Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Harry Putnam

Default Ill advised blundering = nasty mess

NOTE: Already posted on unbuntu list... but due to it being something
of an urgent matter... and not seeing responses there... I'm posting
here too since the tools are all debian tools.
----- -------- ----- --=-- ----- ------- -----

Due to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
installing sendmail.

I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.

So uninstalled sendmail... with aptitude but it uninstalled a few
other parts of the tools too.

There appear to be several packages involved.
p sendmail
i sendmail-base
C sendmail-bin
i sendmail-cf

As you see, after several attempts at uninstall/reinstall, I now have
some installed and some not. The rub comes with sendmail-bin which is
the package that contains /etc/init.d/sendmail

Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.

I've tried any number of ways to sneak up on it, but aptitude won't
let me. Or more accurately, I don't know how to use aptitude well
enough to resolve the problem.

I tried apt-get with the --force-yes flag, in the hopes of forcing the
install but it didn't work... showed the same dpkg error.

,----
| [...]
| /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
| invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
| dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):
|
| subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
| status 100
|
| Errors were encountered while processing:
| sendmail-bin
| E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
`----

So, can anyone recommend some method to get past this, and get the
pkgs fully installed and configured?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:24:22AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> NOTE: Already posted on unbuntu list... but due to it being something
> of an urgent matter... and not seeing responses there... I'm posting
> here too since the tools are all debian tools.
> ----- -------- ----- --=-- ----- ------- -----
>
> Due to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
> installing sendmail.
>
> I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
> reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.
>
> So uninstalled sendmail... with aptitude but it uninstalled a few
> other parts of the tools too.
>
> There appear to be several packages involved.
> p sendmail
> i sendmail-base
> C sendmail-bin
> i sendmail-cf
>
> As you see, after several attempts at uninstall/reinstall, I now have
> some installed and some not. The rub comes with sendmail-bin which is
> the package that contains /etc/init.d/sendmail
>
> Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
> to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
> missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.
>
> I've tried any number of ways to sneak up on it, but aptitude won't
> let me. Or more accurately, I don't know how to use aptitude well
> enough to resolve the problem.
>
> I tried apt-get with the --force-yes flag, in the hopes of forcing the
> install but it didn't work... showed the same dpkg error.
>
> ,----
> | [...]
> | /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
> | invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
> | dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):
> |
> | subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> | status 100
> |
> | Errors were encountered while processing:
> | sendmail-bin
> | E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> `----
>
> So, can anyone recommend some method to get past this, and get the
> pkgs fully installed and configured?

I imagine that, while configuring sendmail, dpkg tries to stop the
sendmail process by invoking the init script. The init script isn't
there, so it thinks it can't proceed.

Try making a quick file that just returns true and then re-install the
package (apt-get install --reinstall sendmail-bin).

--
Darac Marjal

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Carl Fink

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:24:22AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
> reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.

> Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
> to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
> missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.

> | /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
> | invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
> | dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):

sudo "touch /etc/init.d/sendmail"
sudo "aptitude --purge remove sendmail*"

However my preferred method:

"sudo aptitude install postfix"

Postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail that can be configured by mere
mortals.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM

> NOTE: Already posted on unbuntu list... but due to it being something
> of an urgent matter... and not seeing responses there... I'm posting
> here too since the tools are all debian tools.
> ----- -------- ----- --=-- ----- ------- -----
>
> Due to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
> installing sendmail.
>

> So, can anyone recommend some method to get past this, and get the
> pkgs fully installed and configured?

Please seriously consider using a different mail server package. Choose
among exim, postfix or qmail. All will meet your needs easily, have
better security, and are very easy to setup and configure. Yes, this will
solve your problem of a messed up install plus add value.

Mark

Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail that can be configured by mere
> mortals.

Do you know of a case where postfix was made to use Smarthost
smtp.comcast.net? I'd probably drop sendmail after years of use in
favor of postfix, but the several times I tried to configure it for
comcasts authentication, I failed miserably.

I am probably less than mere mortal...

Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Harry Putnam

>> So, can anyone recommend some method to get past this, and get the
>> pkgs fully installed and configured?
>>

> I imagine that, while configuring sendmail, dpkg tries to stop the
> sendmail process by invoking the init script. The init script isn't
> there, so it thinks it can't proceed.
>
> Try making a quick file that just returns true and then re-install the
> package (apt-get install --reinstall sendmail-bin).

Someone on ubuntu list clued me to the --purge command for apt-get and
that has allowed me to fully uninstall all the various sendmail
related packages and start over.... I've now got it working... Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Joe

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:24:22 -0500
Harry Putnam <harry.put3@gmail.com> wrote:

> Due to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
> installing sendmail.

I've never been near sendmail, so I can't help directly with the
problem.

I've seen the other replies, and:

1) If you need a mail server but have no previous experience, have heard
of sendmail and are unaware of anything else, then yes, I'll join in the
recommendations that you pick a different one. It is notoriously the
most difficult to configure.

2) If you have a specific reason to install sendmail, then do it.
Answers to IT questions which start "well, if I were you I wouldn't try
to fix this, I'd do something completely different" are sometimes
unhelpful, though it is often difficult to guess how much someone
knows, and they may be unaware that there is a method which is usually
considered better and/or easier.

To press ahead, try using dpkg direct, which is more difficult and
dangerous than apt, precisely because it doesn't usually stop you
shooting off a foot. Sometimes that really is what you want to do.
I don't use it often, so start with the man page and figure it out.
Forcible, unconditional removal of something is not too difficult, as
I recall.

But sometimes it doesn't work; your error message comes from dpkg, and
that *may* mean it will still stop you, or it may just mean that apt
wasn't prepared to kick it hard enough.

It happened to me once, oddly enough also with a mail server, exim4. I
was upgrading a distribution and was not warned to throw away my old
configuration file, which prevented full installation of all parts, and
configuration of one of them. Aptitude was helpless, and even dpkg,
invoked with extreme prejudice and maximum swearing, wouldn't remove it
cleanly.

I eventually resorted to reading the file list and hunting them down
one by one, with manual deletion, and I could then reinstall from
scratch. You may have to do that. If necessary, dpkg -i <package>.deb
will install a .deb without a lot of apt's caution. Use it carefully,
when you are sure dependencies are already in place.

Best of luck. Sometimes it comes down to that.

--
Joe

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Alan Chandler

I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.

Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.

| /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
| invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
| dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):

sudo "touch /etc/init.d/sendmail"
sudo "aptitude --purge remove sendmail*"

However my preferred method:

"sudo aptitude install postfix"

Postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail that can be configured by mere
mortals.

Unless the machine is a mail server - ie it receives mail and stores it
there for access by client programs. Then the very easiest package to
install is ssmtp.

I have quite a few machines in my house, but only one is the mail server.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4E834233.60209@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4E834233.60209@chandlerfamily.org.uk