-   -   daft newbie questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/582317-daft-newbie-questions.html)

Richard Bown 10-01-2011 10:36 AM

daft newbie questions

Hi
I've taken refuge from Kernel 3.0 and gnome3.
can someone point me to where I can find libdvdcss and the w32/mpeg4
codecs.I can find reference to 32bit, but not amd64
And is firefox in a repo somewhere ?, ice weasle hasn't so opened as the
lock file is set, is that in .mozilla ???

Thanks

Richard

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 10-01-2011 11:29 AM

daft newbie questions

Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011 schrieb Richard Bown:
Hi Richard,
> Hi
> I've taken refuge from Kernel 3.0 and gnome3.
> can someone point me to where I can find libdvdcss and the w32/mpeg4
maybe you find the required things here.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

> codecs.I can find reference to 32bit, but not amd64
> And is firefox in a repo somewhere ?, ice weasle hasn't so opened as the
> lock file is set, is that in .mozilla ???
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

Good luck

Hans

Camaleón 10-01-2011 11:31 AM

daft newbie questions

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 11:36:35 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:

> I've taken refuge from Kernel 3.0 and gnome3.

I also have problems with kernel 3.0. It -somehow- breaks my wifi card,
still investigating... Wheeze's GNOME 3 is still manageable :-)

> can someone point me to where I can find libdvdcss and the w32/mpeg4
> codecs.I can find reference to 32bit, but not amd64

Both should be available in Debian Multimedia, cant't you see them there?

> And is firefox in a repo somewhere ?,

Firefox can be downloaded directly from Mozilla but...

> ice weasle hasn't so opened as the lock file is set, is that
> in .mozilla ???

...You mean you cannot open Icewasel? :-?

Try by killing any instance it could be running in the background and it
that still fails, try by renaming your "~/.mozilla" folder to create a
fresh new one.

BTW, the "lock" file is under "~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile.default]/"

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Andrew Reid 10-01-2011 11:37 AM

daft newbie questions

> Hi
> I've taken refuge from Kernel 3.0 and gnome3.
> can someone point me to where I can find libdvdcss and the w32/mpeg4
> codecs.I can find reference to 32bit, but not amd64

I get these from debian-multimedia.org.

> And is firefox in a repo somewhere ?, ice weasle hasn't so opened as the
> lock file is set, is that in .mozilla ???

You don't need a new browser, you just need to clear the lock
file. Look in your "profile", in $HOME/.mozilla/firefox. Delete
everything with "lock" in the name, but be careful, your bookmarks
and browser state are in here too. If you don't value your bookmarks,
you can just trash this whole directory and start over, but that's
rather extreme, of course.

For newer iceweasels, there are packages at mozilla.debian.net, although
a word of warning, I am currently having a minor issue with the flash
plug-in on iceweasel 6.0.2 on 64-bit "squeeze" -- occasional random crashes,
it's usable, but annoying.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Andrew Wood 10-01-2011 05:06 PM

daft newbie questions

I thought Wheezey was still on Gnome 2.30, not even 2.32?
Im hoping Gnome 3.4 or 3.6 will be polished enough to make it into Wheezey when it goes stable.
Ive been trying 3.0 out on Fedora and think its great ( Gnome 3 that is not Fedora ;) A few rough edges on the new System Prefs app but nothing that wont be polished up in time.

Sent from *iPhone

Camaleón 10-01-2011 05:33 PM

daft newbie questions

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:06:31 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> I thought Wheezey was still on Gnome 2.30, not even 2.32?

I guessed the OP was using an Evolution from another distribution.

> Im hoping Gnome 3.4 or 3.6 will be polished enough to make it into
> Wheezey when it goes stable.

GNOME 3 is already in wheezhy. What still is not there is the fearsome
gnome-shell }:-)

> Ive been trying 3.0 out on Fedora and think its great ( Gnome 3 that is
> not Fedora ;) A few rough edges on the new System Prefs app but nothing
> that wont be polished up in time.

If you like GNOME 3 + gnome-shell then you're fortunate.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Walter Hurry 10-01-2011 06:42 PM

daft newbie questions

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:33:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> If you like GNOME 3 + gnome-shell then you're fortunate.

I switched from GNOME to LXDE when Fedora 15 emerged with GNOME3, and
have never looked back. I was a happy enough GNOME 2 user, but with
hindsight wish I had moved sooner.

I now use LXDE on Debian Squeeze as well as Fedora 15/16, and am a very
happy camper indeed. Robust, flexible, easy to configure and lightning
fast.