-   -   System slowdown - plugin-container responsible? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/581647-system-slowdown-plugin-container-responsible.html)

Patrick Wiseman 09-29-2011 02:45 PM

System slowdown - plugin-container responsible?

Hello, fellow Debianists:

As of yesterday, my testing (current) system has slowed down a whole
lot. I thought it was just the 'net, but that doesn't seem to be the
case. top shows something called plugin-containe (I assume it's
actually 'container', but the column's too small for the last letter)
using anything from 15-20 %CPU, and so I'm thinking it's the culprit.
I could just kill it and see what else breaks :) But does anyone know
who or what owns it, or how I can find out?

Thanks
Patrick

Brian 09-29-2011 02:56 PM

On Thu 29 Sep 2011 at 10:45:03 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Hello, fellow Debianists:
>
> As of yesterday, my testing (current) system has slowed down a whole
> lot. I thought it was just the 'net, but that doesn't seem to be the
> case. top shows something called plugin-containe (I assume it's
> actually 'container', but the column's too small for the last letter)
> using anything from 15-20 %CPU, and so I'm thinking it's the culprit.
> I could just kill it and see what else breaks :) But does anyone know
> who or what owns it, or how I can find out?

It's an Iceweasel thing. Do a search on 'firefox' and 'plugin-container'.
It's behaviour may be controlled from about:config.

Camaleón 09-29-2011 03:57 PM

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:45:03 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> As of yesterday, my testing (current) system has slowed down a whole
> lot. I thought it was just the 'net, but that doesn't seem to be the
> case. top shows something called plugin-containe (I assume it's
> actually 'container', but the column's too small for the last letter)
> using anything from 15-20 %CPU, and so I'm thinking it's the culprit. I
> could just kill it and see what else breaks :) But does anyone know who
> or what owns it, or how I can find out?

Yes, as Brian says is the wrapper for mozilla based plugins:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/What%20is%20plugin-container

Killing firefox/icewasel should stop it or just exiting from a web page
that loads the flash player plugin should also reduce the amount of cpu
cycles that uses.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"tv.debian@googlemail.com" 09-29-2011 05:09 PM

System slowdown - plugin-container responsible?

> 29/09/2011 17:57, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:45:03 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>
>> As of yesterday, my testing (current) system has slowed down a whole
>> lot. I thought it was just the 'net, but that doesn't seem to be the
>> case. top shows something called plugin-containe (I assume it's
>> actually 'container', but the column's too small for the last letter)
>> using anything from 15-20 %CPU, and so I'm thinking it's the culprit. I
>> could just kill it and see what else breaks :) But does anyone know who
>> or what owns it, or how I can find out?
>
> Yes, as Brian says is the wrapper for mozilla based plugins:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/What%20is%20plugin-container
>
> Killing firefox/icewasel should stop it or just exiting from a web page
> that loads the flash player plugin should also reduce the amount of cpu
> cycles that uses.
>
> Greetings,

Hi, if shutting down your browser doesn't change anything, you are
probably hit by the xorg transition. Newer xorg doesn't play nice with
some video drivers (read closed source). I had to downgrade xorg to get
a usable system again... Try to launch glxgears (from package
mesa-utils), if it slows down to only a few fps from time to time
without any huge resources usage peak from any other process, then this
is probably the problem.

Hope it helps.

Patrick Wiseman 09-29-2011 05:41 PM

System slowdown - plugin-container responsible?

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
<tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 29/09/2011 17:57, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:45:03 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>
>>> As of yesterday, my testing (current) system has slowed down a whole
>>> lot. *I thought it was just the 'net, but that doesn't seem to be the
>>> case. *top shows something called plugin-containe (I assume it's
>>> actually 'container', but the column's too small for the last letter)
>>> using anything from 15-20 %CPU, and so I'm thinking it's the culprit. I
>>> could just kill it and see what else breaks :) *But does anyone know who
>>> or what owns it, or how I can find out?
>>
>> Yes, as Brian says is the wrapper for mozilla based plugins:
>>
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/What%20is%20plugin-container
>>
>> Killing firefox/icewasel should stop it or just exiting from a web page
>> that loads the flash player plugin should also reduce the amount of cpu
>> cycles that uses.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> Hi, if shutting down your browser doesn't change anything, you are
> probably hit by the xorg transition. Newer xorg doesn't play nice with
> some video drivers (read closed source). I had to downgrade xorg to get
> a usable system again... Try to launch glxgears (from package
> mesa-utils), if it slows down to only a few fps from time to time
> without any huge resources usage peak from any other process, then this
> is probably the problem.
>
> Hope it helps.

I think it's a browser problem. I simply disabled plugin-container
(by setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to 'false' in about:config) and
restarted Iceweasel. Things are now _less_ sluggish, although not as
fast as I might expect. Now, instead of plugin-container using up 20%
CPU, firefox-bin is using about 30% MEM. I'm thinking of making
Chrome my default browser!

Thanks all for the input.
Patrick

Brian 09-29-2011 06:07 PM

On Thu 29 Sep 2011 at 13:41:29 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> I think it's a browser problem. I simply disabled plugin-container
> (by setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to 'false' in about:config) and
> restarted Iceweasel. Things are now _less_ sluggish, although not as
> fast as I might expect. Now, instead of plugin-container using up 20%
> CPU, firefox-bin is using about 30% MEM. I'm thinking of making
> Chrome my default browser!

30% memory would indicate you have a quite a few tabs open. Mine on
Lenny is about that with approximately 70 tabs going. CPU is in the
region of 8-10%. Flash adverts can consume a fair bit of CPU so I use
the flashblock extension (testing and unstable has it) to calm things
down.