-   -   accessing fonts for emacs (Inconsolata) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/582476-accessing-fonts-emacs-inconsolata.html)

Harry Putnam 10-02-2011 12:49 AM

accessing fonts for emacs (Inconsolata)

I was convinced by arguments seen thru google, that I should install
`inconsolata' fonts... did so but now emacs knows nothing about it.

Googling on that subject has turned up a number of hits but so far it
all seems somewhat dated. Discussing the use of xorg.conf to point to
fonts and such.

Can anyone steer me toward more recent information on how to allow
emacs to access the true type fonts.

I have both xft and xftt running. Anyone know the server address for
xftt?

xlsfonts does not see inconsolata either.

So far all I've done regarding installing the fonts is running
`aptitude install ttf-inconsolata', maybe there is more I am supposed
to do?

Hopefully there is somewhere, current directions or tips.

Camaleón 10-02-2011 11:08 AM

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 19:49:58 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I was convinced by arguments seen thru google, that I should install
> `inconsolata' fonts... did so but now emacs knows nothing about it.

What does that font provide to got you convinced? :-)

I use "Courier-New" for monospaced fonts and also like "Liberation-Mono".

> Googling on that subject has turned up a number of hits but so far it
> all seems somewhat dated. Discussing the use of xorg.conf to point to
> fonts and such.
>
> Can anyone steer me toward more recent information on how to allow emacs
> to access the true type fonts.

I'm not an Emacs user but until someone in the know gives you more
advice, I would start by looking into Emacs wiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XftGnuEmacs

> I have both xft and xftt running. Anyone know the server address for
> xftt?
>
> xlsfonts does not see inconsolata either.

(...)

Hum... you mean the font is not available system wide? Is the font listed
within another app, i.e., gedit, LibreOffice Writer...?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Wim M 10-02-2011 01:00 PM

On 2011-10-02, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Can anyone steer me toward more recent information on how to allow
> emacs to access the true type fonts.
Hi,
in your .Xresources file put the following:

emacs.FontBackend: xft
Emacs.font: Inconsolata-12

and then call:

xrdb -merge .Xresources

to update your X config.
--
Wim.

Harry Putnam 10-04-2011 12:55 AM

Wim M <ichels.moabit@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2011-10-02, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone steer me toward more recent information on how to allow
>> emacs to access the true type fonts.
> Hi,
> in your .Xresources file put the following:
>
> emacs.FontBackend: xft
> Emacs.font: Inconsolata-12
>
> and then call:
>
> xrdb -merge .Xresources

Thanks... I had forgotten how to do that.
However, in this case... It did no good. Still listing all fonts by

That listing produced does not include any inconsolata, and in fact no
ttf at all.

Something odd, I noticed too. In the fonts directory at
/usr/share/fonts/truetype... I see:

freefont ttf-dejavu ttf-liberation ttf-sil-gentium
openoffice ttf-inconsolata ttf-lyx ttf-sil-gentium-basic

All the ttf font files end in *.ttf. For example the lyx set:

ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-lyx

cmex10.ttf cmr10.ttf esint10.ttf msam10.ttf rsfs10.ttf
cmmi10.ttf cmsy10.ttf eufm10.ttf msbm10.ttf wasy10.ttf

But inconsolata is different and there is only one:

ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-inconsolata

Inconsolata.otf

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 10-04-2011 03:03 AM

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011, Harry Putnam wrote:
> But inconsolata is different and there is only one:
>
> ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-inconsolata
>
> Inconsolata.otf

It is an OpenType PS font, not a TrueType font or an OpenType TT font.

But it really should work.

Henrique Holschuh