Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Lisi

Default openjdk-7-jre and Iceweasel

I am trying, without success, to run:

http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_kurose_network_2/applets/dns/dns.html

The problem is the applet. The Java I have on my Lenny system is too old.
Hardly surprising. So I switched to Wheezy. Still not OK. I checked: I
only had openjdk-6-jre. So I installed openjdk-7-jre and its dependencies.
Still no joy. I imagine that iceweasel is not using it at all, or not in the
way that jre 7 needs. What can I do to run this applet? This is a course in
OSS, so it shouldn't require anything proprietary.

Thanks
Lisi

Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Dejan Ribič

The problem is the applet. The Java I have on my Lenny system is too old.
Hardly surprising. So I switched to Wheezy. Still not OK. I checked: I
only had openjdk-6-jre. So I installed openjdk-7-jre and its dependencies.
Still no joy. I imagine that iceweasel is not using it at all, or not in the
way that jre 7 needs. What can I do to run this applet? This is a course in
OSS, so it shouldn't require anything proprietary.

Thanks
Lisi

Hi,

I am not sure this works with openjdk-7 but try to install
icedtea-plugin.

Cheers,

Dejan

Archive: 4E8496EB.2010104@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E8496EB.2010104@gmail.com

Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 29 September 2011 17:03:55 Dejan Ribič wrote:
> Dne 29.9.2011 17:54, piše Lisi:
> > I am trying, without success, to run:
> >
> > http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_kurose_network_2/applets/dns/dns.html
> >
> > The problem is the applet. The Java I have on my Lenny system is too
> > old. Hardly surprising. So I switched to Wheezy. Still not OK. I
> > checked: I only had openjdk-6-jre. So I installed openjdk-7-jre and its
> > dependencies. Still no joy. I imagine that iceweasel is not using it at
> > all, or not in the way that jre 7 needs. What can I do to run this
> > applet? This is a course in OSS, so it shouldn't require anything
> > proprietary.
> >

> I am not sure this works with openjdk-7 but try to install
> icedtea-plugin.

Thank you to all three of you. I finally manged to install icedtea-plugin
from Sid, but now things are even worse! Before, I got a box with a message
that I needed to install java. Now I just have a box-shaped light grey area
with nothing else visible. :-(

Any clues? I am beginning to think that I may have to install another distro
just for this. :-(

But I'll try Squeeze first.

Sorry - I have not got you any further forward, Gilbert.

Thanks again,
Lisi

Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 30/09/11 01:54, Lisi wrote:
> I am trying, without success, to run:
>
> http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_kurose_network_2/applets/dns/dns.html
>
> The problem is the applet. The Java I have on my Lenny system is too old.
> Hardly surprising. So I switched to Wheezy. Still not OK. I checked: I
> only had openjdk-6-jre. So I installed openjdk-7-jre and its dependencies.
> Still no joy. I imagine that iceweasel is not using it at all, or not in the
> way that jre 7 needs. What can I do to run this applet? This is a course in
> OSS, so it shouldn't require anything proprietary.
>
> Thanks
> Lisi

Despite your optimistic expectations - it works with Oracle's JDK
6.0_27. I tried with openjdk-7-jre but the browser claimed it needed a
plugin... yet update-alternatives looked correct. I haven't tried with
icedtea.

Cheers

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Jrg-Volker Peetz

At the moment, the icedtea-plugin package has a little problem (see its bugs
#642734 and #642598). A workaround is to modify the file
/etc/java-6-openjdk/security/java.policy :

In this file replace:
------
grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/ext/*" {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};
grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-common/ext/*" {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};
------
by this policy:
------
grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/ext/*" {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};
grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-common/jre/lib/ext/*" {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};
------

For me (with openjdk-6-jre), it works with the "official" test page
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml .
--
Best regards,
Jrg-Volker.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Gilbert Sullivan

Thank you to all three of you. I finally manged to install icedtea-plugin
from Sid, but now things are even worse! Before, I got a box with a message
that I needed to install java. Now I just have a box-shaped light grey area
with nothing else visible. :-(

Any clues? I am beginning to think that I may have to install another distro
just for this. :-(

But I'll try Squeeze first.

Sorry - I have not got you any further forward, Gilbert.
There have been many people trying to help me move forward for many
years. Very few have succeeded in moving more than a few mm at a time.

;-)

I'm going to give an adaptation of Torstein's suggestion a shot to see
how well it works with testing/unstable. If I learn anything I'll be
back. In the meantime, I watch with interest.

