Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Sthu Deus

Default To create partitions from the 0-sector (was Partitions recovering on empty HDD)

Good time of the day.

How I can create first partition starting w/ 0-sector and not w/ 2048?

fdisk does not.

testdisk - i did not find such an option (but may You
know?).

gpart - just hangs w/ message 'Scan began...'

Thanks for Your time.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 30/09/11 16:24, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of the day.
>

> How I can create first partition starting w/ 0-sector and not w/ 2048?

I don't believe it's possible. Assuming that you don't want to boot from
that device (0x7C00 will be copied from another block device) then where
are you going to put the Partition Table information?

> fdisk does not.
>
> testdisk - i did not find such an option (but may You
> know?).

Testdisk is a tool for recovering damaged or overwritten partition
tables (also superblocks and files). Not for creating them.
If you are using Testdisk to do a recovery:-
; image the device first (and only work with the image where possible).
; use Testdisk logging and backups (to another disk) - unless you "know"
for certain which partition, filesystem, and/or superblock you want to
recover (some choices are "one-way" only).

> gpart - just hangs w/ message 'Scan began...'

Gpart is similar to Testdisk (except it "guesses") - it can take a long
time.... but, from distant memory, is not slower than Testdisk, just has
less functionality and no indicator of "guessing" progress.

> Thanks for Your time.

I'm confused as to why you're trying to create what seems to be an
impossible disk slicing scheme, and why you're using partition recovery
tools to do this.... perhaps you explained that in a previous thread? (I
see the reference, but couldn't quickly locate the thread).

Cheers