Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default wheezy after update significant slow

Hello all,

I remarked, that after the last update, my system is very very slow. But first
of all, please let me explain, what is slow and what I could find out.

1. When iceweasel is started, process Xorg increases to 100 percent and about
2 minutes nothing is working any more. I jknow, this was discussed in another
thread and is related to iceweasel plugin-container. But I doubt, this is the
main reason, because there are other weird things happening.

Maybe, they do not relate each other, please allow me, to mention them.

2. When starting konqueror and visiting sites with pictures on it, libreoffice
is started (an strace log is available). This also happens (very seldom) in
iceweasel, but never in opera. The same beahviour can be reproduced in LXDE as
well.

3. Typing an URL in konqueror let the process Xorg increase from 12 percent to
100 percent cpu power. Typing is very slow, I mean, you can type, but the
letters appear very slow.

4. Typing in Kmail is also very strange. In the subject field it behaves like
in the URL-bar of konqueror. But typing in the message field (like I do now),
is fast as normal.

5. I tried all tests with KHTML and webkit. With KHTML the libreoffice-effect is
much more seldom, but it appears randomly, too.

6. As I am using privoxy and tor, I tried also all tests with and without them
- with the same results.

7. I reverted to xserver-xorg version before the last one, but although it was
a little bit better, it was not good as expected.

All tests I made, are reproducable.

I am no coder,o but I guess, the problem might be somewhere in the rendering
engine of Xorg or some libhtmlwhatever. I suppose, you know much better than
me, which are the responsible packages or libs. If I would know, I would have
filed a bug report, of course. Related to the libreoffice-effect, there is on from
me against the webkit-package, although the target might be false.

I hope, you can use these informations, to find out, what really happens.

Best regards, and thumbs up!

Hans

Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM
lina

My Sid one after updating also get retard.

Lina

Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

What is the output of

glxinfo | grep render

and of

grep -E '((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and of

grep abled /var/log/Xorg.0.log

?
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:19 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011 schrieb Jörg-Volker Peetz:
> What is the output of
>
> glxinfo | grep render
>
> and of
>
> grep -E '((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> and of
>
> grep abled /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> ?
Hi Jörg-Volker,

I know, what you are thinking, but it is no problem with acceleration.
Acceleration is working (glxgears gives me 2900 fps, which is the usual
framerate as always.

But here are the results:

glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600M GS/PCI/SSE2
GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_OES_depth24,
GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer,

grep abled /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 74.915] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
'vmmouse' will be disabled.
[ 74.918] (II) "extmod" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and
also specified in the config file.
[ 74.918] (II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
[ 80.473] (**) NVIDIA(0): TwinView enabled
[ 82.752] (==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
[ 82.752] (==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
[ 82.753] (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
[ 82.755] (==) RandR enabled
[ 82.755] (II) SELinux: Disabled on system

grep -E '((EE|WW))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" does not
exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not
exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/" does not
exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/" does not
exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" does not
exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi" does not
exist.
[ 74.786] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[ 74.787] (WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi" does not
exist.
[ 74.914] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not
exist.
[ 74.914] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[ 74.915] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[ 74.915] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
'vmmouse' will be disabled.
[ 74.915] (WW) Disabling Generic Keyboard
[ 74.915] (WW) Disabling Configured Mouse
[ 79.263] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize Multi-GPU! Reason: Only one
GPU
[ 79.263] (WW) NVIDIA(0): detected. Only one GPU will be used for this
X screen.
[ 80.473] (WW) NVIDIA(0): No TwinView "MetaModes" specified; will fall back
to Display
[ 80.473] (WW) NVIDIA(0): SubSection modes.
[ 80.473] (WW) NVIDIA(0): TwinView requested, but only 1 display devices
found.
[ 80.574] (WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1280x800"; removing.
[ 81.602] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Stereo is only available on Quadro cards
[ 82.754] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "AllowDFPStereo" is not used
[ 85.529] (EE) Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
[ 85.529] (EE) Synaptics Touchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics
hardware.
[ 85.580] (EE) PreInit returned 11 for "Synaptics Touchpad"
[ 86.087] (EE) Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
[ 86.087] (EE) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad Unable to query/initialize
Synaptics hardware.
[ 86.124] (EE) PreInit returned 11 for "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

As you see, everything is normal. I am running in mode 1440x900.

Best regards

Hans

Old 10-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 13:23 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I remarked, that after the last update, my system is very very slow.
> But first
> of all, please let me explain, what is slow and what I could find out.
>
> 1. When iceweasel is started, process Xorg increases to 100 percent
> and about
> 2 minutes nothing is working any more. I jknow, this was discussed in
> another
> thread and is related to iceweasel plugin-container. But I doubt, this
> is the
> main reason, because there are other weird things happening.

On my machine everything is testing excepted of some X related packages.
A while ago I had issues with a too slow internet connection, that
didn't effect Opera, just Iceweasel, but some time ago, until now,
everything is fast as usual.

> [snip]

I only have got one issue for typing, when using Evolution, seldom
entering the return-key will put the mouse cursor to the top left
corner.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 21:04 +0800, lina wrote:
> My Sid one after updating also get retard.
>
> Lina

Do Hans and you use the nouveau driver? If so, I recommend to use the
proprietary or to downgrade X to stable and to use the nv driver. For
the Linux audio community this driver is known as unusable.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> All tests I made, are reproducable.

Try also running workload inspectors, one of them might give you a hint or
two about the culprit:

top (immediate readings)
atop (excellent for historic readings and cummulative readings)
powertop (interrupt storms, weird use of kernel threads)
latencytop (system stalls)

See if you can track down the processes which are causing trouble. That
will help narrow down the search.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
lina

Sorry, I sent from phone. So just send to you before I realized. *Apologize.*
Begin forwarded message:

My Sid one after updating also get retard.

Lina

Do Hans and you use the nouveau driver? If so, I recommend to use the

Yes. It's nividia one.
proprietary or to downgrade X to stable and to use the nv driver. For

I don't know how to downgrade. *

I guess the only option to me was re-install. *
Do you know how can I avoid the slow reaction during the attempt to downgrade. gdm3 down?
the Linux audio community this driver is known as unusable.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 21:04 +0800, lina wrote:
> > My Sid one after updating also get retard.
> >
> > Lina
>
> Do Hans and you use the nouveau driver? If so, I recommend to use the
> proprietary or to downgrade X to stable and to use the nv driver. For
> the Linux audio community this driver is known as unusable.
I am using the nvidia driver (proprietary one). As I already said:
Acceleration is working.

Hans

Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011 schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > All tests I made, are reproducable.
>
> Try also running workload inspectors, one of them might give you a hint or
> two about the culprit:
>
> top (immediate readings)
> atop (excellent for historic readings and cummulative readings)
> powertop (interrupt storms, weird use of kernel threads)
> latencytop (system stalls)
>
> See if you can track down the processes which are causing trouble. That
> will help narrow down the search.
Henrique, I already mentioned it: It is the process "Xorg", which hangs.

Greets

Hans