Best regards,
Gilbert

Archive: 4E85A08E.2060009@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E85A08E.2060009@comcast.net

Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Walter Hurry

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:28:32 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Thursday 29 September 2011 17:03:55 Dejan Ribič wrote:
>> Dne 29.9.2011 17:54, piše Lisi:
>> > I am trying, without success, to run:
>> >
>> > http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_kurose_network_2/applets/dns/
dns.html

>> > The problem is the applet. The Java I have on my Lenny system is
>> > too old. Hardly surprising. So I switched to Wheezy. Still not OK.
>> > I checked: I only had openjdk-6-jre. So I installed openjdk-7-jre
>> > and its dependencies. Still no joy. I imagine that iceweasel is not
>> > using it at all, or not in the way that jre 7 needs. What can I do
>> > to run this applet? This is a course in OSS, so it shouldn't require
>> > anything proprietary.
>> >

>> I am not sure this works with openjdk-7 but try to install
>> icedtea-plugin.
>
> Thank you to all three of you. I finally manged to install
> icedtea-plugin from Sid, but now things are even worse! Before, I got a
> box with a message that I needed to install java. Now I just have a
> box-shaped light grey area with nothing else visible. :-(
>
> Any clues? I am beginning to think that I may have to install another
> distro just for this. :-(
>
> But I'll try Squeeze first.
>
> Sorry - I have not got you any further forward, Gilbert.
>
> Thanks again,
> Lisi

I have a stock Squeeze installation, and the page you referenced works
for me. Here is my setup:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.9) (6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1)
$ dpkg -l | grep icedtea
ii icedtea6-plugin 6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1
web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
$ firefox --version
Mozilla Iceweasel 3.5.16, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Lisi

On Friday 30 September 2011 12:00:23 Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:28:32 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> dns.html

> >> I am not sure this works with openjdk-7 but try to install
> >> icedtea-plugin.
> >
> > Thank you to all three of you. I finally manged to install
> > icedtea-plugin from Sid, but now things are even worse! Before, I got a
> > box with a message that I needed to install java. Now I just have a
> > box-shaped light grey area with nothing else visible. :-(
> >
> > Any clues? I am beginning to think that I may have to install another
> > distro just for this. :-(
> >
> > But I'll try Squeeze first.
> >
> > Sorry - I have not got you any further forward, Gilbert.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Lisi
>
> I have a stock Squeeze installation, and the page you referenced works
> for me. Here is my setup:
>
> $ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_18"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.9) (6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1)
> $ dpkg -l | grep icedtea
> ii icedtea6-plugin 6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1
> web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
> $ firefox --version
> Mozilla Iceweasel 3.5.16, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks very much Harry! I haven't currently got a working Squeeze. That will
be remedied this afternoon, and then I'll try and copy your set-up. I want
to do that anyway, this just gives me a reason why it can move up the
priority list!

Of course, even if it works it won't help you Gilbert. Sorry about that!

Lisi

Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Lisi

On Friday 30 September 2011 09:30:35 Jrg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> At the moment, the icedtea-plugin package has a little problem (see its
> bugs #642734 and #642598). A workaround is to modify the file
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/security/java.policy :
>
> In this file replace:
> ------
> grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/ext/*" {
> permission java.security.AllPermission;
> };
> grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-common/ext/*" {
> permission java.security.AllPermission;
> };
> ------
> by this policy:
> ------
> grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/ext/*" {
> permission java.security.AllPermission;
> };
> grant codeBase "file:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-common/jre/lib/ext/*" {
> permission java.security.AllPermission;
> };
> ------
>
> For me (with openjdk-6-jre), it works with the "official" test page
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml .
> --
> Best regards,
> Jrg-Volker.

Thank you for this. I appreciate the help.

In the end I tried it before scrapping everything and starting again with
Trinity. It didn't work, but by then I had tried so many different things
that I think that my poor installation was tied in knots and didn't know
whether it was coming or going.

Lisi

Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Lisi

On Friday 30 September 2011 08:46:48 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 30/09/11 01:54, Lisi wrote:
> > I am trying, without success, to run:
> >
> > http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_kurose_network_2/applets/dns/dns.html
> >
> > The problem is the applet. The Java I have on my Lenny system is too
> > old. Hardly surprising. So I switched to Wheezy. Still not OK. I
> > checked: I only had openjdk-6-jre. So I installed openjdk-7-jre and its
> > dependencies. Still no joy. I imagine that iceweasel is not using it at
> > all, or not in the way that jre 7 needs. What can I do to run this
> > applet? This is a course in OSS, so it shouldn't require anything
> > proprietary.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Lisi
>
> Despite your optimistic expectations - it works with Oracle's JDK
> 6.0_27. I tried with openjdk-7-jre but the browser claimed it needed a
> plugin... yet update-alternatives looked correct. I haven't tried with
> icedtea.

Thank you for this. I did try this, but as I have said elsewhere, I had in
the end tried so many different things that they must all have been tripping
over each other, and it didn't work.

Lisi