drive,
why there are 6 sdb which ranges from sdb1 to sdb6.

I even don't know which two exactly are the true one, so tried one by one.

are there some way to identify each? sdb.

*

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.10.02.15.05.20@gmail.com

--
Best Regards,

lina

Camaleón 10-03-2011 12:11 PM

portable driver

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:40:24 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-
>> as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):
>>
>> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
>>

> Thanks. it works.

Good :-)

> just a little question here,
>
> I only have 2 partitions in hard drive, why there are 6 sdb which ranges
> from sdb1 to sdb6.

Dunno... attach the drive and give us the output of (as root):

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

> I even don't know which two exactly are the true one, so tried one by
> one.
>
> are there some way to identify each? sdb.

Yes, you can "label" partitions to identify them :-)

Look:

stt008:~# blkid|grep sdc
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="PRUEBAS" UUID="F839-2B41" TYPE="vfat"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's my small USB flash drive (128 MiB) with just one partition on it
that's labeled "PRUEBAS" and then I can mount it by issuing:

sm01@stt008:~$ umount /media/PRUEBAS

stt008:~# mount -L PRUEBAS /media

stt008:~# mount|grep -i sdc
/dev/sdc1 on /media type vfat (rw)

How to give a label to a partition? I always make that step when
formatting the drive but it can be done afterwards with "tune2fs" or
"e2label" utilities (on ext2/3/4 based filesystems). Read man page for
detailed info on how to use them :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

lina 10-03-2011 12:40 PM

portable driver

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:40:24 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-

>> as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):

>> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

> Thanks. it works.

Good :-)

> just a little question here,

> I only have 2 partitions in hard drive, why there are 6 sdb which ranges

> from sdb1 to sdb6.

Dunno... attach the drive and give us the output of (as root):

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

> I even don't know which two exactly are the true one, so tried one by

> one.

> are there some way to identify each? sdb.

Yes, you can "label" partitions to identify them :-)

Look:

stt008:~# blkid|grep sdc

/dev/sdc1: LABEL="PRUEBAS" UUID="F839-2B41" TYPE="vfat"

* * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's my small USB flash drive (128 MiB) with just one partition on it

that's labeled "PRUEBAS" and then I can mount it by issuing:

sm01@stt008:~$ umount /media/PRUEBAS

stt008:~# mount -L PRUEBAS /media

stt008:~# mount|grep -i sdc

/dev/sdc1 on /media type vfat (rw)

How to give a label to a partition? I always make that step when

formatting the drive but it can be done afterwards with "tune2fs" or
Yeah, I also gave them name during initial formatting, which can be recognized in Desktop environment,
but in console, not be able to do that.

Thanks, now I figured out which ones are the ones by mounted them one by one.

Thanks again,
*

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.10.03.12.11.45@gmail.com

--