Old 10-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Wolodja Wentland

Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 20:47 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011 schrieb Wolodja Wentland:
> > On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 13:23 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > > 7. I reverted to xserver-xorg version before the last one, but although
> > > it was a little bit better, it was not good as expected.
> >
> > Reverted from to which version? Which driver (exactly) are you using? How
> > is it installed?
> >
> I reverted from xserver-xorg 1.7.6 to 1.7.5.
>
> > Please also read:
> >
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166025
> >

> After I read this, I now reverted to xserver-xorg 1.7.3 and it is working
> again like a charm. However, this bugreport is very, very similar to mine.
>
> > Does it happen if you downgrade to Xorg 1.10 as well?
>
> I could not find Xorg 1.10, so still at 1.11.
<snip>
> Seems, I am the only one with this problem.

You are not -- A bunch of people reported similar problems with 1.11 in
#debian-next (irc.oftc.net) and it typically helped to downgrade to 1.10. I
was just curious if that works for you as well. You can find old versions on:

http://snapshot.debian.org/

I would also recommend to install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges. Good luck!
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA 36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC

Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Hi Wolodja,
> http://snapshot.debian.org/
>
> I would also recommend to install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges. Good
> luck!

I already did! And I tested a little bit more. First I downgraded everything
to xserver-xorg 1.7.3. Then step-by-step updated again.

I could find out, the proble is xserver-xorg-core 1.11! All other packages are
now at newest (testing) version, except xserver-xorg-core (and the relations
xserver-xorg-input-*).

I now set this package to hold, At the moment, everything is working fine. It
seems, that the bugreport you pointed me to, is really the reason for this
behaviour.

Being happy, to find a solution. Thank you very much for your help! Really
great!!!

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers
Hans

Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-10-01 18:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
> usually is a PITA.

Could you please stop this FUD, or at least back it up with something
useful (i.e. bug reports)?

> There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

Yes, and exactly with those you'll see the slowdown. See for instance

Sven

Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> Hi Wolodja,
>> * * http://snapshot.debian.org/
>>
>> I would also recommend to install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges. Good
>> luck!
>
> I already did! And I tested a little bit more. First I downgraded everything
> to xserver-xorg 1.7.3. Then step-by-step updated again.
>
> I could find out, the proble is xserver-xorg-core 1.11! All other packages are
> now at newest (testing) version, except xserver-xorg-core (and the relations
> xserver-xorg-input-*).
>
> I now set this package to hold, At the moment, everything is working fine. It
> seems, that the bugreport you pointed me to, is really the reason for this
> behaviour.

When I try to downgrade to the stable xserver-xorg-core (1.7.7), it
breaks far too many things (nvidia-glx, and a bunch of others), so I
abandoned that effort. But, what do you know, now I'm using Chrome
instead of Iceweasel, and everything now seems to be humming along.
So, at least in my case, it seems it was indeed a browser problem.

Patrick

Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 00:58 +0800, lina wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2011, at 0:16, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> >> Yes. It's nividia one.
> >>
> >> I don't know how to downgrade.
> >>
> >> I guess the only option to me was re-install.
> >>
> >> Do you know how can I avoid the slow reaction during the attempt to downgrade. gdm3 down?

> > Hi Lina
> >
> > since there's no [off-list] in the subject, I suspect this unintended
> > wasn't send to the list too, so I'll reply to the list now. Sorry, I
> > reply to the Digest, so when I push "reply to all", mailing lists are
> > just cc and I don't like to edit the recipient manually all the time.
> >
> > Downgrading is very tricky, don't try it, if you aren't experienced.
> >
> > It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
> > usually is a PITA. There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers. You
> > should try the package that fits to your graphics. Doing this it might
> > be, that you need to edit a xorg.conf manually, for a while you might be
> > unable to use GUIs, just text mode might work.
> >
> > So the most important question is, if you know how to handle such
> > potentially issues.
> >
> > If you should be experienced using Linux, then yes, downgrade X by using
> > text mode, aka gdm3, resp. X off.
>
> I feel it's necessary for me to do a practice of downgrading some package.
>
> I will check tomorrow possible.
>
> Can you provide something like tutor so I can follow.
>
> Thanks.

Then first backup your Debian .

Ensure that you've got
http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
for the repositories too.

With Synaptic you can choose packages from stable when you mark a
package and than push Ctrl+E, resp. by the menu
package > force version...

Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 22:39 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-10-01 18:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
> > usually is a PITA.
>
> Could you please stop this FUD, or at least back it up with something
> useful (i.e. bug reports)?

It isn't FUD. You might search all the Linux audio mailing list archives
yourself.

Just one example, Paul Davis is coder of Ardour and JACK:
http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2011/6/14/182183

Old 10-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 22:39 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2011-10-01 18:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > > It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
> > > usually is a PITA.
> >
> > Could you please stop this FUD, or at least back it up with something
> > useful (i.e. bug reports)?
>
> It isn't FUD. You might search all the Linux audio mailing list archives
> yourself.
>
> Just one example, Paul Davis is coder of Ardour and JACK:
> http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2011/6/14/182183
>

> > > There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers.
> >
> > Yes, and exactly with those you'll see the slowdown. See for instance
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166698
> >
> > Sven

PS: I keep the nv driver, since I know that the proprietary nvidia
driver can cause issues too. For testing the nv driver is dropped, this
is very annoying. Stupid to drop it. The most safe drive is the nv
driver.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
S Scharf

When I try to downgrade to the stable xserver-xorg-core (1.7.7), it

breaks far too many things (nvidia-glx, and a bunch of others), so I

abandoned that effort. *But, what do you know, now I'm using Chrome

instead of Iceweasel, and everything now seems to be humming along.

So, at least in my case, it seems it was indeed a browser problem.

Patrick

I also hit this problem. X runs a lot better when I turned off xinerama (lost the second display)

How do you downgrade X?

Stuart

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
AlbMilla

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 16:03, S Scharf <ss11223@gmail.com> wrote:

>> When I try to downgrade to the stable xserver-xorg-core (1.7.7), it
>> breaks far too many things (nvidia-glx, and a bunch of others), so I
>> abandoned that effort. *But, what do you know, now I'm using Chrome
>> instead of Iceweasel, and everything now seems to be humming along.
>> So, at least in my case, it seems it was indeed a browser problem.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> I also hit this problem. X runs a lot better when I turned off xinerama
> (lost the second display)
>
> How do you downgrade X?
>
> Stuart

Hi

After having the xorg problem I downgrade the X in this way.

1_ Add the next debian snapshot repository to the sources.list: deb
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20110924/ wheezy main
contrib non-free

2_ Update the repositories, I got the next error: Release file for
http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20110924/dists/wheezy/InRelease
is expired
To avoid it, I had to update the repositories with this
command: aptitude -o 'Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false' update

3_ Downgrade xserver-xorg-core telling the version: aptitude install
xserver-xorg-core=2:1.10.4-1. Aptitude will complaint because some
xserver-xorg-input and video will be broken. Tell aptitude to fix the
situation, after some fix proposals you will arrive to a proposal
where Aptitude will downgrade all the dependencies, accept it.

4_ Lock the downgrade, in my case: aptitude hold xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-vesa
xserver-xorg-video-vmware

Regards,

Alberto

Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
S Scharf

[...]

Thanks, although by the time I got this I had already picked through my apt log and found the
34 or so files I needed to revert and having those deb's handy just loaded them and pined the result.

The only remaining question is how to know when it is safe to allow xserver to uprade again?

Stuart