Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default OT: laptop choice

For a friend of mine, I am going to by a laptop/ In my country (france), it is
impossible to get computer without $W exccept if you get acer.So she want to
buy this one:
eMachines G443-E352G32Mn - Ordinateur Portable 17,3' - AMD E-350 (1,6 GHz) -
320 Go - RAM 2048 Mo - AMD Radeon HD 6310 - Linpus Linux
with is equiped with a linpus, which I am going to replace by a debian.
Since the last acer I bought is still over heating (I am using it right now) I
would kike to have retourns on the above.

Thierry

Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Роман Новиков

For a friend of mine, I am going to by a laptop/ In my country (france), it is

impossible to get computer without *$W exccept if you get acer.So she want to

buy *this one:

eMachines G443-E352G32Mn - Ordinateur Portable 17,3' - AMD E-350 (1,6 GHz) -

320 Go - RAM 2048 Mo - AMD Radeon HD 6310 - Linpus Linux

with is equiped with a linpus, which I am going to replace by a debian.

Since the last acer I bought is still over heating (I am using it right now) I

would kike to have retourns on the above.

for example i am going to buy something from here

http://www.tekmote.nl/epages/61504599.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61504599/Categories/%22Lemote%20linux%20PC%20and%20Linux%20laptops%22

rms style

roman

Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM
mforestier

Bonjour a toutes et tous!
C'est mon premier message sur cette liste!
C'est juste pour dire que je possede ce netbook: lemote-yeeloong 8101B que j'ai installe gNewSense, debian versions stable, testing et unstable dessus, que tout fonctionne tres bien, libre,... Et me tiens a disposition pour tout reseignement dessus!
En france on peut passer par BearsTech http://www.bearstech.com/ a Paris: ils sont tres sympathiques, competents, privilegient tout ce qui est libre: j'y ai acquis egalement le Ben Nano-Note et le Free-Runner-OpenMoko! ;-)
D'autres infos sur le site Hackable-Devices: http://www.hackable-devices.org/
Je viens tout juste de commencer une page web sur ces produits mais j'ai beaucoup de boulot...
Bien a vous!

--
http://mforestier.free.fr/

Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Nuno Magalhes

2011/9/29 mforestier <mforestier@free.fr>:
> Bonjour a toutes et tous!
> C'est mon premier message sur cette liste!

Hopefully it's also the last in french; there's another list for that:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-french/

As for laptops, i favour Toshiba (just bought one but keeping Windows
for the moment) and Asus.
I do not recommend Acer (or eMachines, it's Acer anyway). Crappy hardware.
Can't really comment on the others, some say nice things about
Thinkpads, others say they're not built as they used to be.

HTH,
Nuno

--
"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 29 September 2011 10:05:49 Nuno Magalhes wrote:
> some say nice things about
> Thinkpads, others say they're not built as they used to be.

Those 2 statements are not necessarily contradictory. Thinkpads may still be
good, whilst not being as good as they used to be. (I rather get the
impresssion that that is the case.)

Lisi

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
mforestier

I'm very sorry for my first message, in french! :-(
So, I try traduce because it serves presentation too...
I answered about netbook Lemote:
It was just to say I have this netbook: lemote-yeeloong 8101B.
I'm install gNewSense, debian versions stable, testing and unstable on different partitions.
All is functionnal! And free!,...
I'm dispo about all these characteritics!
In France, we can buy to BearsTech http://www.bearstech.com/ ,in Paris: they are very serious and free activists: they promote too the Ben_Nano-Note and the free-phone Free-Runner-OpenMoko! Products I've too! ;-)
More info on the Hackable-Devices' site: http://www.hackable-devices.org/
I'm beginning a web page (in french ;-) but it's just an introduction today...
Thanks to you... and I hope my english is not too poor...
--
http://mforestier.free.fr/

Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Роман Новиков

I'm very sorry for my first message, in french! :-(

So, I try traduce because it serves presentation too...

I answered about netbook Lemote:

It was just to say I have this netbook: lemote-yeeloong 8101B.

I'm install gNewSense, debian versions stable, testing and unstable on different partitions.

All is functionnal! And free!,...

I'm dispo about all these characteritics!

In France, we can buy to BearsTech http://www.bearstech.com/ ,in Paris: they are very serious and free activists: they promote too the Ben_Nano-Note and the free-phone Free-Runner-OpenMoko! Products I've too! ;-)

More info on the Hackable-Devices' site: http://www.hackable-devices.org/

I'm beginning a web page (in french ;-) but it's just an introduction today...

Thanks to you... and I hope my english is not too poor...

it is interesting for me: how did you bought the lemote? did they send notebook to you by TNT? was there any problems?

roman

Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Роман Новиков

2011/9/29 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>

On Thursday 29 September 2011 10:05:49 Nuno Magalhães wrote:

> some say nice things about

> Thinkpads, others say they're not built as they used to be.

Those 2 statements are not necessarily contradictory. *Thinkpads may still be

good, whilst not being as good as they used to be. *(I rather get the

impresssion that that is the case.)

using now thinkpad edge 14 (even not pure thinkpad!)
proprietary wifi drivers is one and only problem with this notebook.

roman

Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Joe

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:29:27 +0200
Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:

> For a friend of mine, I am going to by a laptop/ In my country
> (france), it is impossible to get computer without $W exccept if you
> get acer.So she want to buy this one:
> eMachines G443-E352G32Mn - Ordinateur Portable 17,3' - AMD E-350
> (1,6 GHz) - 320 Go - RAM 2048 Mo - AMD Radeon HD 6310 - Linpus Linux
> with is equiped with a linpus, which I am going to replace by a
> debian. Since the last acer I bought is still over heating (I am
> using it right now) I would kike to have retourns on the above.

First of all, the sight of the name 'eMachines' causes me to cross my
fingers and reach for the garlic. I once saw an eMachines desktop sold
with XP installed in 128MB of RAM, and a motherboard *maximum* of
256MB, and that included onboard video RAM. Even the original XP wasn't
comfortable in less than about 300MB. I've seen a couple of other
eMachines products which were similarly under-specced and not
especially well built.

Having said that, I'm moderately impressed with Acer, I have a
five-year-old laptop which was the cheapest available then, and which is
still going strong, albeit with a bit more RAM and a bigger drive than
it started with. I have an Acer netbook which was a reburbished product,
and it had an intermittent fault. Once this was actually fixed, it's
done a couple of years with no problems. It also came with Linpus,
which is based on Fedora and not really as terrible as many people say,
once you break out of the kindergarten user interface. I dumped it in
favour of Ubuntu Netbook when it turned out not to have iptables
modules built in, and I didn't feel like building a new kernel on
exotic hardware in an unfamiliar OS. In terms of build quality, I have
no complaints about Acer. I'd put them at least up with the cheaper
Dell and HP products.

--
Joe

Old 09-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Jrg-Volker Peetz

The problem to pay for an unwanted software from $M is one thing (whereat it is
difficult to estimate the cost). But if you need a $W-OS to update the BIOS
(e.g., with my HP Pavilion DV7) is IMHO a much bigger drawback.
Check and clarify this point somehow before bying.
--
Best regards,
Jrg-Volker.