Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default OT: laptop choice

On Thursday 29 September 2011 15:22:50 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> The problem to pay for an unwanted software from $M is one thing (whereat
> it is difficult to estimate the cost). But if you need a $W-OS to update
> the BIOS (e.g., with my HP Pavilion DV7) is IMHO a much bigger drawback.
> Check and clarify this point somehow before bying.

Thank you for all the answers, well if I don't want to pay an OS I will not use,
the only solution here is acer, or buy anyone and go to court and expect a
refund in about 3 years time !!! So my question was nmore: does any of have bad
experience with this one in particular? Home we have 4 acer machines, all but
one working well. The faulty one over heats and I had to set down the cpu
frequency.
As for bios update, I managed to do it with either freedos, or an XP I have on
and old external HD, that I use only for that.
Thierry

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:29:27 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> For a friend of mine, I am going to by a laptop/ In my country (france),
> it is impossible to get computer without $W exccept if you get acer.

JFYI, HP also ships laptops (company/enterprise based) with SLED 11 and/
or FreeDOS:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/fr/fr/sm/WF04a/321957-321957-64295-3955552-3955552.html

(and maybe other brands are doing the same)

> So she want to buy this one:
> eMachines G443-E352G32Mn - Ordinateur Portable 17,3' - AMD E-350 (1,6
> GHz) - 320 Go - RAM 2048 Mo - AMD Radeon HD 6310 - Linpus Linux with is
> equiped with a linpus, which I am going to replace by a debian. Since
> the last acer I bought is still over heating (I am using it right now) I
> would kike to have retourns on the above.

I wouldn't care about the default OS that comes with the laptop¹ but look
for a computer/hardware that suits her needs.

My preferred brands for laptops are Toshiba and HP (the ones I have tested)
and also have good references from Lenovo's (though not directly tried).

¹Windows OEM licences are given to the customer almost at no cost, the
prize is mostly symbolical, just adds a bunch of euros and you can always
make a full image and then remove it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-09-29 a las 10:32 -0700, devadmin escribió:

(this e-mail reached my inbox but I'm not sure it was just intended to
me as I already said I like HP based notebooks -and also their
netbooks, desktop computers and servers- so resending to the list...)

> DO NOT PURCHASE AN HP LAPTOP THEY ARE HIGHLY DEFECTIVE, POOR BUILD,
> CRAP!

Please, don't shout, we are not deaf.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-09-29 a las 20:01 +0200, Erwan David escribió:

(sending back to the list)

> On 29/09/11 18:51, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > My preferred brands for laptops are Toshiba and HP (the ones I have tested)
> > and also have good references from Lenovo's (though not directly tried).
>
> I got a lenovo T510 at work. Works fine with a fedora 14, with nouveau
> graphic driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 29 Sep 2011, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]

> My preferred brands for laptops are Toshiba and HP (the ones I have tested)
> and also have good references from Lenovo's (though not directly tried).

Having used both Thinkpads and HP, I'd never again choose a laptop that
only had a touchpad. I find it almost impossible to avoid hitting the
thing accidentally,. with unexpected results. The little joystick on the
Thinkpads is a decisive advantage.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Mathieu Malaterre

2011/9/29 Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt>:
> 2011/9/29 mforestier <mforestier@free.fr>:
>> Bonjour a toutes et tous!
>> C'est mon premier message sur cette liste!
>
> Hopefully it's also the last in french; there's another list for that:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-french/
>
> As for laptops, i favour Toshiba (just bought one but keeping Windows
> for the moment) and Asus.

You should really keep windows on your toshiba for the moment. I had
to return mine after 6 month of using debian/stable. ACPI support is
just terrible, cooling fans were running 24/7.

Ref:
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Toshiba/Satellite%20L670-1JN/Squeeze

--
Mathieu

Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Joel Roth

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> 2011/9/29 Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt>:
> > As for laptops, i favour Toshiba (just bought one but keeping Windows
> > for the moment) and Asus.
>
> You should really keep windows on your toshiba for the moment. I had
> to return mine after 6 month of using debian/stable. ACPI support is
> just terrible, cooling fans were running 24/7.
>
> Ref:
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Toshiba/Satellite%20L670-1JN/Squeeze

My previous Toshiba laptop (L305 series with H20 BIOS IIRC)
was terrible under Linux, it would often trigger thermal
shutdown before it finished booting!

Yeah, I could have modified the init scripts to throttle
the CPU early.

Once it booted, it ran okay with the CPU locked at 1GHz.

Happy with my Thinkpad T410 i5, although getting the wifi
driver to work was (a medium level of) hellish.

--
Joel Roth

Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 29. September 2011 schrieb Lisi:
> On Thursday 29 September 2011 10:05:49 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> > some say nice things about
> > Thinkpads, others say they're not built as they used to be.
>
> Those 2 statements are not necessarily contradictory. Thinkpads may
> still be good, whilst not being as good as they used to be. (I rather
> get the impresssion that that is the case.)

Actually I am really pleased with that brand new ThinkPad T520 + Intel SSD
320 that I am typing this message on at the moment. Although T520 / T420
should be a first model series with more plastic than metal in the case it
still feels really robust.

For sure that T42 and T23 I have are rocksolid, but for now, I did not
notice anything where the T520 appears as off lowered quality to me. Maybe
I don´t notice everything, granted, but subjectively I am very pleased.

The only thing I was upset about and still am a bit is the model politics.
Each T520 should have at least an eSATA port, not just the ones with
NVidia Optimus. And USB 3 is also lacking from the T series, one need to
buy the W series for this and then also gets a NVidia Optimus.

Dear Lenovo, don´t force NVidia stuff upon me, I am satisfied with Intel
Sandybridge onboard graphics. It plays Supertuxkart in Full HD just nicely
(apart from a hang every now and then which might be a driver problem) and
also the playstation emulator works just well.

Well I now that Lenovo model politicians are probably not reading this.
And put a Delock eSATA expressCard into the one expresscard slot. Thats
also a downgrade. The T42 had two PCMCIA slots.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Lisi

On Friday 30 September 2011 20:47:56 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. September 2011 schrieb Lisi:
> > On Thursday 29 September 2011 10:05:49 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> > > some say nice things about
> > > Thinkpads, others say they're not built as they used to be.
> >
> > Those 2 statements are not necessarily contradictory. Thinkpads may
> > still be good, whilst not being as good as they used to be. (I rather
> > get the impresssion that that is the case.)
>
> Actually I am really pleased with that brand new ThinkPad T520 + Intel SSD
> 320 that I am typing this message on at the moment. Although T520 / T420
> should be a first model series with more plastic than metal in the case it
> still feels really robust.
>
> For sure that T42 and T23 I have are rocksolid, but for now, I did not
> notice anything where the T520 appears as off lowered quality to me. Maybe
> I don´t notice everything, granted, but subjectively I am very pleased.

The only thing that actually matters in this is your subjective judgement!

Lisi

Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Ken Heard