Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Chris Bannister

Default freeing up iceweasel .sqlite file size (was: regards the /)

[Sorry for the late post, but thought this might be useful.]

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 04:24:10PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:45:00 +0800, lina wrote:
> >> 356M ./.mozilla/firefox
> >> 356M ./.mozilla

(..)

> But I would carefully watch your "/.local/share/Trash" and your Firefox
> profile. Both folders look very big to me, you may have there "erasable"
> files (deleted and/or cached files you can safely remove).

Have a look in your .mozilla/firefox/*default/ directory and you will
notice some big *.sqlite files. They need to be "vacuumed" to free up
space.

Install sqlite (I think it needs to be sqlite3), for lenny:
root@fischer:~# apt-cache policy sqlite3
sqlite3:
Installed: 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1
Candidate: 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1
Version table:
*** 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1 0
200 http://backports.debian.org lenny-backports/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
3.5.9-6 0
500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org oldstable/main Packages

Not sure for squeeze, hopefully someone will check it out and correct
me.

Then cd into your ".mozilla/firefox/*default/" directory and issue:

for i in *.sqlite; do echo "VACUUM;" | sqlite3 $i ; done

I need to do this, because of:

root@fischer:~# df -h
/dev/hda1 1.3G 1.3G 20M 99% /
tmpfs 250M 0 250M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 680K 9.4M 7% /dev
tmpfs 250M 0 250M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda6 2.5G 2.3G 101M 96% /home

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Steven

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 06:03 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> [Sorry for the late post, but thought this might be useful.]

[...]
> Have a look in your .mozilla/firefox/*default/ directory and you will
> notice some big *.sqlite files. They need to be "vacuumed" to free up
> space.
>
> Install sqlite (I think it needs to be sqlite3), for lenny:
> root@fischer:~# apt-cache policy sqlite3
> sqlite3:
> Installed: 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1
> Candidate: 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1
> Version table:
> *** 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1 0
> 200 http://backports.debian.org lenny-backports/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 3.5.9-6 0
> 500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org oldstable/main Packages
>
> Not sure for squeeze, hopefully someone will check it out and correct
> me.

Yes, that is correct, also for Wheezy.

> Then cd into your ".mozilla/firefox/*default/" directory and issue:
>
> for i in *.sqlite; do echo "VACUUM;" | sqlite3 $i ; done

I have written a small script (3 lines) to keep track of that:
for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do ls -lh $f ; done
time for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do sqlite3 $f 'VACUUM;';
done
for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do ls -lh $f ; done

First and last lines show me the size of the files, while the middle one
will do the vacuuming, and time it. It takes about 14 to 16 seconds on
my system. I used to run this at startup, but now I just run it every
couple of weeks to keep Iceweasel running smoothly.
That one line might be a bit easier if you have multiple profiles in
Iceweasel than to cd into each one

> I need to do this, because of:

[...]

Old 10-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 08:42:48PM +0200, Steven wrote:
> I have written a small script (3 lines) to keep track of that:
> for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do ls -lh $f ; done
> time for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do sqlite3 $f 'VACUUM;';
> done
> for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do ls -lh $f ; done

Its very noisy, what about:

echo "Starting to Vacuum ... "
df -h
time for f in /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite;
do
echo "Vacuuming ... $f";
sqlite3 $f 'VACUUM;';
done