-   -   Permission Problem with xsane (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/581872-permission-problem-xsane.html)

Scott Ferguson 09-30-2011 01:25 AM

Permission Problem with xsane

On 30/09/11 06:20, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I can run xsane as root but not as user tom although tom is a member of
> the scanner group. What other group membership is required?
>
> Tom

Scanner group is correct.
Did you logout and back in again to activate membership?

You shouldn't require any other group memberships to use the scanner
(but I could be wrong, and don't know what scanner you're trying to use)....

typical group memberships:-
scott(self) cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev mlocate powerdev
vboxusers debian-tor bluetooth scanner

Cheers

Wim M 09-30-2011 01:43 PM

On 2011-09-29, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> I can run xsane as root but not as user tom although tom is a member of
> the scanner group. What other group membership is required?
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,
it might be neccessary to manipulate the udev rules depending on your
scanner. The file is "/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules". For example,
this is what Brother recommends:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1c.html#d6
--
Wim.