Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default daft newbie questions

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 17:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:06:31 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:
>
> > I thought Wheezey was still on Gnome 2.30, not even 2.32?
>
> I guessed the OP was using an Evolution from another distribution.

Current Evolution for testing's GNOME 2.30.2 is 3.0.3.
If you've got friends who are journalists in China, than you better
don't use Evolution. You might use the undo option and this will send
the email, before you encrypted it, so this little bug might be the
cause that your friends will be killed by the Chinese government.

> > Im hoping Gnome 3.4 or 3.6 will be polished enough to make it into
> > Wheezey when it goes stable.
>
> GNOME 3 is already in wheezhy. What still is not there is the fearsome
> gnome-shell }:-)
>
> > Ive been trying 3.0 out on Fedora and think its great ( Gnome 3 that is
> > not Fedora A few rough edges on the new System Prefs app but nothing
> > that wont be polished up in time.
>
> If you like GNOME 3 + gnome-shell then you're fortunate.

GNOME 3 will bring us a lot of pain . Fortunately there are a lot of
discussions about the DE that will replace GNOME for many people, as
soon as GNOME 2 will be dropped.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 04:37:11 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 17:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:06:31 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:
>>
>> > I thought Wheezey was still on Gnome 2.30, not even 2.32?
>>
>> I guessed the OP was using an Evolution from another distribution.
>
> Current Evolution for testing's GNOME 2.30.2 is 3.0.3.

Yes, but the OP could be using another EVO not packaged by Debian.

> If you've got friends who are journalists in China, than you better
> don't use Evolution. You might use the undo option and this will send
> the email, before you encrypted it, so this little bug might be the
> cause that your friends will be killed by the Chinese government.

I can understand that you have been hit by Evo recently but hey, we all
have bad days and we all now software can fail.

I don't know what that "undo" function is all about but if it does what I
think it does (similar to Gmail's undo ability) then I would not rely on
it, I mean, on the function, not the program. You can't blame the
"messenger" :-)

>> > Ive been trying 3.0 out on Fedora and think its great ( Gnome 3 that
>> > is not Fedora A few rough edges on the new System Prefs app but
>> > nothing that wont be polished up in time.
>>
>> If you like GNOME 3 + gnome-shell then you're fortunate.
>
> GNOME 3 will bring us a lot of pain .

More than GNOME 3 I'd say gnome-shell. GNOME 3 is quite good in wheezy.

> Fortunately there are a lot of discussions about the DE that will
> replace GNOME for many people, as soon as GNOME 2 will be dropped.

I will give GNOME 3 (gnome-shell) a chance but I don't discard moving to
another desktop (or even try luck with a WM) in the event it becomes
something unable to deal with.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón