Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default OT: ASUSTek O.C. Profile Utility B334

Sorry

this request isn't Debian related. The clock of my Debian's PC become
slow, when the PC is shut down, so I guess I need to replace the
battery. I don't get any battery warning, so I'm not sure.

I'm looking for the easiest way, to restore the Phoenix BIOS settings of
my ASUS M2A-VM2 HDMI mobo.

Using the "AUSTek O.C. Profile Utility B334" I saved the BIOS settings
to a file named "B30SEP11.CMO".

Then I edited "AMD Cool'n'Quit Function" from [Auto] to [Disabled] and
saved the settings to a file named "BCOOLOFF.CMO".

After this I edited the option to [auto], the original setting. I saved
it as "BCOOLON.CMO".

I expected that the files "B30SEP11.CMO" and "BCOOLOFF.CMO" differ,
while the files "B30SEP11.CMO" and "BCOOLON.CMO" shouldn't differ.

All files need 304 bytes.

This is the output of diff:

spinymouse@debian:/media/INTENSO$ diff B30SEP11.CMO BCOOLOFF.CMO
Binary files B30SEP11.CMO and BCOOLOFF.CMO differ
spinymouse@debian:/media/INTENSO$ diff B30SEP11.CMO BCOOLON.CMO
Binary files B30SEP11.CMO and BCOOLON.CMO differ

Why do the files B30SEP11.CMO and BCOOLON.CMO differ? They should have
saved the same settings.

Is it unsafe to backup the BIOS? Do I need to write down settings and to
restore them manually, after the battery is replaced? Could it be
something idiotic, like a saved time, that makes the files differ?

Has everybody ever restored a BIOS profile using "AUSTek O.C. Profile
Utility"?

Regards,

Ralf

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Lisi

On Friday 30 September 2011 21:33:56 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I'm looking for the easiest way, to restore the Phoenix BIOS settings of
> my ASUS M2A-VM2 HDMI mobo.

I've always done it slowly and methodically by hand. :-(

Incidentally, CMOS batteries are usually so cheap and easy to change that if
in doubt I try it anyway. I have found a most amazing collection of
heterogeneous symptoms have been "cured" this way.

Lisi

Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Lisi

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 22:40 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 30 September 2011 21:33:56 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I'm looking for the easiest way, to restore the Phoenix BIOS settings of
> > my ASUS M2A-VM2 HDMI mobo.
>
> I've always done it slowly and methodically by hand. :-(

I'll take a look, if I should have forgotten some special settings I
edited and PRN will write them down. Perhaps the backup to a file can
restore the settings correctly, or perhaps an internal saved profile of
the settings will be written to the flashrom.

> Incidentally, CMOS batteries are usually so cheap and easy to change that if
> in doubt I try it anyway. I have found a most amazing collection of
> heterogeneous symptoms have been "cured" this way.

The dealer where I usually order semiconductors sells two CR 2032
without solder tail, both 210 mAh.

One no-name costs 0.39 EUR and a Renata costs 0.95 EUR, so just the
minimum order value of 10.00 EUR and the shipping charges of 5.60 EUR
will force me to order more than I currently would like to order.

I wonder that a PC battery flats after 3 years, while for my synth
others currently last for more than 15 years, resp. a CR 2032 for a
synth sound cartridge flats after around 15 years, ugly, my dealer seems
not to have a one with the needed solder tail, since a dirty solution
might be needed.

Hm, I should search for the ALSA MIDI dump thingy, have forgotten the
command line command's name and then backup all my synth sounds, open
their casings and order batteries for them too.

Bye,

Ralf

OT for the OT: I found an option, to replay to mails received by the
"Digest" that's new for Evolution or that I simply missed before.

Quotation for me now looks ok, the message ID includes "lisi", while the
ID for the "Digist" doesn't.

There's one spot to bother, the original reply was to Lisi and cc to the
list.

Please, can anybody falsify or verify, that the format of this email is
correct?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 01 oct 11, 10:55:25, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Please, can anybody falsify or verify, that the format of this email is
> correct?

Looks good to me, totally forgot you reply to digests until you
mentioned it.

Regards,
Andrei