Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Santiago Castillo Oli

Default Ethernet alias fails to brought up sometimes when booting up

Hi all!

I have a debian squeeze server with 2 NICs.
There are several IPs assigned to one of the nic.

All the addresses are static.

After boot, the aliased interfaces are up sometimes, but sometimes not.

This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:

------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
# gateway 192.168.1.1
mtu 1500

# Computer room network
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.33.62
netmask 255.255.255.192

# WiFi Network
auto eth1:1
iface eth1:1 inet static
address 192.168.33.126
netmask 255.255.255.192

# Printers Network
auto eth1:2
iface eth1:2 inet static
address 192.168.33.246
netmask 255.255.255.248

# Application server Network
auto eth1:3
iface eth1:3 inet static
address 192.168.33.254
netmask 255.255.255.248

# DSL-Internet access
auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8------x8

any ideas?

Thank you and regargs

Archive: 4E8449C3.2070806@aragon.es">http://lists.debian.org/4E8449C3.2070806@aragon.es

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:34:43 +0200, Santiago Castillo Oli wrote:

> I have a debian squeeze server with 2 NICs. There are several IPs
> assigned to one of the nic.
>
> All the addresses are static.
>
> After boot, the aliased interfaces are up sometimes, but sometimes not.

(...)

Have you verified that with "ifconfig"? What's the output of that
command? Are only the virtual addresses which fail to go up? How about
manually bringing up them (e.g., "ifconfig eth1:1 up"), it succeeds?

> This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:

(...)

Mmm, at a first glance the file looks quite right :-?

Have you checked for any typos or hidden characters on the file?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Bob Proulx

Santiago Castillo Oli wrote:
> After boot, the aliased interfaces are up sometimes, but sometimes not.
>
> This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:

You don't have a gateway at all? None? Since I don't believe it I am
going to ignore that suggest having one. But of course if you really
are on an isolated lan segment then you really won't have a gateway.

Do you *really* need to set the mtu to the default 1500? Unless you
need to change it I recommend not adding that setting.

You are using a style of configuration that I believe to have been
deprecated. In the old days you would use ifconfig to create eth1:1
but these days that is deprecated. Now you assign a label eth1:1 to
an existing interface.

Instead of your previous I recommend using the up and down commands to
add alias labels to your device when the device comes up and to remove
them when the device goes down. Review this following config file
modification of your file and then give this style a try and I think
it will work much better for you.

Note that /26 is the same as /255.255.255.192 but more compact. And
/29 is the same as /255.255.255.248 and so forth.

Bob

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

# Computer room network
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.33.62
netmask 255.255.255.192
# WiFi Network
up ip addr add 192.168.33.126/26 dev eth1 label eth1:1
down ip addr del 192.168.33.126/26 dev eth1 label eth1:1
# Printers Network
up ip addr add 192.168.33.246/29 dev eth1 label eth1:2
down ip addr add 192.168.33.246/29 dev eth1 label eth1:2
# Application server Network
up ip addr add 192.168.33.254/29 dev eth1 label eth1:3
down ip addr add 192.168.33.254/29 dev eth1 label eth1:3

Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Santiago Castillo Oli

Camaleón wrote:

Have you verified that with "ifconfig"? What's the output of that
command? Are only the virtual addresses which fail to go up? How about
manually bringing up them (e.g., "ifconfig eth1:1 up"), it succeeds?

If I manually bring up, it works. It also works with "ifup -a". Only
fails, sometimes, lets say 1 of every 10 boots, when booting up the machine.

This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:

Mmm, at a first glance the file looks quite right :-?

Have you checked for any typos or hidden characters on the file?

There were a "á" character in a comment inside the file. I have
remove it, but I think that if that was the problem, it would happen
always, not sometimes...

Thanks and regards

Archive: 4E8C2151.6020409@aragon.es">http://lists.debian.org/4E8C2151.6020409@aragon.es

Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Santiago Castillo Oli

Bob Proulx write:

This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:

You don't have a gateway at all? None? Since I don't believe it I am
going to ignore that suggest having one. But of course if you really
are on an isolated lan segment then you really won't have a gateway.

The gateway is set by ppp when dsl-provider interface brought up.

Do you *really* need to set the mtu to the default 1500? Unless you
need to change it I recommend not adding that setting.

You are right. The commented gateway line and this mtu line, with other
value, where used some time ago when the ADSL router established the
pppoe connection with the ISP, and i did connect to the Internet thorugh
eth0. Now the pppoe connection is managed by the server itself, the
gateway line is commented and the mtu is not longer necesary. I will
remove it.

You are using a style of configuration that I believe to have been
deprecated.

I didn't know that. I always used this style and is used in
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration, but it seems i'm getting
old....

I will try the new style and see if it works.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Archive: 4E8C2B46.5090006@aragon.es">http://lists.debian.org/4E8C2B46.5090006@aragon.es

Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:20:17 +0200, Santiago Castillo Oli wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Have you verified that with "ifconfig"? What's the output of that
>> command? Are only the virtual addresses which fail to go up? How about
>> manually bringing up them (e.g., "ifconfig eth1:1 up"), it succeeds?
>
> If I manually bring up, it works. It also works with "ifup -a". Only
> fails, sometimes, lets say 1 of every 10 boots, when booting up the
> machine.

That's even weird :-?

I wonder what can prevent the aliased interfaces to be up when the system
starts... have you checked the boot logs?

>>> This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:
>
>> Mmm, at a first glance the file looks quite right :-?
>>
>> Have you checked for any typos or hidden characters on the file?
>
> There were a "á" character in a comment inside the file. I have
> remove it, but I think that if that was the problem, it would happen
> always, not sometimes...

Yep, indeed... if it were something wrong at "/etc/network/interfaces"
the aliased addresses should fail always regardless the system state
(when booting and also afterwards).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón