Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 AM

Default Recommendations for ripping problem discs and organizing mp3's by genre?

A few years ago I digitized my LP collection onto cdroms, and only now am
I getting around to converting them to mp3's. I'm talking hundreds of
homemade discs, many with two different albums on each disc.

I thought I would ask for some advice on ripping and organizing. I am
running Wheezy with Gnome (and CLI sometimes)

Currently I am using GRIP. I like it, it works fine, but it doesn't deal
well with problem discs. For instance, it tries very hard to resolve a
problem reading the disc, but sometimes gets hung and doesn't allow
aborting or skipping a bad track during ripping. Any suggestions on how to
best deal with problems discs and which software to use? Is there a howto
or tutorial on how to deal with problem discs?

Secondly, I would like to be able to create playlists based on genre, to
then use that playlist in random mode with a console program similar to
mpg123. Suggestions on how to do that? Would it be as simple as creating
folder trees for each genre then using a script to generate a playlist? or
do you know of a easier way?

There are so many programs to choose from I just thought I'd get a few
recommendations from the list. Some of the programs I've looked at seem
too feature-rich for my needs. I prefer simple-but-robust programs and
using built-in CLI commands when possible.

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 AM
"Chris"

I did much the same but with my CD collection.
I used Sound Juicer to rip (you can rip to many formats including custom
bitrates also).
As to the hierarchy you mentioned, again using Sound Juicer, you can set the
destination, the sort order, the sort parms (IE artist, album, etc).
This would create the directories for you based on your choices.

Sound Juicer is GUI and easy to use. Of course, there are many other options
out there to use - I just mentioned what I used and was happy with.

[...]

Archive:
http://lists.debian.org/245a8c30a277a83129e417c48d6d5e89.squirrel@webmail. st
rucktower.com

Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Sharon Kimble

On 29 September 2011 04:12, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> I did much the same but with my CD collection.
> I used Sound Juicer to rip (you can rip to many formats including custom
> bitrates also).
> As to the hierarchy you mentioned, again using Sound Juicer, you can set the
> destination, the sort order, the sort parms (IE artist, album, etc).
> This would create the directories for you based on your choices.
>
> Sound Juicer is GUI and easy to use. Of course, there are many other options
> out there to use - I just mentioned what I used and was happy with.

This sounds interesting, did you get it from the source site or from
one of the repos please? If from a repo, will it work with squeeze and
what was it called please?

Thanks
Sharon.

A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
efever http://www.efever.blogspot.com/
Debian 6.0.2, KDE 4.4.5, LibreOffice 3.4.3
Registered Linux user 334501

Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 AM
"Chris"

Try apt-get install sound-juicer

Sent from my HTC.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Sharon Kimble

On 29 September 2011 07:28, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> Try apt-get install sound-juicer

Thanks for this, i'm downloading it now.

Sharon

Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM

Hi Chris-

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried Sound-Juicer, but I cannot see anyway
to create a hierarchy based on genre. Am I not seeing an option or
preference setting?

Thanks,
Keith