FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 00:03 +0800, lina wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2011, at 23:50, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 21:04 +0800, lina wrote:
> >> My Sid one after updating also get retard.
> >>
> >> Lina
> >
> > Do Hans and you use the nouveau driver? If so, I recommend to use the
>
> Yes. It's nividia one.
> > proprietary or to downgrade X to stable and to use the nv driver. For
>
> I don't know how to downgrade.
>
> I guess the only option to me was re-install.
>
> Do you know how can I avoid the slow reaction during the attempt to downgrade. gdm3 down?
>
> > the Linux audio community this driver is known as unusable.

Hi Lina

since there's no [off-list] in the subject, I suspect this unintended
wasn't send to the list too, so I'll reply to the list now. Sorry, I
reply to the Digest, so when I push "reply to all", mailing lists are
just cc and I don't like to edit the recipient manually all the time.

Downgrading is very tricky, don't try it, if you aren't experienced.

It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
usually is a PITA. There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers. You
should try the package that fits to your graphics. Doing this it might
be, that you need to edit a xorg.conf manually, for a while you might be
unable to use GUIs, just text mode might work.

So the most important question is, if you know how to handle such
potentially issues.

If you should be experienced using Linux, then yes, downgrade X by using
text mode, aka gdm3, resp. X off.

But please be patient, let's wait for some other opinions. I might be
completely wrong!

- Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1317485804.2605.37.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1317485804.2605.37.camel@debian
 
Old 10-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Camaleón
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:23:48 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> I remarked, that after the last update, my system is very very slow. But
> first of all, please let me explain, what is slow and what I could find
> out.
>
> 1. When iceweasel is started, process Xorg increases to 100 percent and
> about 2 minutes nothing is working any more. I jknow, this was discussed
> in another thread and is related to iceweasel plugin-container. But I
> doubt, this is the main reason, because there are other weird things
> happening.

(...)

This can be indeed pointing to the xorg package transition already
mentioned by "tv.debian"¹ in that past thread.

> 7. I reverted to xserver-xorg version before the last one, but although
> it was a little bit better, it was not good as expected.

Maybe there are still some packages that were not downgraded :-?

dpkg -l | grep xorg

¹http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/09/msg02190.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.10.01.16.25.25@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.10.01.16.25.25@gmail.com
 
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 PM
lina
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Oct 2, 2011, at 0:16, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 00:03 +0800, lina wrote:
>> On Oct 1, 2011, at 23:50, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 21:04 +0800, lina wrote:
>>>> My Sid one after updating also get retard.
>>>>
>>>> Lina
>>>
>>> Do Hans and you use the nouveau driver? If so, I recommend to use the
>>
>> Yes. It's nividia one.
>>> proprietary or to downgrade X to stable and to use the nv driver. For
>>
>> I don't know how to downgrade.
>>
>> I guess the only option to me was re-install.
>>
>> Do you know how can I avoid the slow reaction during the attempt to downgrade. gdm3 down?
>>
>>> the Linux audio community this driver is known as unusable.
>
> Hi Lina
>
> since there's no [off-list] in the subject, I suspect this unintended
> wasn't send to the list too, so I'll reply to the list now. Sorry, I
> reply to the Digest, so when I push "reply to all", mailing lists are
> just cc and I don't like to edit the recipient manually all the time.
>
> Downgrading is very tricky, don't try it, if you aren't experienced.
>
> It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
> usually is a PITA. There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers. You
> should try the package that fits to your graphics. Doing this it might
> be, that you need to edit a xorg.conf manually, for a while you might be
> unable to use GUIs, just text mode might work.
>
> So the most important question is, if you know how to handle such
> potentially issues.
>
> If you should be experienced using Linux, then yes, downgrade X by using
> text mode, aka gdm3, resp. X off.

I feel it's necessary for me to do a practice of downgrading some package.

I will check tomorrow possible.

Can you provide something like tutor so I can follow.

Thanks.
>
> But please be patient, let's wait for some other opinions. I might be
> completely wrong!
>
> - Ralf
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1317485804.2605.37.camel@debian
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: A15700DC-58A5-4487-859C-9D884DAA59D2@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/A15700DC-58A5-4487-859C-9D884DAA59D2@gmail.com
 
Old 10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 18:13 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Henrique, I already mentioned it: It is the process "Xorg", which hangs.

