Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

Default Updated Kernel-building Web Page Available

On 09/29/2011 07:09 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:

Based on new stuff that I've learned over the last month and a half,
much of which has been learned from Camaleón's recent thread about
reducing kernel compilation time, I have published a revised version
of my kernel-building web page

http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

The top entry in the Maintenance Log section briefly summarizes the
changes. If anyone finds any errors in it, I'd appreciate being notified.
I am grateful for the many valuable tips that I've learned from others
here on the debian-user mailing list. Together, we know it all!

Note: if the top entry in the Maintenance Log section doesn't show a
date of September 29, 2011, you're looking at an older cached version
of the page. Reload the page (F5 in iceweasel) to see the most
recent version of the page.

I'm looking forward to working through a couple of build scenarios using
that page as a guide. Your efforts at this and on this list are much
appreciated.

Archive: 4E845E2B.2080506@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E845E2B.2080506@comcast.net

Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:01:47 -0400 (EDT), Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> I'm looking forward to working through a couple of build scenarios
> using that page as a guide. Your efforts at this and on this list
> are much appreciated.

Thanks, Gilbert. I updated the page again today to fix some typos
and to add some stuff which I forgot. Let me know how it goes.
My goal is to make it a thorough and comprehensive tutorial for
building custom kernels in Debian and for integrating custom kernels
with the regular maintenance and upkeep of a Debian system.
I also want to mention as many of the common "gotchas" as possible,
and show how to avoid them. Unfortunately, those goals appear
to conflict with brevity. ;-)

Although the traditional make-kpkg way is the main focus, I desire
to include enough information on the newer "make deb-pkg" way to
make the page useful to "make deb-pkg" users too. It is covered
in the "Alternatives" section and is mentioned here and there
throughout the document.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

I'm looking forward to working through a couple of build scenarios
using that page as a guide. Your efforts at this and on this list
are much appreciated.

Thanks, Gilbert. I updated the page again today to fix some typos
and to add some stuff which I forgot. Let me know how it goes.

I hope I get to tackle it soon. I learned last evening that
*She-who-must-be-obeyed* has just volunteered me for a community
function that may keep me fully occupied until next year. I don't think
she understood just how all-consuming this was going to be, but we
covered 300 miles today just to get an idea of the scope of the project.
Now she's wishing she hadn't been so public-spirited on my behalf! Ha!

My goal is to make it a thorough and comprehensive tutorial for
building custom kernels in Debian and for integrating custom kernels
with the regular maintenance and upkeep of a Debian system.
I also want to mention as many of the common "gotchas" as possible,
and show how to avoid them. Unfortunately, those goals appear
to conflict with brevity. ;-)

Although the traditional make-kpkg way is the main focus, I desire
to include enough information on the newer "make deb-pkg" way to
make the page useful to "make deb-pkg" users too. It is covered
in the "Alternatives" section and is mentioned here and there
throughout the document.

It really looks like you've done a heck of a job on it, too. I had found
your page before and had wanted to give the process a whirl. When I
first heard about the updates I was really eager to try my tyro hand at
this. Now I'm wondering just when I'll get the chance to nonchalantly
drop comments about "my latest kernel build" amongst my fellow ancients
at the community center. I hope it doesn't have to await my final plunge
into retirement!

I will most certainly let you know how it goes, when I do get around to
it. I admire the spirit of people who work to provide how-to guides to
help the uninitiated. I've tried to do the same in my so-called fields
of expertise and found that teaching was a terrific way to attain a
deeper understanding of the subject matter for myself.

Best regards,
Gilbert