Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default British vs. American English (was Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 16:19 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Sunday 02 October 2011 15:58:01 consul tores wrote:
> > i am from El Salvador of America, but we do not take "America" only
> > for us; maybe it is related to common sense! or maybe low knowledge of
> > Geography. it is the same with North America without Mexico.
>
> I agree, consul tores and try to remember to say either the USofA or the USA
> when meaning that country. But I have never found an acceptable way for
> saying that someone is a native of that country. Citizen of the USofA
> perhaps?? Maybe we should coin an adjective. USian perhaps?
>
> Lisi
> (Who once spent 6 weeks in America, but has never been to the USA.)

US-American? In German I often write "US-Amerikaner".

- Ralf

Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 06:45:34 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I was kidding , since I'm a dino I know "MS-DOS", on my Atari ST 80286
> hardware emulater I used "DR-DOS" instead of the M$ thingy.

Sorry. Didn't notice the winkies.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Montag, 3. Oktober 2011 schrieb Stephen Powell:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 06:45:34 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I was kidding , since I'm a dino I know "MS-DOS", on my Atari ST
> > 80286 hardware emulater I used "DR-DOS" instead of the M$ thingy.
>
> Sorry. Didn't notice the winkies.

I thought we would have such kind of threads only on debian-user-german,
but I bet, it can happen here too.

No, I am not going to read all of this.

"Mark all messages in group as read"