Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 09:53 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> But, if you want a stellar MUA, check out Mutt.

I tested Wanderlust for Emacs, but I don't like the tons of short-cuts.
Hm? Has Mutt a search option? The German Eiki says it one an award, but
KMail won an award too.

I experienced all Mozilla mailers, e.g. Thunderbird as good, I just
would prefer something original Linux, well I still use Iceweasel,
Firefox and Opera, since I don't know better browsers, but AFAIK they
started for the Windows platform.

- Ralf

Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 13:48 +0100, Tom Furie wrote:
> I avoid Evolution like the plague

I should do this too. That might protect others and me against my own
misbehaving.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 11:23 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> So, how long is the lkist of addressees going to get, and, why do you
> not just reply to the list?

If you reply to mails from the Digest, Evolution isn't able to reply to
the list only and ...

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 15:17 -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> But the quoted text makes clear who Ralf is addressing, so please let
> him troll alone, we have had enough useless emails already.

... since I was in a rage, I didn't edit the recipient lines. It also
can happen, that I forget this, when I'm not inn a rage.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 21:29, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Do I need to switch back to Windoof's Thunderbird for Linux, or is there
> any usable Linux Mailer?

I actually rally like Thunderbird. In fact, I think that Debian's
popular little daughter now uses Thunderbird as the default email
client instead of Evolution. Give it a try.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 01:22, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since a mere 20 minutes later he wrote that he *was* pissed, it must have been
> in the American sense. *No-one could go from very drunk to sober in 20
> minutes!! *I did rather wonder what he meant - I didn't know that the
> American sense existed.
>
> Lisi

You've never been stopped by a cop while drunk then! Instant sobriety!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Johann Spies

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 12:45:13PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 09:53 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> > But, if you want a stellar MUA, check out Mutt.
>
> I tested Wanderlust for Emacs, but I don't like the tons of short-cuts.
> Hm? Has Mutt a search option? The German Eiki says it one an award, but
> KMail won an award too.

Mutt has several search options and many shortcuts

I am using a maildir setup and with the maildir-utils I can use F8 to
search all my mail and F9 to browse the result.

I have not come across another mail client that can handle large volumes
of emails as efficiently as mutt (combined with .procmail, maildir and
maildir-utils). If you are not used to text-based mail clients it might
take some time to get used to, but the learning is worth while.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of
God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye
transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may
prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect,
will of God." Romans 12:1,2

Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Aaron Toponce

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 02:08:42PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 12:45:13PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I tested Wanderlust for Emacs, but I don't like the tons of short-cuts.

What do you mean by "short-cuts"? If you mean keyboard navigation, that is
what Mutt is all about. One keypress does one thing, while another does
something different. Because there is no GUI, it's 100% entirely driven by
the keyboard. So, the term "short-cuts" doesn't really apply here, as it's
the _only_ way to get around. In a GUI, I would imagine there are keyboard
"short-cuts" to mimic behavior that a mouse would do.

> > Hm? Has Mutt a search option? The German Eiki says it one an award, but
> > KMail won an award too.
>
> Mutt has several search options and many shortcuts
>
> I am using a maildir setup and with the maildir-utils I can use F8 to
> search all my mail and F9 to browse the result.

I haven't setup Mutt to read local mail, personally, so I haven't really
researched the search options and availability. I use it behind IMAP, and
rely on my IMAP provider for searching, filtering and labeling mail. I just
want my MUA to be a dummy-terminal, so-to-speak, to my mail.

> I have not come across another mail client that can handle large volumes
> of emails as efficiently as mutt (combined with .procmail, maildir and
> maildir-utils). If you are not used to text-based mail clients it might
> take some time to get used to, but the learning is worth while.

Agreed. I have surpassed 80,000 messages with my email provider, and still
going strong. Mutt is the only MUA that I have used that I can rip through
that amount of mail with little effort. And given all of its powerd and
extensibilities, I have a hard time using other clients. Plus, it's 100%
standards compliant, which not only is important for me using a web
browser, but also important for my mail.

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o

Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Ralf Mardorf

There's a western named ...

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 14:08 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> Mutt has several search options

"The good, ...

> and many shortcuts

... the Bad and the Ugly"

> I am using a maildir setup and with the maildir-utils I can use F8 to
> search all my mail and F9 to browse the result.

That's good again, since Evolution switched from mbox to maildir, so I
should be able to import the Mails from Evolution. Anyway, I tend to
install Thunderbird.

> [snip] handle large volumes [snip]

If so, indeed a good argument.

- Ralf

Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 03 oct 11, 06:39:25, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> Plus, it's 100%
> standards compliant, which not only is important for me using a web
> browser, but also important for my mail.

Not quite 100%, but the bugs... fleas get fixed when reported.

There is a long standing bug regarding GPG MIME signatures that get a
to look it up), which will cause standards compliant mailers (amazingly
Gmail is the more pedantic one here) to display/quote the GPG signature
on replies.

The bug is still present in squeeze (1.5.20), but it is fixed in 1.5.21
(available from backports).

Other than that a big +1 for mutt. The only possible evolution (pun
intended) I see for it would be to become a front-end/integrate
sup/notmuch.

Regards,
Andrei