Hm? I locked some packages by Synaptic, not the package "xorg", but it
anyway currently won't be upgraded, regarding to the packages that are
locked/pinned.

I've got xorg 1:7.5+8 (stable) installed, but current version is 1:7.6+8
(testing).

I've got a complete Debian testing, excepted of some Xorg stuff from
Debian stable and some up to date self compiled audio stuff. Some
packages might be locked for stable, others might be locked later, so
that some packages anyway might be earlier versions of testing, however,
this are the packages that are locked/pinned now:

libgl1-mesa-dev 7.10.2-3
libgl1-mesa-dri 7.10.2-3
libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.2-3
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 275.09.07-1
libglu1-mesa 7.10.2-3
libglu-mesa-dev 7.10.2-3
libglx-nvidia-alternatives 275.09.07-1
libjpeg62 6b1-1
mesa-common-dev 7.10.2-3

My kernel is a self-build

root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 7 01:40:05 CEST 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

with threadirqs set

root@debian:~# cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep threadirqs
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39.1
root=UUID=950126ee-6ae7-41a8-b5ca-09838549c9c1 ro quiet threadirqs

The graphics is a 7200 GS aka
# hwinfo --gfx
[snip]
Model: "nVidia GeForce 7300 SE"
[snip]

Perhaps this information can be a little bit helpful, even if I don't
expect them to be a good help.

Sorry,

Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1317488708.2605.73.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1317488708.2605.73.camel@debian
 
Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 19:05 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 18:13 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Henrique, I already mentioned it: It is the process "Xorg", which hangs.
>
> Hm? I locked some packages by Synaptic, not the package "xorg", but it
> anyway currently won't be upgraded, regarding to the packages that are
> locked/pinned.
>
> I've got xorg 1:7.5+8 (stable) installed, but current version is 1:7.6+8
> (testing).
>
> I've got a complete Debian testing, excepted of some Xorg stuff from
> Debian stable and some up to date self compiled audio stuff. Some
> packages might be locked for stable, others might be locked later, so
> that some packages anyway might be earlier versions of testing, however,
> this are the packages that are locked/pinned now:
>
> libgl1-mesa-dev 7.10.2-3
> libgl1-mesa-dri 7.10.2-3
> libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.2-3
> libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 275.09.07-1
> libglu1-mesa 7.10.2-3
> libglu-mesa-dev 7.10.2-3
> libglx-nvidia-alternatives 275.09.07-1
> libjpeg62 6b1-1
> mesa-common-dev 7.10.2-3
>
> My kernel is a self-build
>
> root@debian:~# uname -a
> Linux debian 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 7 01:40:05 CEST 2011 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> with threadirqs set
>
> root@debian:~# cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep threadirqs
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39.1
> root=UUID=950126ee-6ae7-41a8-b5ca-09838549c9c1 ro quiet threadirqs
>
> The graphics is a 7200 GS aka
> # hwinfo --gfx
> [snip]
> Model: "nVidia GeForce 7300 SE"
> [snip]
>
> Perhaps this information can be a little bit helpful, even if I don't
> expect them to be a good help.
>
> Sorry,
>
> Ralf

PS: The used driver version currently is the proprietary 173.14.30. For
other Linux I used 270.x, but both are very good for my PCI express
card, just for some kernel-rt I need the xorg nv driver, that's why I
pinned the xorg related packages, to keep the xorg nv driver, if it
should be needed.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1317488956.2605.77.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1317488956.2605.77.camel@debian
 
Old 10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote, on 10/01/11 17:19:
<snip>
> As you see, everything is normal. I am running in mode 1440x900.
>
> Best regards
>
> Hans
>

Yes, I also see nothing unsusual. If you know that the X-server is eating
the cpu-time, try to see what it is doing with strace. As super user command

strace -p $(pidof X)

Maybe this can give a hint. But watch out, the output can get huge.
Maybe, redirect the output into a file.
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: j67hgj$uf4$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j67hgj$uf4$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > See if you can track down the processes which are causing trouble. That
> > will help narrow down the search.
> Henrique, I already mentioned it: It is the process "Xorg", which hangs.

Then you have to look no further than the GPU driver. It can cause
stalls elsewhere even if OpenGL looks like it is working fine under
glxgears.

It has been already stablished that the new Xorg is not fully compatible
with the current crop of non-free GPU drivers, and it is not
unconceivable that it would also have issues with the free ones that
still need to be tracked down and fixed.

