Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Default Locale set to "C"

Hi, on a new Wheezy installation locale reports all the LC_* options set
to "C". As a result I can't see greek, they display as question marks in
gnome-terminal.

/etc/default/locale appropriately sets the default locale to
"en_US.UTF-8". I also tried /etc/profile and /etc/environment but the
locale remains set to "C".

What am I missing? Any help appreciated!

--
Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:21:23 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> Hi, on a new Wheezy installation locale reports all the LC_* options set
> to "C". As a result I can't see greek, they display as question marks in
> gnome-terminal.

Hum... and what returns "locale -a"?

> /etc/default/locale appropriately sets the default locale to
> "en_US.UTF-8". I also tried /etc/profile and /etc/environment but the
> locale remains set to "C".
>
> What am I missing? Any help appreciated!

You may want to try to reconfigure the package ("dpkg-reconfigure
locales").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:06:49 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:21:23 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>
> > Hi, on a new Wheezy installation locale reports all the LC_* options set
> > to "C". As a result I can't see greek, they display as question marks in
> > gnome-terminal.
>
> Hum... and what returns "locale -a"?

panayk@singapore:~$ locale -a
C.UTF-8
POSIX
el_GR.utf8
en_US.utf8

> > /etc/default/locale appropriately sets the default locale to
> > "en_US.UTF-8". I also tried /etc/profile and /etc/environment but the
> > locale remains set to "C".
> >
> > What am I missing? Any help appreciated!
>
> You may want to try to reconfigure the package ("dpkg-reconfigure
> locales").

I've tried this many times, but thanks!

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I read the article on debian-administration about locales, and there seems to be nothing I've missed. So I am considering this a bug. I reported it against package "locales", even thought it's probably caused by something else.

Bug number is 644047.

--
Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Maybe, you overlooked a setting in your personal settings in, e.g.,
~/.profile or ~/.bashrc, etc?
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 12:15:32 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:06:49 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:21:23 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, on a new Wheezy installation locale reports all the LC_* options
>> > set to "C". As a result I can't see greek, they display as question
>> > marks in gnome-terminal.
>>
>> Hum... and what returns "locale -a"?
>
> panayk@singapore:~$ locale -a
> C.UTF-8
> POSIX
> el_GR.utf8
> en_US.utf8

So Greek and US English are both installed. Good.

>> > /etc/default/locale appropriately sets the default locale to
>> > "en_US.UTF-8". I also tried /etc/profile and /etc/environment but the
>> > locale remains set to "C".
>> >
>> > What am I missing? Any help appreciated!
>>
>> You may want to try to reconfigure the package ("dpkg-reconfigure
>> locales").
>
> I've tried this many times, but thanks!

I thought the wanted locale could be missing (not installed) but no, is
there.

> I read the article on debian-administration about locales, and there
> seems to be nothing I've missed. So I am considering this a bug. I
> reported it against package "locales", even thought it's probably caused
> by something else.
>
> Bug number is 644047.

Yes, it seems a bit strange that choosen locale does not stick :-?

If you are using a DE, did you also check for the correct locale at the
login screen?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

On 10/02/2011 12:54 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 12:15:32 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:06:49 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hum... and what returns "locale -a"?
>>
>> panayk@singapore:~$ locale -a
>> C.UTF-8
>> POSIX
>> el_GR.utf8
>> en_US.utf8
>
> So Greek and US English are both installed. Good.

>>> You may want to try to reconfigure the package ("dpkg-reconfigure
>>> locales").
>>
>> I've tried this many times, but thanks!
>
> I thought the wanted locale could be missing (not installed) but no, is
> there.
>
>> I read the article on debian-administration about locales, and there
>> seems to be nothing I've missed. So I am considering this a bug. I
>> reported it against package "locales", even thought it's probably caused
>> by something else.
>>
>> Bug number is 644047.
>
> Yes, it seems a bit strange that choosen locale does not stick :-?
>
> If you are using a DE, did you also check for the correct locale at the
> login screen?

I will check in a minute. Also I am pretty sure I didn't set the locale
to "C". I copied .profile, .bashrc from another computer, where locales
work.

--
Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis

Old 10-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Panayiotis Karabassis wrote, on 10/02/11 13:59:
<snip>
> I will check in a minute. Also I am pretty sure I didn't set the locale
> to "C". I copied .profile, .bashrc from another computer, where locales
> work.

Could there have been a .bash_profile on the problematic computer which takes
precedence over the .profile you copied from the working environment?
--
Best regards,
Jörg--Volker.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Raf Czlonka

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 01:47:30PM BST, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Panayiotis Karabassis wrote, on 10/02/11 13:59:
> <snip>
> > I will check in a minute. Also I am pretty sure I didn't set the locale
> > to "C". I copied .profile, .bashrc from another computer, where locales
> > work.
> >
> Could there have been a .bash_profile on the problematic computer which takes
> precedence over the .profile you copied from the working environment?

Panayiotis,

What if you try to set locale to "el_GR.utf8" instead of "en_US.UTF-8"?
Could you include the content of /etc/default/locale?
Also, what does "locale" say?

Raf

Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Thank you all! The problem was with the default GDM settings. They were
set to ANSI_something. Switching to English solved my problem. I am
pretty sure, however, that I did not touch the GDM settings. So if this
is a bug, it is minor. Sorry for making so much noise about this.

Again thanks to all of you!

--
Best regards,
Panayiotis Karabassis