Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Stephen Powell

Default British vs. American English (was Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 05:56:57 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I'm not sure what M$ does mean , but I'm sure "Winzigweich" is the
> same as M$ .

M$ means Microsoft. Microsoft is often abbreviated as MS, such as in
the term "MS-DOS". You can probably guess why the $ is sometimes
substituted for the S.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Curt

On 2011-10-02, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

>> Dialects, from time to time, have a way of becoming possessed of
>> delusions of grandeur and, believing that there is an opportunity for
>> world domination, create initiatives such as making it the default for
>> Operating System installations and ongoing processing.
>
> That's ridiculous. Americans are sometimes perceived as being
> arrogant by non-Americans (and unfortunately, sometimes justifiably

I think the man's tongue has met his cheek when he so speaks.

Maybe he should've included a winky:

;-)

Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 08:47:56 -0400 (EDT), Richard Bown wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 08:43 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> M$ means Microsoft. Microsoft is often abbreviated as MS, such as in
>> the term "MS-DOS". You can probably guess why the $ is sometimes
>> substituted for the S.
>
> does that mean its a shaky distro ?

Good one! :-)

The substitution of the $ for the S is commentary on their money-grubbing
ways. But I think it is fair to say that most people on this list
would consider Windows a "shaky distro". That's probably one of the
reasons they use Linux.

By the way, from what I hear on the news, the euro is shaky these days too!

(Sorry for the earlier accidental off-list reply, Richard.)

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Joe

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 09:09:28 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 08:47:56 -0400 (EDT), Richard Bown wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 08:43 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> M$ means Microsoft. Microsoft is often abbreviated as MS, such as
> >> in the term "MS-DOS". You can probably guess why the $ is
> >> sometimes substituted for the S.
> >
> > does that mean its a shaky distro ?
>
> Good one! :-)
>
> The substitution of the $ for the S is commentary on their
> money-grubbing ways. But I think it is fair to say that most people
> on this list would consider Windows a "shaky distro". That's
> probably one of the reasons they use Linux.

Not really, nowadays. I walk both the Dark and Light Paths, and since
XP arrived I haven't seen a BSOD, though I know people who have. Today,
if Windows crashes, there is as little doubt that it's because of dodgy
hardware or applications as with at least Testing.

As far as I can see, most Windows problems arise because of MS's
commercial nature rather than poor programming. I help out in an MS
forum, where at least half the problems are due to licensing and
market segmentation, and not technical issues.

But you can't really blame a commercial organisation for taking
advantage of markets, especially if it somehow seems to have a lot
more market share than perhaps any other company would be allowed by
various monopoly laws. I can't imagine what benefit there is to the US
government, or any other, from permitting a company that high a market
share in such a sensitive market... not that I'd ever expose a Windows
machine directly to the Internet.

--
Joe

Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Weaver

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:02:37 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2011-10-02, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dialects, from time to time, have a way of becoming possessed of
> >> delusions of grandeur and, believing that there is an opportunity
> >> for world domination, create initiatives such as making it the
> >> default for Operating System installations and ongoing processing.
> >
> > That's ridiculous. Americans are sometimes perceived as being
> > arrogant by non-Americans (and unfortunately, sometimes justifiably
>
> I think the man's tongue has met his cheek when he so speaks.
>
> Maybe he should've included a winky:
>
> ;-)

Yes. It took a while, but I got one.;-)
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"

Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
consul tores

2011/10/2 Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:51:14 -0400 (EDT), Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> It's all rather simple really!
>> English is a language and 'American English' is a dialect.
>
> Whether "American English" is a language or a dialect is not
> the point. *The point is that the same words sometimes mean
> different things to different people groups.
>>
>> Dialects, from time to time, have a way of becoming possessed of
>> delusions of grandeur and, believing that there is an opportunity for
>> world domination, create initiatives such as making it the default for
>> Operating System installations and ongoing processing.
>
> That's ridiculous. *Americans are sometimes perceived as being
> arrogant by non-Americans (and unfortunately, sometimes justifiably
> so), but this has nothing to do with "world domination".
> *Something* has to be the default. *Naturally, everyone would like
> their own language to be the default, but that's not possible.
> Since the vast majority of the people who started the Debian project,
> including the founders, DEBra and IAN Murdock, were Americans,
> naturally they chose American English as the default. *It made
> sense.
>
> --
> *.'`. * * Stephen Powell

Stephen

United States of America. Does "of" tell you something?

i am from El Salvador of America, but we do not take "America" only
for us; maybe it is related to common sense! or maybe low knowledge of
Geography. it is the same with North America without Mexico.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 02 October 2011 15:58:01 consul tores wrote:
> i am from El Salvador of America, but we do not take "America" only
> for us; maybe it is related to common sense! or maybe low knowledge of
> Geography. it is the same with North America without Mexico.

I agree, consul tores and try to remember to say either the USofA or the USA
when meaning that country. But I have never found an acceptable way for
saying that someone is a native of that country. Citizen of the USofA
perhaps?? Maybe we should coin an adjective. USian perhaps?

Lisi
(Who once spent 6 weeks in America, but has never been to the USA.)

Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
consul tores

2011/10/2 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
> On Sunday 02 October 2011 15:58:01 consul tores wrote:
>> i am from El Salvador of America, but we do not take "America" only
>> for us; maybe it is related to common sense! or maybe low knowledge of
>> Geography. it is the same with North America without Mexico.
>
> I agree, consul tores and try to remember to say either the USofA or the USA
> when meaning that country. *But I have never found an acceptable way for
> saying that someone is a native of that country. *Citizen of the USofA
> perhaps?? *Maybe we should coin an adjective. *USian perhaps?
>
> Lisi
> (Who once spent 6 weeks in America, but has never been to the USA.)

I never say American to do a reference to US or Americans/USians,
because i am American too.
Canadians use "native" and USians "indians" i think; we say
"indigenous"; and in general American natives or ancestors.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 02 October 2011 16:47:40 consul tores wrote:
> i am American too.

Quite, I was acknowledging that! As I say, I once spent 6 weeks in America
(Chile, in fact) but have never been to North America, though I did once have
an ambition to go to Mexico. (I didn't get there.)

Lisi

Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
consul tores

2011/10/2 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
> On Sunday 02 October 2011 16:47:40 consul tores wrote:
>> i am American too.
>
> Quite, I was acknowledging that! *As I say, I once spent 6 weeks in America
> (Chile, in fact) but have never been to North America, though I did once have
> an ambition to go to Mexico. *(I didn't get there.)
>
> Lisi

yes, i understood it in that way, but i add it for the list.