If you use an OpenGL-accelerated desktop, try disabling it. Maybe it
will work around whatever is stalling...

Note: it _is_ possible that the problem is in the input drivers as well, but
that's less likely.

--
"One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
Henrique Holschuh


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111001171332.GC23355@khazad-dum.debian.net">http://lists.debian.org/20111001171332.GC23355@khazad-dum.debian.net
 
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 19:09 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 19:05 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 18:13 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > > Henrique, I already mentioned it: It is the process "Xorg", which hangs.
> >
> > Hm? I locked some packages by Synaptic, not the package "xorg", but it
> > anyway currently won't be upgraded, regarding to the packages that are
> > locked/pinned.
> >
> > I've got xorg 1:7.5+8 (stable) installed, but current version is 1:7.6+8
> > (testing).
> >
> > I've got a complete Debian testing, excepted of some Xorg stuff from
> > Debian stable and some up to date self compiled audio stuff. Some
> > packages might be locked for stable, others might be locked later, so
> > that some packages anyway might be earlier versions of testing, however,
> > this are the packages that are locked/pinned now:
> >
> > libgl1-mesa-dev 7.10.2-3
> > libgl1-mesa-dri 7.10.2-3
> > libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.2-3
> > libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 275.09.07-1
> > libglu1-mesa 7.10.2-3
> > libglu-mesa-dev 7.10.2-3
> > libglx-nvidia-alternatives 275.09.07-1
> > libjpeg62 6b1-1
> > mesa-common-dev 7.10.2-3
> >
> > My kernel is a self-build
> >
> > root@debian:~# uname -a
> > Linux debian 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 7 01:40:05 CEST 2011 x86_64
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > with threadirqs set
> >
> > root@debian:~# cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep threadirqs
> > linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39.1
> > root=UUID=950126ee-6ae7-41a8-b5ca-09838549c9c1 ro quiet threadirqs
> >
> > The graphics is a 7200 GS aka
> > # hwinfo --gfx
> > [snip]
> > Model: "nVidia GeForce 7300 SE"
> > [snip]
> >
> > Perhaps this information can be a little bit helpful, even if I don't
> > expect them to be a good help.
> >
> > Sorry,
> >
> > Ralf
>
> PS: The used driver version currently is the proprietary 173.14.30. For
> other Linux I used 270.x, but both are very good for my PCI express
> card, just for some kernel-rt I need the xorg nv driver, that's why I
> pinned the xorg related packages, to keep the xorg nv driver, if it
> should be needed.

For Suse I've got 195.x installed, it works perfectly too, I just need
to wait around 11 seconds, until GDM crashes and then I have to push
Ctrl+Alt+Double-Backspace to restart it again, after that everything is
ok. Suse's kernel is a self-build 2.6.31.6-rt19.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1317489490.2605.83.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1317489490.2605.83.camel@debian
 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Wolodja Wentland
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 13:23 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> 7. I reverted to xserver-xorg version before the last one, but although it was
> a little bit better, it was not good as expected.

Reverted from to which version? Which driver (exactly) are you using? How is
it installed?

Please also read:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166025
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642757

Does it happen if you downgrade to Xorg 1.10 as well?
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA 36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC
 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"
 
Default wheezy after update significant slow

Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011 schrieb Wolodja Wentland:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 13:23 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > 7. I reverted to xserver-xorg version before the last one, but although
> > it was a little bit better, it was not good as expected.
>
> Reverted from to which version? Which driver (exactly) are you using? How
> is it installed?
>
I reverted from xserver-xorg 1.7.6 to 1.7.5.

> Please also read:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166025
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642757
>

After I read this, I now reverted to xserver-xorg 1.7.3 and it is working
again like a charm. However, this bugreport is very, very similar to mine.

> Does it happen if you downgrade to Xorg 1.10 as well?

I could not find Xorg 1.10, so still at 1.11.

All the time the nvidia drivers were version 2.80, stock debian packages.

I will now stay at Xorg 1.7.3, maybe the 1.7.7 will be better. Seems, I am
the only one with this problem.

Thanks for the help, and I will update step by step and watch this during the
next time, so maybe I will find out something more, which package is the buggy
one.

Hopefully some other people might also be able to help, when they get the same
problem.

best regards

Hans


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201110012047.29278.hans.ullrich@loop.de">http://lists.debian.org/201110012047.29278.hans.ullrich@loop.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org